Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Just got the Viper 791XV installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:52 PM

Car Info: AWD - Driven by what's inside
Good points....
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 PM

Car Info: WREX
Yeah, they need to be faster than a glock to get mine
Old 03-10-2006, 08:06 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
Originally Posted by DimSum
I was told on the Viper 791XV and other models that for a manual tranny vehicals thefts can push start the car with the alarm arm. The 791XV has a starter kill instead of ignition kill. With the alarm arm someone can just push your car, like if your car battery died you can pot the clutch and the car will start without having to jump start it. For manual tranny a starter kill don't really do any good if they decide to steal the car. Clifford (except the lower models) the start kill and ignition kill, to steal the car the theft will have to tow it away or rewire the alarm to get it to start (or have a copy your remote controller).

you can get a wireless immobilizer that connects to the alarm system and then remotely can kill your fuel pump or ignition coils circuit.
then they can not push start the car
they can push it away but it wont start no matter how long they push it.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:17 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
I've been an installer for over 10 years. And after doing it for this long I know that if a thief wants your car he will get it. If I was going to steal a car, I would just pop the hood from out side(all most no alarms have hood pins(you don't unless you asked for it)) and then I would disconnect the battery. Unless you have a backup battery or a self powerd siren(I have not seen them in a while not sure if there still made) your alarm makes no sound while I tow it away. That is how most pro thiefs do it. Few people are going to question someone towing a car.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:47 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Directed 515R is a good self powered siren, Clifford G5 Siren with backup battery, DEI 520T will power the brain and the siren for a while(use two sirens to make it more difficult), but as I said in my previous post, install is 99% of any alarm.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:16 PM

Car Info: '15 WRX
does anyone know hot to turn up the sensitivity? I find that I can pretty much kick my car and nothing happens.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by illusion
Depends on the installer. Mine has a fuel pump cutoff, 2 way starter kill(alarm and ghost switch), and ignition kill. If they can get past the two intenal battery external sires, the 4 interior pain inducers with battery backup, and manage to figure out how to get around the ignition and fuel cut, more power to them. Those are some good thieves.

No alarm is 100% effective, they are there to keep n00bs at bay, and to slow the pros down enough to make them lose interest.

Again, install is 99% of ANY alarm.

Cool, but i could go rent(or buy) a flatbed tow-truck and pull your **** up and drive away. Sure your alarm might go off, but who pays attention, if anyboday asks im the repo guy.

Alarms are worthless IMO. i had the v791 in my truck and have it in a box now, ill keep the stocker though.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:17 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
and if they do make it down the street and noone else calls the police, repo men have to call the police also, then the lojack takes over where the n00b deflector leaves off.

As I said, an alarm only keeps the amatuers at bay, the stereo theives and such, if a real thief wants it he'll take it, but I'm not going to make it easy. I have a beam sensor in my driveway that rings a loud bell in the house if someone pulls in, there are 2 cameras watching the driveway with another watching the street, and I deadbolt my garage door down at night with a 180lb mastiff that sleeps in the garage. If someone can circumvent all of that, more power to them. I hope the .357 python doesn't have a chance to jump up and bite them in the *** though. At work, I park in a gated and guarded garage most of the time.

If you want the ultimate in theft prevention get air bags and drop your car to the ground, then it doesn't matter how agile the tow truck is, it still won't be able to get under.

It's all about minimizing risks.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:43 PM

Car Info: WREX
+1 for minmizing the risks!