Site Suggestions and Feedback Submit your input and suggestions - help us make i-Club a better place.

Censorship

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Censorship

Hi,

If you feel the need to censor certain things we say, then you actually need to do it and censor everything.

How can you have words like *** and ****** censored, but not yank, slope, *****. Slope and ***** are WAY worse then j a p. J a p is just short for Japanese, since when did that become offensive?

That is all.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
How about trogladite? Can we say trogladite?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
spick? *******? jagger?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 PM
VIP Member

If you are going to censor racial remarks, then you might have to censor sexual remarks also. ****, dick, *******...

I'll be damned, **** is censored.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:40 PM

Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM

Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by blue blurr
Hi,

If you feel the need to censor certain things we say, then you actually need to do it and censor everything.

How can you have words like *** and ****** censored, but not yank, slope, *****. Slope and ***** are WAY worse then j a p. J a p is just short for Japanese, since when did that become offensive?

That is all.
*** is a old-timey WWII slur, and I would still consider it as bad as the rest.

Even if most of europe is okay with it these days, in this country its still not cool.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 PM

I hear people talking about messicans on here all the time, specially in your guy's daily threads...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:45 PM
VIP Member

I'm sorry but I do not agree at all. *** is short for japanese, it would be the same as calling a Chinese person a Chi, or a German person Ger. I don't see how that is offensive at all.

Regardless, if *** is censored slope and ***** should certainly be censored. Not only that, why isn't ******* censored?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
VIP Member

*****, Slope, ******, *******, honky all need to be censored if *** and ****** are censored.

This world is about equality and getting rid of racism. Well start by being equal on what you censor!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM

eracism...
Old 02-17-2008, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
How about you guys censor yourselves and not use those words - problem solved! Just because the filter has some words and not others doesn't mean you have to use them. Ask yourselves this, would you use those words in public?

I can't believe you're all still arguing about this crap.

Do you know what started all of this? Several people in the SRiC making racial remarks and using the N word. When has that word EVER been acceptable? Why are several BAIC guys now arguing for their right to use that word?

The internet is color blind since people are hidden behind faceless user names, but we do have black members. One of those members took offense to the N word being used on this forum and I don't blame him. It has no place on a car forum or anywhere else. I issued points and a temporary ban (automatic based on points) to the SRiC member that originally set this off. He was man enough to admit his error and apologize to the i-club member he offended.

I informed the other mods about this and we all agreed things had gotten out of hand. I guess you can blame us for not doing our jobs as well as we should have. For that I apologize.

Then of course a couple of people start blaming the mods for enforcing the rules on curse words. Calling us all ****'s and likening us to Subiegal and nasioc. Give me a break. Maybe a lot of these folks are noobs or just have memory loss, but we have always had a swear filter on i-club. Alex had always asked the mods to enforce the swear filter dodging rule. Hell, Alex used to get pissed when someone used "WTF" in their thread title. But when the new site owners posted the actual rules, all the naysayers came out of the woodworks predicting the end of i-club and whining of censorship. In reality, nothing had changed. But there's no drama in the status quo, is there?

So what's the big deal with having a swear filter? Can you not communicate without cursing? How do you survive in life? If I had to spew swear words in a meeting in order to communicate, I'd be fired.

Okay, so I'm not naive. We all throw swear words around when hanging with the guys and telling stories and whatnot. Hell, I work in construction so I've heard it all. I've also changed the spark plugs in a Subaru so I've even created new swear words. But I don't go out of my way to avoid the swear filter on this site. It takes more effort than just typing the word you would have used and letting the filter do its job.

That's all we're asking you to do - let the filter do its job. That is not censorship. And again, it's no different than the rules that were set out when this site was founded years ago.

With regards to racial slurs, leave them all out of your conversations. That's just being a decent human being. I wouldn't use a racial slur against a stranger and I sure as hell wouldn't use one against my Subaru brethren. Are i-clubbers really arguing for their right to be bigots?

Can you tell that I'm frustrated? It saddens me to see thread after thread of people complaining about how this is the end of the world. It's all the mods' faults and we're letting the power go to our head. Oh boy, the power to edit/move/merge threads and issue warnings - my life is now complete. That kind of crap especially pisses me off because we work hard to help make this a better place, both on the forums and behind the scenes. So maybe instead of creating drama and trying to tear this place down, you guys can try to understand where we're coming from and help us build up this wonderful community. I've met some of my best friends on this site and I thank i-club for all of the fun over the years.

The funny thing is, if Alex was still here, he would come into these ridiculous threads and tell you guys to shut up and follow his rules and that would be the end of it. Those were the days...
Old 02-18-2008, 06:57 AM
spt

Car Info: Proj STI, Evo, JDM 180sx Time Attack, & A3
Wow I'm pretty surprised that this is a big enough issue that needs an entire thread to be created. I'm also surprised that you guys are incapable of controlling your own vocublary and ask us to do it for you. And most of all I'm extremely surprised that a moderator actually had to say the following:

"With regards to racial slurs, leave them all out of your conversations. That's just being a decent human being. I wouldn't use a racial slur against a stranger and I sure as hell wouldn't use one against my Subaru brethren. Are i-clubbers really arguing for their right to be bigots?"

Here's the deal, you decide to use a racial slur or decide to break a rule here, you will be held accountable for it. We have rules that are set in place and if you guys don't like then don't brother coming back to the site. The mods here have been more then patient with some of things that go on here and it's just sad that following a basic set of rules is so difficult that it requires drama. I can't make you do anything you don't want to do, but if anyone decides that disrespecting our mod staff and/or breaking rules here is the way to go, I promise you it won't continue as a I-Club member.

I hate drama especially on a car forum and I won't tolerate it. The mods here are volunteers that are taking the time to help this community be better. It would be nice to show some appreciation for those who put in the hours to make this a good place for others. If you guys have problems with a staff member or just an issue with the site, you can always pm me and tell me about it. There is always a solution to help solve a problem and it will make your time and ours better here.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:41 AM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
wow, if u need the censoring in ur life than do it urself, but why do u keep complaining, if u dont like it make ur own site without censoring... geez.. calm the **** down! u were the ones to join this site, u read the rules, u chose to stay here, now if u want to go and spam up ur own site go and do it, but not all of here use i-club as a daily chatting thread, most use it to get valuable information on a daily basis. keep a Subaru site a Subaru site and go and make ur own site for daily talking and no censorship!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
I am glad one of the members gets it

and wtf is a slope?

Last edited by sigma pi; 02-18-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Censorship