Wyotech in Sacramento

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by GD916
I guess I should be a little more specific, you have to be the one going out pursing job offers and take the initiative, at least in my case. I'm about to graduate from A trade school and although I've had a job working at a toyota dealership for the full length of my program, I received no help in doing so. I tried all the employment programs my school has to offer and came up with nothing, they promised otherwise. I ended up going out on my own with no leads and got lucky. Unfortunately, I know a lot of friends
at school that are equally as qualified and still can't find a job even with the help try receive. I guess what I'm saying is that don't rely on the trade school to get you a career, go out and make it happen with the knowldege you hopefully gain from it.
Totally agree here, it's up to the student to perform to get the job. With the school I went to, many of the same employers come back, i'm sure its like this at any school. But I had to compete with my classmates to get the job over them. Job placement is not for certain, just like you are saying, the student has to have the initiative to get it.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
I went to Wyotech and I thought it was great. However I don't have any knowledge on their electrical program other than 1 student causing the bomb squad and undercover to come out.

I took the year long program and 1 elective costing around 20k and from what I know is that the electrical program is around the same price as the automotive program.

However if you were to go talk to one of the reps ask them if you can talk to some of the students and instructors to get their honest opinion, because a lot of the reps lie about whats really being taught or whats going on at the school because they have no idea.

The school is really a great investment if you really put in a lot of effort, and key thing is to study. I could've gone to a cc for an auto program but they wouldn't have even been close to teaching the amount of in depth stuff Wyotech did. Not only do they have the best instructors in a lot of tech schools in the northern california region, they offer a lot of real live scenario situations.

As I said before, you'll have to study and try hard to get the most out of the class as you can or else it'll be kind of a waste of money.

Side note: Wyotech really does help you find jobs. In the past 2 weeks I have been presented with 3 interviews and more to come. I'm currently waiting on a dealership position, just had an interview with a racing team, and 1 more soon to come. Most of what you get out of these schools from from you, so you have to take the initiative and really follow up on anything they give you.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Nicce.. good to hear some i-club feedback.
I totally understand on what all you guys are saying about "it's not the school, it's the student" and "they don't just give you a job after" It makes sence and I was never expecting that. I'm a pretty hard worker and defiantly understand its super competitive economy out there so you can't just expect the job come to you.
I'm from the bay area but was thinking about the Sacramento Wyotech just for something new.
Also will be looking into the one in Fremont just because its close.
There are some local smaller schools that are much cheaper that I will check out too.

Thanks for the feed back though!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 PM

From what I have heard from the instructors and people who have transferred from Fremont and everyone I've talked to said that they like the way they're taught because of the instructors. Wyotech campuses everywhere are also getting stricter guidelines for entrance so there will be less tweakers and ex cons who waste their time for the instructors and students there.

So be glad for that hahaha. And just as a heads up, the Sacramento campus is also a test school for Wyotech so they experience with new time schedules and test theories ( such as comps and regular tests)
Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRB STI Sedan!!!
I went to Wyotech about 5 years ago. I Went for Automotive so I can't speak for the electrical portion. It is totally about what you put into it. They do say there is job assistance after graduation but all that consists of is a mass mailer of your basic resume that I know for a fact usually gets thrown away when the Wyotech logo is seen. I went for the basic 9 months during the day and it flew by. One piece of advise though.. Be carful when driving around that area. You have to drive directly past the CHP academy and they love "practicing" on all the Wyotech guys and their modded cars!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
An engineering degree will go farther.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by newyorkreload
An engineering degree will go farther.
+1 wish i'd finished mine
Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 AM

Car Info: 05 OBP STI
Im currently attending Wyotech. Its a great school. I recommend UTI though. Slightly more expensive but worth it.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 AM

Depending on what you're looking to do. UTI more of a dealership based class compared to Wyotech. Again, you really have to do your research and figure out what you wan't compared to what people say. Plus he just wanted to go for the electrician class.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I don't think UTI offers a electrical program.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Car Info: swapped RS
Honestly, Im a UTI student and my boyfriend went to WyoTech. (Kind of strange I know.) He is thinking about doing the diesel program at UTI because WyoTech doesn't offer it. Wyotech also doesn't offer manufacturer specific programs. Also, out of the 1200 kids around the nation that get accepted into MSAT programs, 1100 of them are from UTI. I have also had a couple instructors that have taught at WyoTech and both say it doesn't compare. The only thing that WyoTech has that I am interested in (and can only do it if in the collision program at UTI) is that I don't know how to weld and you learn that doing to auto program at WyoTech.

UTI has at least 2 electrical classes, and you have the option of doing the toyota program where you learn to work with Hybrids too. But yes, an engineering degree would be way better. Especially because if you go to one of those schools, you leave with a certificate, not a degree. Cali sucks sometimes.

Last edited by Ms Heatha; 02-05-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Car Info: Gone :(
Get an accounting degree... Just kidding, I know numbers and cubicles aren't for everyone.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 AM

Car Info: Wrb bugeye
Or dump all your money into growing weed, Sell it to the dispensaries... Legally, with no taxes. This has crossed my mind more than once
Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Car Info: Reason
Originally Posted by DerekB707
Not true, depends on the school and trade. I went to Perry Tech in Yakima WA for instrumentation and learned about automation. I had multiple job offers at the end of the two years, in the last 10 years of work, I've never made under 80k and last year made six figures for the first time. I'm not bragging, but that school was the best decision I ever made! I can't tell you how many college grads I know that can't find a decent job right now.

Www.perrytech.net
Nice. Perry Tech is a great school - I had a few friends that were going there when I lived in Yakima. My dad lives up there, and I moved up to help him with his business for a couple of years, plus finished up a bunch of schoolwork at YVCC before transferring to Sac State.