Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Need some help a with JL audio 300/4

Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX WAGON ...WFC #109...
Need some help a with JL audio 300/4

What's up everyone I am audio NOOB and I just bought a JL 300/4 and a JL 500/1 for a JL 10W6V2 and I have a few questions before my friend and I jump in and install them into my 07 wrx wagon.

- Do I need to run new wires to my Alpine coax's in my doors from my amp or do is there a way to use the stock speaker wires?

- How would I get RCA inputs to both amps if my deck only has 1 RCA out?

- Any recommendations on the install kits for both of the amps?

Thank you everyone for you help! I really appreciate it!

-Ronald
Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 PM

Car Info: 2006 AW STi
You don't have to run new speaker wires to the speakers.

You can use stock wires from behind the stock deck. Cut "only" speaker wires once you have identified them as "speaker" wires after deck.

step1. [deck]==(wires)========(speaker)
step2. [deck]==(cut here) ====(speaker)
step3. [deck]== (take direct connected wires to amp)
step4. [deck]== [amp]=====(speaker)

You can get rca y adapters, but wont be able to control all channels with aftermarket deck.

You don't need any thick gauge wires. probably be fine with 10 to 8 gauge. Make sure fuse is within a foot of battery, and properly ground your ground wire.

REMEMBER! don't cut all wires.. there should be a few wires still connected(power, accessory, remote, ground, illumination, dimmer, etc). only cutting a total of 8 speaker wires.

go to crutchfield for wire diagram.

Last edited by ciRe_oNe; 06-16-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i
Personally, if i were you, i'd just buy a spool of like 16gauge wire, that high grade stuff since you got a nice amp, probably only like 30 bucks, and run lines from each individual speaker to the amp. Cleaner signal as opposed to that crummy 20gauge wire they got in there. A lot more work, but pays off in the end.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Car Info: 2009 VW GTI
You cut your stock harness you are screwed for good and your car is ruined.. Run new wires.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 AM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
8 gauge will do just to be sure, pushing 800 watts rms, be say and go with 4 gauge. this way you will prevent future bs from over heating, cutting in and out, possibly burning the wires, fuses dont do their job all the time.

if you only have 1 pair of preouts, you really need a new deck with 3 preouts for full control of your stereo, tuning is very important.

like cire one said, you can reuse the speaker wires behind the deck. cut the speaker wires in half, tape up whatever is attatched to the harness and extend the other half of cut wires to run it to the amp.

btw, please DO NOT run your power wire outside your car...between your front quater panel...that is super ghetto.

and another, depending on where you're placing the amp and how they are possitioned, run wires accordingly so power and rca/speaker wires wont cross. run power on one side and rca/speaker wires on the other and dont cross them at the end when you need to hook them up, this will prevent engine noise.