questions about my oil burning problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 01:47 PM

i think im burning oil

hey guys its happened to me twice. i have an 05 sti. it has about 8100 miles and about every 3000 miles im low on oil about 1 1/2 quarts low.I use mobil 1 and i dont see any oil leaks. Do u guys think im burning oil. I also drive my car pretty hard if that has anythuing to do with it. Tell what u think thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 02:05 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
thats normal for an STi try to get a catch can and see if you losing it that way too
Old 08-28-2005, 03:20 PM

I'm a bit suprised to see it on the 05's but I guess its expected. There is a long debate on the culprit (rings, pistons, enging break in or oil type). Check your rear bumper around the exhaust. If its shooty and oily then you need to be careful because you may be burning a little oils off boost and at low PRM. That is bad.

If it is'nt then chances are you're burning only at high RPM and High Boost. (at high rpm and boost you are going fast enough where the oil will not hit the bumper.)

I always had a problem with the break in. I personally think the engine break in has to be done with conventional oil. The breakin process or seating means that the new parts are wearing down to a point where they fit or seat with one another. I think when high quality oil is used first the parts become so well lubicated that they do not wear which hinders the seating process. I'm only using the cause and effect theory and have not done any testing or comparison to validate this claim, but that is what I think.

Back to your question: Keep a eye on it. You should see about 1qt low at 2500 miles. I change the oil at 2500 miles because you can add the qt at 2500 but you will just dump it when you hit 3000 just 500 miles later. Might as well change the oil at 2500 and save the qt.

It is my opinion that the US 04 and 05 STI still has the RS engine components with an STi turbo bolted on it. The WRX's do not have this oil burning problem because the components are built to run in a turbo engine. I think that the US STi has the RS engine. Don't take this as STi bashing because I own one also. I'm just telling it like I see it.

At one point I myself was going through 1 qt every 250 miles or 1 tank of gas. It finally spun a bearing. Mine died at 45,000 miles but it was warranteed because I never moded anything on the engine, not one bolt. The only mod on the car was a cat back.

Oh, are you detonation? it's a clicking sound when you hit 4500 to 5000 RPM. If so then your rings could be taking a beating but you will have to monitor it to really find out. I bring this up because is was prevalent in the 04's and it was a factory reflash that cleared that problem, but with todays gas (if bad) and hot weather the detonation can occur.

Try to take it easy for 2500 miles and compare the oil loss. The way you can do it is set your shift light to 4500 to remind you. I know it is hard but you got to do it.
This could be the prelude to some bad stuff, also check for oil splatting on the ground behind your normal parking place below your exhaust.

One
Old 08-28-2005, 10:18 PM
9 to 5 mod

take this as the word of god
Old 08-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
i was low on oil for like 10-15K I just kept refilling it every few thousand miles eventually my engine died while I made a u-turn.

driveshaft seized, bent rod, ring stuck in piston valve.

dealer couldn't find a problem so they warrantied me a new block. cool stuff.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by Ichinobu

I always had a problem with the break in. I personally think the engine break in has to be done with conventional oil. The breakin process or seating means that the new parts are wearing down to a point where they fit or seat with one another. I think when high quality oil is used first the parts become so well lubicated that they do not wear which hinders the seating process. I'm only using the cause and effect theory and have not done any testing or comparison to validate this claim, but that is what I think.

One
+1
used regular oil until i hit 15k then changed to synthetic... no oil consumption as of yet *knocks on wood*
Old 08-29-2005, 10:17 AM

questions about my oil burning problem

u guys said u run conventional oil till about 15k miles would it be ok to change back to conventional from mobil 1. also. if there is no oil on my bumper and no oil where i normally park thats good right
Old 08-29-2005, 10:19 AM
kym

Car Info: Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by stilix
u guys said u run conventional oil till about 15k miles would it be ok to change back to conventional from mobil 1. also. if there is no oil on my bumper and no oil where i normally park thats good right
Wow, you really need to IM sigma pi. He needs some new material for the "awesome IM conversations" thread.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by stilix
The film on your bumper would tells you that you are burning oil even on idle. There is a difference from rich exhaust gas film and oil based film.

If you have an oil buning problems the oil normally settles in the cylinders over night. When you start the engine up in the morning the oil is shot out of the exhaust and leaves a splatter trail below your exhaust.

Note that these are simple indications that an oil problem could be at hand. Just keep an eye out for these things and monitor the changes.

One
Old 08-29-2005, 10:51 AM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by kym
Wow, you really need to IM sigma pi. He needs some new material for the "awesome IM conversations" thread.
i can handle the IM but man when i get a PM of a technical question i go bonkers like no other
Old 08-29-2005, 10:52 AM
kym

Originally Posted by sigma pi
i can handle the IM but man when i get a PM of a technical question i go bonkers like no other
Hah, which leads me to the age old question .... Do people ever use the search function anymore?
Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by kym
Hah, which leads me to the age old question .... Do people ever use the search function anymore?
well if its in scic... the thread gets hijacked by post 3 keke and the question never gets answered
Old 08-29-2005, 10:57 AM
kym

Originally Posted by BLITZSTI
well if its in scic... the thread gets hijacked by post 3 keke and the question never gets answered
True, wise one.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Sigma PI

Didn't you watch Million Dollar Baby?

You are Scrap and they are Danger!

Help them out. Remember, they are trying to be WRC champion of the world.

One

No reference to Stilix

Last edited by Ichinobu; 08-29-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:40 AM
9 to 5 mod

i merged them for you