Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Opinions welcomed please provide some input

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 09:47 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
don't know much about Alpine speakers... Why don't you go Eclipse all around, more JDM
Old 11-13-2003, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 1999 OBS
You may want to listen to other brands of speakers like Focal, Diamond Audio, Boston Acoustics. I think they sound better than alpine speakers IMO. I use focal 6 1/2 comps in front.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:38 AM

Car Info: STI
Deejay

Its great to see some great audio advice hear. You touched on a lot of things that I've been trying to for the last few months. I definitely agree with your speaker opinions and the fact that many, many components sets out there tend to cause fatigue when listening at moderate to high volumes. The the rear door remarks are spot on. I've got a set of 5.5pros and they are pretty much non existent, partially because of a lack of power and partially because of location.

a/d/s - sounds better the louder they're played....but I must say the newer models don't sound like they did 5-6 yrs ago. I really liked them....and I'm guessing those are the ones youre running.

dynaudio & image dynamics - right on about them

MBquart - a little too bright for me. My ears get tired of them.

Boston Acoustics - (My personal fav) Very true balanced sound. And very, very kind to your ears. I have Z6s and love them. I could go on and on about this H2 I just listened to yesterday which is now in the cosmetic stages of the install. We listened at very high volumes and you dont even realize it....this will definitely be magazine worthy (even demo car worthy) when its complete......a Boston/Xtant combo that is rock solid.

I also concur with old school Soundstream....

And I do like the new Xtants amps. I'm running 2 Xtants1.1s and a Xtant 6.1 and have been very happy with their performance. And what has Rockford been thinking??? I guess its all about boom and bucks now....thats too bad (but they do have some good deals now!!)

Well I wish I had more time but I don't......goodluck with the system grknss. Oh and dont forget about dampening in the doors...it makes a world of a difference in sound quality and efficiency! And a good Cap....like an Alumapro

And I may have to pick your brain sometime deejay
Old 11-17-2003, 07:39 PM

Car Info: STI
Looking good.....but 1500 for you sub and "only" 75x4 for your components??? I guess we're looking for a lot of boom I'd like to see some shots of the door work when you're done so I can compare with mine.....are they dampening the doors? I'd also like to see shots of the sub enclosure since I might consider a sub floor in the future.

The Power series is better than the Punch but nothing like it used to be. You'll get great output from them but they won't sound as good as amps from xtant or eclipse like deejay mentioned. You'll probably be ok with a RF powering your sub but SQ wise you would do much better if you went with an audiophile type of amp for your components.