Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

head unit removal and install

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 11:54 PM

Car Info: 2004 Blue Pearl WRX
head unit removal and install

Just got an '04 WRX, can anyone explain to me how to install a head unit that I currently have (Pioneer DEHP7400MP). Instructions for the removal of the stock unit are needed as well. If there is a reducer needed for the new head unit, can you please post where this can be found. As always, thanks a million!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:01 AM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Here's a link on how to remove the stock unit. Your's should be very close to the same idea as this.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5537

I am not very familiar with aftermarket stereos so I can't help ya there. But it might be similar to the reverse order of taking out the stock one...or somebody else on here might be able to help.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:15 PM

Car Info: wrx
ok so now i kno how to take it apart and get to the stock head unit.i was wondering if there were input and output conections on the back side of the head unit so i could hook up my subs?if am i gonna have to get a rca connector?and how do i power the amp?am i gonna have to wire it into the stock harness?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX wagon, Stock... for now
Originally Posted by subieking05
ok so now i kno how to take it apart and get to the stock head unit.i was wondering if there were input and output conections on the back side of the head unit so i could hook up my subs?if am i gonna have to get a rca connector?and how do i power the amp?am i gonna have to wire it into the stock harness?
If you are going to power an amp, you DO NOT do it off the stock stereo harness. You can use the antena 12v lead to turn on the amp, but your + and - connections need much more in the way of capacity than the factory wiring harness.

While the theories and practices of stereo install at this level aren't rocket science, they do require a basic understanding of the requirements for each piece of equipment and the load they put on the electrical system. You may want to find someone local that is well versed in this, and see if they can help you out, or if you can stop by and watch when they do an install. It's much easier to understand the advice someone would give you on a message board after you've visually familiarized yourself with the process and components. I hope this doesn't come off as terse or aloof, but a poorly installed sound system can burn your car to the ground, and I'd hate to see someone with good intentions end up in that situation.

Best regards,
Chris