An invitation to drive : Its Road Rally Time!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 11:34 PM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
Originally posted by nic3krnnamja83
dude i co drive with someone, i hike and camp so i am awesome with maps
I may be driving down from Berkeley for this event. I was orginally going to crew with a friend, but think he has to work now.

If you're still interested in co-driving let me know. I was planning on running solo, figuring it was too late to find a navigator. I ran the Nov '01 17 hour ITN solo and finished.

I will know by this weekend whether or not I'm coming down and if I'm running or crewing.

Jane
91 Honda Civic Wagon - Sleeper
Old 02-19-2004, 12:29 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX | 95 GC
Originally posted by RallyWagon
I may be driving down from Berkeley for this event. I was orginally going to crew with a friend, but think he has to work now.

If you're still interested in co-driving let me know. I was planning on running solo, figuring it was too late to find a navigator. I ran the Nov '01 17 hour ITN solo and finished.

I will know by this weekend whether or not I'm coming down and if I'm running or crewing.

Jane
91 Honda Civic Wagon - Sleeper
dude i co drive with someone, i hike and camp so i am awesome with maps

Looks like we got a north+south match

hey I'm liking this matching thing, we gotta do this from the start for the March event.

RR
Old 02-19-2004, 06:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
90% sure let me know if u are going fo sho then i can go from there to let u know
Old 02-19-2004, 06:32 PM
VIP Member

hey can u give me roughly a better description of poitn to point the race is. need to prepare. and do we need like race suit and helemt and stuff
Old 02-19-2004, 07:14 PM

nah you don't need anything special.

Here's a list of things that I have when I do this. And this is from the perspective of a Novice, since I have only done a couple of these.
  • Flashlight
  • highlighters
  • snacks: redvines, beef jerky and powerbars
  • cooler with soda and water
  • one bottled water in the cup holder (thats mine, the navigator can figure on where to jam theirs on their side of the car)
  • two different wieght jackets, never know what the weather will bring.
  • charged cell phone yes there will be a number to call just in case.
  • pens or pencils
  • lipbalm and sunscreen
  • compass
  • straight endge / ruler
  • sunglasses
  • gas cards and money
  • Headache medicine and Dramamine !!!

the ones in bold I consider essential.

basically be comfortable, and ready to sit in the car for a while

as for the jist of a Monte Carlo Style Rally. You will be given genralized maps and route instructions. They will indicate the check points that you need to get and at what time. You are exspected to get there on time (not early or late) you will be assesed a point for every tenth of a minute you are early or late for your assigned time. The instructions are bit vague and you are to determine where the checkpoint is by the clues given in the intruction and the map, as well as clues you pick up along the way. You are familiaer with orienteering then you will have a head start when they ask you about compasscoordinates and such.

As for the driving, the courses are planned at or below the speed limit...if you don;t get lost or don't take the wrong path. The roads are generally all backroads or little used streets, many of which are curvy canyon types. As they like to say....opportunities for spirited drving abounds

in summary you will know what time you need to be somwhere, you will be given clues as how to get there and its up to you and your driver to figure out the best route and get there on time.

as complicated as it sounds it really a lot of fun

please feel free to ask more questions if you need clarification.
RR
Old 02-19-2004, 10:34 PM

90% sure let me know if u are going fo sho then i can go from there to let u know
Okay. I should be able to let you know by Monday, if that is not too late?

I agree with Rapid-Roo's list of things to bring. I have plenty of interior lights, highlighters, pens, stopwatches, clipboards. I also have a tiny compass, but if you have one too that would be great. Snacks, drinks, money for gas are also essential.

I usually split the cost of entry fee ($20 or it may be free this time) and gas used on the rally with my co-driver. You okay with that? My car gets about 30mpg.

I've done a few of these rallies, so have an idea of what to do.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:01 PM
VIP Member

hey rallywagon, sorry i just found out i have work out of state this weekend, free trip to las vegas for me. i wish u the best and hopepfully next time i will be your navigator. aim me if u wish to keep in contact throughout i am very interested in roadrally hopefully next time.

aim: s202impreza

sincerley brandon
Old 02-22-2004, 10:35 PM

Brandon,

Have fun in Vegas. If you are out near the Vegas Speedway Mon-Fri, check out the Shelby Cobra factory. They have a small museum and an interesting behind the scenes tour.

Definitely keep in touch about navigating in the future. I'm planning to be at the next ITN rally on March 27th. Same story though at the moment, not sure yet if I'm crewing or competing.

Probably showing my age, but what do you mean by "aim"? I presume it must be some form of communication?

Best way to contact me is by email <dancer AT musician DOT org> obviously change the "at" and "dot" first.

Jane
Old 02-23-2004, 12:05 AM
VIP Member

oh instant messanger lol, how old are u exactly, i am 20...yeah march 27th sounds great
Old 02-23-2004, 12:50 PM

Okay, I've heard of instant messaging, but have never used it. You can either send me a PM or an email.

BTW, it's a good thing I have a sense of humour because you should never ask a lady her age!! Let's just say 1984 was the year I got married

I'll let you know about March 27th ... not sure yet if I'm working or competing. If my friend can get off work early enough I will work the event with him. If not, then hopefully you can navigate for me.

Jane
Old 02-23-2004, 05:45 PM
VIP Member

muahaha hehe ok sorry! -.-, well why doesnt ur husband be ur navigator
Old 02-23-2004, 09:45 PM

That's okay, I had a good laugh!

Husband no longer in the picture. Friend who has navigated many times in the past is in school on Saturdays this semester. Another friend may crew with me if he is not working that Saturday.

I'll check in with you nearer the time.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:39 PM

Here is the map to START

Red[*] is the START location

If you exit at Valley Circle from the 101, the only gas station is a Shell Station on the North Side of the 101.

If you exit from from the 101 and go northbound on Topanga Cyn, there are quiet a few along the way before you get to Roscoe.

If you come from the 118 and exit Topanga Cyn, there are a couple on the corner of Lassen (I think, thereabout at least).

The northbound trip up Valley Circle is very pleasant and nice precursor to the start of the Rally. But please be advised this is a heavily traversed route with a residential neighborhood in it. There has been one death and the local PD have bee seen in number patrolling the area. (Don't worry our rally route will take you far from here.)

RR
Old 02-24-2004, 09:39 PM
VIP Member

grrrrrr i wanna do it, i wish i could get out work!!!!!!!!! sounds so exciting hehe. hey is the next rally same route, or will it still be in so cali? i am defintelly gonna do this one
Old 02-24-2004, 10:27 PM

they are never the same route. sometimes they reuse some of the best roads, but the routes change. It will be a Socal thing for sure. Last year, the second event was from Ontarior to Temecula.

I will post new info soon, probably as soon as I get home from this one. We'll start a fresh thread on it.

RR

Quick Reply: An invitation to drive : Its Road Rally Time!