Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Non-Subaru Sub and Amp install

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 98/05 RSTi
Non-Subaru Sub and Amp install

I've searched around and have not found anything that tells a stereo wiring newbie how to install a Amp and Sub into an otherwise stock '02 WRX stereo.

Basically I just need to know what I need and how to connect it.
Any wiring diagrams would be helpful but I think I can get those at RavensBlade's site.

Thanks for the help
Eric
Old 09-10-2005, 08:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
you need to buy a hi low converter( i think thats what they are called) basically it works like this you take a left and right channel (left speaker right speaker) tap off the signal this then connects to the hi low converter which then turns your speaker wire input into rca outputs
Old 09-10-2005, 05:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Impreza 2.5TS
Buy an amplifier with a built-in high-level inputs. This will save you $20 for a level converter.
Most of the amplifiers with this feature also have a AUTO turn-on so you do not need to connect the REMOTE connection of the amplifier to the accessory line of the car (located in the radio wire harness)

Locate and splice into the front speaker outputs from the radio - behind the radio will be the best location for this.
Run the wires under the carpet and along the passenger side of the car to the trunk.

Then run a 8awg power wire from front of the car through a grommet in the firewall and down the driver's side of the car to the trunk.

Locate a nice bolt in or near the trunk, remove the bolt and sand away the paint. Connect a ground wire with ring terminal to the bolt and reinstall the bolt.

Mount the amplifier and connect the wires.

**Disclaimer**
Please note these are gerenal instructions and may not reflect everything you need to install the amplifier properly. Please note any wires or lines near and behind panels where you plan to mount something. Warranty does not cover screws through the gas tank, brake lines or computers.

Be careful when removing panels as to not scratch the finish, espically around the radio.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:12 PM

Here is a good site to answer stero wiring questions.

http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/Ordering.htm

I recently bought forward and reverse harnesses, so I could splice, and go back to stock real easy. So far so good, really happy with the service too..... I did a lot from the above message as far as running the wiring, all good advice. I got a line level converter too, since I got a free amp figurered it was worth the $20. All running good so far, but I think i might run the amp'ed power to a 6X9 that I would build a box for, instead of sending it to the stock speakers like I am doing now. I have some 6X9s laying around.