Go Back  i-Club > Regional Forums > SoCal > SoCal Events
An invitation to drive : Its Road Rally Time! >

An invitation to drive : Its Road Rally Time!

Notices

An invitation to drive : Its Road Rally Time!

Old 02-04-2004, 05:23 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX | 95 GC
Lightbulb An invitation to drive : Its Road Rally Time!

It’s that time of year again. Time to blow the cobwebs off of your driving shows and gloves and get back in the seat for some driving time. For some of us its time to do some Auto-X, or road racing at a local track or maybe just getting down to Dromo1 for an assault on their track record. For some of us it is time to see what the winter has done to the wonderful scenery that surrounds our favorite backroads. This February 28, 2004 will be the “Training Wheels” Road Rally held by Into the Night Ralley Team. It is open to all road legal vehicles and requires no special equipment. About the only thing that you will need is a car, a co-driver and flashlight to read maps at night. It will take place on paved roads and should be about 5 hours. I know it sounds like a lot of drive time, but you won’t be sitting in traffic, you will be driving down some of the best backroads that Southern California has to offer.

into the night rallye team proudly presents
TRAINING WHEELS
5 hr Monte Carlo style road rally
and FREE Navigators School

******February 28, 2004*****

ALL LEGAL VEHICLES WELCOME. NO SPECIAL EQUIPMENT REQUIRED. This event is an easy, map-based, backroad-oriented, timed event for first-time entrants and experts alike.

This is not a race. It is intended to be a test of your map-reading and instruction-following capabilities. However, you are expected to run "on time". Think if it as a giant board game, with the roads and landscape of California for a board and you and your car for a game piece.

Opportunities for spirited driving will abound. Paved roads only. 2 people per car (driver and navigator) are suggested. Event runs rain or shine. There are 3 classes: Novice, Regular, and Expert. We suggest you bring a clipboard, pen, paper, 3 different colored highlight markers, and a light inside the car, other than the dome light, to read the maps at night.

The entry fee for this event is FREE TO NOVICES and only $20 per car for Regular and Expert. Please preregister if possible. VISA and Mastercard accepted. Send your name, address, phone, and with credit card info and signature, or check/money order payable to ITN, to the address below. If you can't preregister, please call or email us so we will know you are coming. All entries must bring registration, proof of insurance, and your driver's license to the Start.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS - SAT. February 28, 2004

Registration/Instruction Location:
Eagles Bar and Grill, 23360 Lake Manor Dr., Chatsworth (nw SF Valley) 818 883 0000
Registration Opens: 10:00 AM
Novice Orientation: 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Reg/Exp Instructions out: 12:00 Noon
1st car out of START: 2:01 PM
1st car to FINISH: 7:00 PM (approx., near Magic Mtn)

ITN, P.O. Box 642261, L.A., CA 90064. 310 556 8305
© 2002, Into The Night Rallye Team.

More Info click here
Old 02-05-2004, 12:24 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
who wants to be my codriver?
Old 02-07-2004, 12:37 AM

:banana:
Old 02-07-2004, 09:10 PM

Old 02-08-2004, 10:18 AM

a post from that other place

Originally posted by Roo
What??

You think these guys can drive?? ...Well, maybe Neaners, but the rest of them??

They're afraid of putting mileage on their cars... :devil:
Now Now....

we know that:
there are those that baby their cars, there are those that put them on pedestals...
there are those that use them up and maybe abuse them...
there are those that just want to find out what they can do...

No matter where you fall in those groups, here's a chance for you to find out what you and your car can do. Having done a few of these I can say that you can go out have fun, drive as hard as you dare and not trash your car. I think the worst thing that has happened was that I scrapped the bottom of the front lip when I went through a dip at well over the speed limit. Heed the DIP signs. (along with the "road ends" signs!!....I have no experience with this one )

Here is a event for the non-dirt rally folks. You got 17"s or 18"s on maybe a bit of a drop. No worries. You got some mods that have been untested, wondering what type of g-forces the new suspension can dish out, curious about the sound of a full cat back against the canyon walls or though a tunnel, this could be a place to find out. Got some HIDs that need some exercise? Did I mention its a night time event. Got a friend that says they are the king of all map reading, time to put them on the spot. Have a new car and are suffering from the braking in blues.... this will fix it.

After having said all that, I don't want to paint a picture of a Canonball run through the canyons. Its more structured than that, safer than that, and about 10x as fun.

At any rate, I hope to see some new faces out there. Last years training wheels event had a lot of Subies show, but you know what we were out numbered by the Diamondstar boys and girls. (if anyone comes up to you and asks you if you are "3G", say no "I'm 4H"....they won't get it, heck you might not either, but I thought it was funny )

cya'll out there
RR
Old 02-09-2004, 11:23 AM

Man...I'd love to go, but not too sure if I can find a co-driver.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:33 AM

ask around, never know what people will say. Ask your other car buddies... maybe do a swtich-a-roo. "I'll drive this one and you drive the next one" type of deal.

Even non-car or non-driving folks can get into. There are plenty of GF and wives that navigate. There was even one guy who had his mom navigate. They did well is his Outback sport!, but its his time to pay up, I hear that she will be driving an M3 while he navigates on one soon

RR
Old 02-10-2004, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 12 Impreza Wagon, RIP 91 Honda Civic Wagon :(
I'm thinking of driving down from Berkeley for this ... any info on cheap accommodation near the start and finish?

91 Honda Civic Wagon - Sleeper
Old 02-10-2004, 01:57 PM

The finish as far as I know is in the area near Magic Mountain, Valencia, Ca. There should be quiet a few of the generic hotel/motel places nearby.

RR
Old 02-18-2004, 04:45 PM

here is a sample of an 8hr Road Rally. This is NOT the one we are running on the 28th.

I just finished doing pre-rally check of the course and instructions. Drove all of the roads. And its going to a fun day for everyone. There is Zero chance of doing any off-roading. All the road are well paved and some even better than I ever remember them. Spectacular views on some of them as well.

the only clues I am giving are that the total running time will be 5 hours but less than 250 miles.

cya'[email protected]
RR
Old 02-18-2004, 06:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
dude i co drive with someone, i hike and camp so i am awesome with maps
Old 02-18-2004, 07:02 PM

cool, I will try and find you a driver.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx
I would absolutely love to go, but you happened to pick the same day as the D1 drift event, so no for me

Will you be posting when the next event like this is?
Old 02-18-2004, 07:43 PM

ITN has these planned more than a year in advance, permits, paperwork and all the logistics take forever to get together. Its unfortunate that D1 chose the same day as ITN but oh well.

I will post the March event as soon as this one is done. If you can reserve March 27th. Thats when the next one is. Its an 8 hour Road Rally.

RR
Old 02-18-2004, 09:47 PM

thank you mods for making this a sticky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An invitation to drive : Its Road Rally Time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.