Site Suggestions and Feedback Submit your input and suggestions - help us make i-Club a better place.

Censorship

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Ali,

I can really appreciate what you're trying to do here. I really can. I apologized for my language because I now know that it wasn't the right thing to say on the board. I also apologized for letting the joking get a little out of hand on here, since all this talk was about that, just joking.

However, I'd like to see two things happen here (I know it isn't my board, but you can always request something), 1. that the mods be a little more respectful (and professional) in their moderating and enforcing of the rules (which aparently has already been addressed), 2. that the rules are carried through completely, and not only enforced on certain "touchy" or "sensative" peoples, I've read numerous occasions where I was offended by talk about mexicans, illegal immigrants, messicans, and what have you. I know this is a public forum, and I understand that people are going to say what they want, and that's why I haven't really asked that anything be done about it.

Now that I have been banned for such talk, I feel as though all other talks around the same subject (racism) should also be punished in the same manner I was.

And just so you know I'm not just bringing this outta no where, here's a search for just the one term "messican" (most of the posts are from sric, and some of them are from the mods themselves):

https://www.i-club.com/forums/search...archid=1182858

That's pretty much the jist of what I was trying to say in this thread.

Thanks for reading. And thanks to the moderators, there have been countless times quite a few of them have helped me out with certain situations.

And Gagan is sexy.

nuff said.

wait, one more thing...

Last edited by SubyN00by; 02-18-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:36 AM
spt

Car Info: Proj STI, Evo, JDM 180sx Time Attack, & A3
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
Ali,

I can really appreciate what you're trying to do here. I really can. I apologized for my language because I now know that it wasn't the right thing to say on the board. I also apologized for letting the joking get a little out of hand on here, since all this talk was about that, just joking.

However, I'd like to see two things happen here (I know it isn't my board, but you can always request something), 1. that the mods be a little more respectful (and professional) in their moderating and enforcing of the rules (which aparently has already been addressed), 2. that the rules are carried through completely, and not only enforced on certain "touchy" or "sensative" peoples, I've read numerous occasions where I was offended by talk about mexicans, illegal immigrants, messicans, and what have you. I know this is a public forum, and I understand that people are going to say what they want, and that's why I haven't really asked that anything be done about it.

Now that I have been banned for such talk, I feel as though all other talks around the same subject (racism) should also be punished in the same manner I was.

And just so you know I'm not just bringing this outta no where, here's a search for just the one term "messican" (most of the posts are from sric, and some of them are from the mods themselves):

https://www.i-club.com/forums/search...archid=1182858

That's pretty much the jist of what I was trying to say in this thread.

Thanks for reading. And thanks to the moderators, there have been countless times quite a few of them have helped me out with certain situations.

And Gagan is sexy.

nuff said.

wait, one more thing...
I understand where you are coming from, but I think the way to handle it should be different. Meaning if you got slapped with points that you feel others are getting away with, then the easiest thing to do is to pm me (or another mod) or report a post you feel is inappropriate. I can't control everything that happens on the site so the more I know the better I can help. Causing more drama or threads like these really don't help the situation, it just makes things worse.

You all also have to understand that we are all humans and we do make mistakes. No mod or admin is perfect but as long as we all have one goal in mind I'm sure we can work things out.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 AM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
Originally Posted by sigma pi
I am glad one of the members gets it

and wtf is a slope?
thanks!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by spt
I understand where you are coming from, but I think the way to handle it should be different. Meaning if you got slapped with points that you feel others are getting away with, then the easiest thing to do is to pm me (or another mod) or report a post you feel is inappropriate. I can't control everything that happens on the site so the more I know the better I can help. Causing more drama or threads like these really don't help the situation, it just makes things worse.

You all also have to understand that we are all humans and we do make mistakes. No mod or admin is perfect but as long as we all have one goal in mind I'm sure we can work things out.
I can understand that too. The drama is what makes BAIC BAIC...I love it.

haha, but as far as the modding is concerned, I am offended by certain things, but I just let them slide. I don't like reporting posts, because I don't like it when others report my posts.

And as far as the mods go, I love them all to death, and that's why I'm not affraid to say something if one acts stupid...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Hugo, I understand what you're saying about not reporting posts, but given that we're not in all of the forums, and that different people (members as well as mods) are going to interpret posts different ways, reporting is one of the only ways we can ensure something that's causing a problem is going to get looked at.

I won't say there's never going to be bias, I won't say there will never be mistakes, but the mods are part of the community too. It's not a power trip, it's a responsibility to the club as a whole to try and keep things clean. We all want to see this place thrive and grow, and part of that is ensuring that, as much as possible, if someone new to a community looks at a thread or does a search, he's not going to come up with threads full of all this negative crap that's been growing lately.

As for "messican", I wasn't aware it had negative connotations; any reference I used was to a specific friend who refers to himself that way, but I'll discontinue it regardless and apologize for any offense garnered by it.

It comes down to this. If you see something you're honestly offended by, whether it's racial, sexual, etc, report the post so we at least have a chance to address it. If you're having a problem with a specific mod, Charles and Ali have already said they're open to that feedback so they can follow up as well.

Thanks.

-Aaron
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 AM

^ Thanks Aaron. I appreciate your response.

I don't ever take anything on here seriously, hence you will most likely never see a complaint about something said on here.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Fair enough, and I hear ya. I don't take too much seriously, but I've also seen what happens to people that do; they get jumped on pretty bad by all of the people who are "just having fun." I've done it too, I'm not innocent. I know you personally have a pretty thick skin and a lot of the discussions are coming up recently are based on principle and not on specific events, and that's justifiable, but some of the "points" that are being brought up in the BAIC threads are being done in a pretty immature/inflammable way (not directing this at you), and I think that's what we're trying to address. Discussing is great and appreciated, people trying to find every racial slur out there to prove a point misses the crux of the issue, which is that the swear filter and racial comments are two separate issues.

I really just want to point out to other users who are offended by posts, etc, that it's ok to bring them to our attention. We're going to miss things, and, as multiple other mods have said, we want to be as fair as possible. Trying to clean up the club image does (unfortunately for some) come with some requests to keep the board more family and n00b friendly.

I want to thank the people who are continuing to keep up dialogs so we can figure out what works and what doesn't. Again, we're all a part of the same community at the end of the day.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:11 PM

sounds good to me, I'm just here to try and get gagan to go out with me...
Old 02-18-2008, 06:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
I think we should just let this die...

We DON'T need more censorship. I don't think anything should be censored.. but then again what do I know?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by blue blurr
I don't think anything should be censored.. but then again what do I know?

Last edited by sigma pi; 02-19-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
since we cant use REAL swear words, we have to resort to racial slurs, it happens.
As long as it isnt "hate speech" or "fighting words" as described by the Supreme Court , then it should be allowed plain & simple.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM
spt

Car Info: Proj STI, Evo, JDM 180sx Time Attack, & A3
Okay I think this issue has been talked to death and I really don't want to keep bringing this up. I think if we all work together we can find a happy medium.