Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Just got the Viper 791XV installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 04:31 PM

Car Info: 2001 WRB 2.5RS, Gold Prodrive P1's, Stromung Dual Tip, AEM SRI, Pink "i" fornt badge
Just got the Viper 791XV installed

I just got a Viper 791XV alarm and remote start installed with the 2-way remote. The alarm is awsome, safety and a little performance (built-in Turbo Timer). If anyone is considering this system it is very good. Viper is a good, prestigious company and they make good products. The remote is wicked cool, it has the little LCD screen built in that tells you what is going on with you car when your not in/in veiwing distance to it.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:08 PM

Car Info: 2009 xB
Question

Thinking about getting the same alarm, how does the remote start work with a manual car?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:55 PM

Car Info: '15 WRX
Originally Posted by diddy808
Thinking about getting the same alarm, how does the remote start work with a manual car?
Press the remote start button and hope that your car isnt in gear.

I just had the same system installed and so far its pretty decent.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:24 AM

Car Info: 05 CGM/GOLD STI
you better make sure they connected the neutral safety wire.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:41 PM

Car Info: 2001 WRB 2.5RS, Gold Prodrive P1's, Stromung Dual Tip, AEM SRI, Pink "i" fornt badge
the what? diddy my car is a 4eat
Old 10-05-2005, 08:15 AM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
791xv is decent for bling. The best alarm for actual security is still the last gen Clifford Avantguard IV with blackjax. With that being said I installed a 791xv in my car as well, battery backup, twin shock sensors(more coverage with less falsing), proximity sensor, tilt/motion sensor, a pair of 530T window modules, a few interior pain inducers, two external sirens with internal backup batteries, backup battery for the brain and a few other things, oh and I actually installed it so the brain IS NOT right under the dash.

Any alarm can be good, install is 99% security, what's inside the little boxes doesn't mean whole lot, again with the exception of the avantguard 4. I bet I can disable 95% of the alarms on the market in under a minute. Look under the drivers dash, look at the ignition harness and follow the wires, if indeed I can't already see the brain whick most alarm installs leave in plain sight.

As far as remote start in a manual. Most places won't install it without at least having a waiver. Thankfully subaru was smart enough to put in a neutral switch so you can use that as a bit of a precaution.

Also viper isn't really that pretigious of a company. Directed Started out making complete ****e but made a cash cow and started buying up every competitor. They are decent, and yes one of the better alarms these days, but back in the day alpine and clifford(before DEI bought them) were hands down the best to had. Unfortunately these days Alpine doesn't put serious development into their alarms(compared to what the alpine 8080 was for it's time), and DEI owns most of the companies now.

Last edited by illusion; 10-05-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:50 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

DEI own ALL these days...

i had a clifford 600 in my toyota truck and that was the 2nd top of the line around 1995.

man, i was so spoiled by that. it has window modules too. now i have to make sure to roll up all the windows before... lol...
Old 10-27-2005, 03:55 PM

Car Info: WREX
I also have the 791XV installed in my other car - Mazda Thinking about taking it out and installing it in the Subie or the wifes SUV. I know nothing about car alarm installation - Is there anyone here that is good with stereo un-install and install? I would be willing to part with some cash if I have to.........
Old 10-27-2005, 10:48 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
clifford and viper alarms are made by the same company = DEI
Old 10-27-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by WREXNFX
clifford and viper alarms are made by the same company = DEI
Already been said, but thanks for joining in You can still find Avantguad IVs if you know where to look, which was before Directed bought them.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:11 AM

Car Info: AWD - Driven by what's inside
I am Clifford customer before they got sold to DEI.
FYI: For people that installed the Viper 791XV for manual tranny, did you guys know that stealing your Subie (w/o engine immobilizer ) is very easy. They could push start your Subie and drive away, your starter kill will not have a affect.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DimSum
I am Clifford customer before they got sold to DEI.
FYI: For people that installed the Viper 791XV for manual tranny, did you guys know that stealing your Subie (w/o engine immobilizer ) is very easy. They could push start your Subie and drive away, your starter kill will not have a affect.
What do you mean when you say "they could push start your subie and drive away?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:53 AM

Car Info: AWD - Driven by what's inside
I was told on the Viper 791XV and other models that for a manual tranny vehicals thefts can push start the car with the alarm arm. The 791XV has a starter kill instead of ignition kill. With the alarm arm someone can just push your car, like if your car battery died you can pot the clutch and the car will start without having to jump start it. For manual tranny a starter kill don't really do any good if they decide to steal the car. Clifford (except the lower models) the start kill and ignition kill, to steal the car the theft will have to tow it away or rewire the alarm to get it to start (or have a copy your remote controller).
Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 PM

Well, they would need to do a little work before they start pushing the car - Like breaking in, popping/breaking the ignition, disconnecting the siren (so not to bring attention).......Yeah, they could push the car, but only after doing all of the other stuff first.

Don't get me wrong this is good information from you!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:19 PM

Depends on the installer. Mine has a fuel pump cutoff, 2 way starter kill(alarm and ghost switch), and ignition kill. If they can get past the two intenal battery external sires, the 4 interior pain inducers with battery backup, and manage to figure out how to get around the ignition and fuel cut, more power to them. Those are some good thieves.

No alarm is 100% effective, they are there to keep n00bs at bay, and to slow the pros down enough to make them lose interest.

Again, install is 99% of ANY alarm.

Quick Reply: Just got the Viper 791XV installed