Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Censorship or decency?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Censorship or decency?

The distributor of rap star 50 Cent's upcoming film said on Thursday it was taking down some movie billboards near Los Angeles-area schools after community leaders complained they glorify gangs and violence.
Duh.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051028/...ure50cent_dc_3

Tell me again why gangsta rap (pop culture in general) isn't a deriment to society?
It embodies everything our enemies hate.

Do you think the behavior condoned in this lifestyle has no influence on young people? This is something that really bothers me. I teach kids and see so many of them emulate this lifestyle.

But really, what do you do about it?

What's the factor that so greatly popularizes behavior like this among todays' teens?

What makes it cool to act like a moron?

There are plenty of successful positive influences for kids to look up to. Aren't there?

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 10-28-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Worse, it reenforces stereo types. "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."
Old 10-28-2005, 11:54 PM

Its a phase just like rock n' roll was the devil a couple of years ago.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:09 AM
VIP Member

I hope so.

I mean, I know ozzy ate bats and everything, but I don't really remember rock and roll promoting gang violence, selling of drugs and violence toward women.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
I hope so.

I mean, I know ozzy ate bats and everything, but I don't really remember rock and roll promoting gang violence, selling of drugs and violence toward women.
The Rock and roll lifestyle never really perpetuated violence toward women but there were plenty of drugs, and womanizing going on.

My whole thing is that if parents would be active in their childrens life and talk to their kids then it wouldn't matter what they listen to. People that blame music for kids problems don't really see the real issue.

I was brought up right and I listened to a large variety of music which included Megadeth, Metallica, GNR all the way to the gangster rap of Two Live Crew and NWA and I have never once thought about doing anything that I was taught was wrong. Sure I dressed like an idiot in the 6th and 7th grade but I was raised with a clear understanding of what was right and wrong.

If people held parents accountable a little bit more and didn't give them a free pass by blaming entertainment such as music and television we would have a lot less problems in this country.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:44 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Duh.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051028/...ure50cent_dc_3

Tell me again why gangsta rap (pop culture in general) isn't a deriment to society?
It embodies everything our enemies hate.
It probably is, to some extent. However, rap music and all the trimmings are protected by the first amendment.

Do you think the behavior condoned in this lifestyle has no influence on young people? This is something that really bothers me. I teach kids and see so many of them emulate this lifestyle.
Of course it has influence.

But really, what do you do about it?
Don't buy it, don't let your kids buy it.

What's the factor that so greatly popularizes behavior like this among todays' teens?
Same factor that made it popular for kids in the sixties to grow their hair long and engage in "free love"

Peer pressure, for the most part.

What makes it cool to act like a moron?

There are plenty of successful positive influences for kids to look up to. Aren't there?
Sure....music is a fairly singular art form, however. It's hard to get terribly emotional about, say....well, most other things.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
**** censorship in all its ****ing forms

people SHHOULD be exposed to this stuff as soon as possible and as much as possible

that way they will go to jail or get shot sooner and faster...

**** stupid people the whole ****ing lot of em
Old 10-31-2005, 11:19 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
KISS made me kill my cat...Megadeath made me beat my brother...Eminem made me try ecstasy...Elvis got me to shake my ***...and Simon and Garfunkle made me go to Scarborough fair. Give me a break. If music makes you do things, then you're predispositioned to be an idiot anyway.

Why do republicans and conservatives always like to rally around censoring the popular 'bad boy' in music? Aren't you supposed to be about LESS gov't control? Do you really think 50 cent makes people join gangs? He probably influences the popular jean brand in the suburbs more than he has any effect in areas where gangs are actually a problem.

Last edited by MVWRX; 10-31-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by MVWRX
KISS made me kill my cat...Megadeath made me beat my brother...Eminem made me try ecstasy...Elvis got me to shake my ***...and Simon and Garfunkle made me go to Scarborough fair. Give me a break. If music makes you do things, then you're predispositioned to be an idiot anyway.
+10000000 Thank you!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Come on fellas... I'm all for 1st amendment rights but there's no need to have these types of billboards near schools when there's an umpteen amount of effective advertising space in Los Angeles county.

I think of it in the same respect I do for smoking advertising. Although I cringe every time I see those stupid truth commercials and fell that adults can make decisions to kill themselves with smoke while tobacco companies make a killing with their business, I strongly disagree with them ever targeting minors.

Take it somewhere else, will ya? It's just not the right thing to do regardless if it's protected.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:00 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...there's a Spearmint Rhino billboard every 100 yards in LA, some very close to schools, with topless women (covering up with their hands) on them...and they pick on 50 cent? I'm sorry Salty, while I see your point about schools, there are just too many schools near freeways in LA to make something like school-area-censorship feasible. And there are already too many questionable billboards in LA for these 50 cent billboards to be something that needs attention all of the sudden.

And if the billboards shouldn't be around schools, then what about along the freeways between the area a school serves and the school itself? You can't do stuff like that...if the billboard is ON campus, then take it down...but if it's near campus, tough s***.

Last edited by MVWRX; 10-31-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
...there's a Spearmint Rhino billboard every 100 yards in LA, some very close to schools, with topless women (covering up with their hands) on them...and they pick on 50 cent? I'm sorry Salty, while I see your point about schools, there are just too many schools near freeways in LA to make something like school-area-censorship feasible. And there are already too many questionable billboards in LA for these 50 cent billboards to be something that needs attention all of the sudden.
Okay then... Obviously taking them all down would pose a huge problem. So I guess my suggestion is move somewhere else. And I agree with most everything said here. Being a parent is the most vital thing yet somehow manages to be a lost concept. It can be done like Silver says because I grew up in a **** hole and turned out well thanks to great parents and grandparents.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

I think the whole point of putting the billboards near schools is because that is thier target market. Who buys 50 cents album? Kids and degenerates. Nobody else is stupid enogh. (sorry in advance if you bought a 50cent album) :P
Old 10-31-2005, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Why do republicans and conservatives always like to rally around censoring the popular 'bad boy' in music? Aren't you supposed to be about LESS gov't control? Do you really think 50 cent makes people join gangs? He probably influences the popular jean brand in the suburbs more than he has any effect in areas where gangs are actually a problem.
AHHAHAHHAHA perfect example of your "pre parent" position. I assume you don't have any kids . When you go to get your daughter a doll and some of them look like hookers (i.e bratz line), are you going to censor what she sees or influence her to become a *****? Same goes for a son... do you want him to grow up acting like a thug? When you take a good kid and hook him/her up with another kid that has bad habits, does the bad kid generally behave better? Kids start out innocent, but are easily corrupted with bad parenting or exposure to filth.

We are not talking about how mature adults handle exposure to filth. We are talking about protecting our youth from negative influences.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 10-31-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
AHHAHAHHAHA perfect example of your "pre parent" position. I assume you don't have any kids . When you go to get your daughter a doll and some of them look like hookers (i.e bratz line), are you going to censor what she sees or influence her to become a *****? Same goes for a son... do you want him to grow up acting like a thug? When you take a good kid and hook him/her up with another kid that has bad habits, does the bad kid generally behave better? Kids start out innocent, but are easily corrupted with bad parenting or exposure to filth.

We are not talking about how mature adults handle exposure to filth. We are talking about protecting our youth from negative influences.
What you consider filth others consider art. And if you have no control over what your children buy or don't buy then well you have no room to talk.

Quick Reply: Censorship or decency?