i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Sacramento & Reno (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/)
-   -   Wyotech in Sacramento (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/wyotech-sacramento-227851/)

wakeskatemike 01-26-2011 08:27 PM

Wyotech in Sacramento

Any i-clubers have any experience/go/went to Wyotech in Sacramento?
I'm possibly thinking about going there.. not for automotive but for electrician program.
Any feed back would be sweet!

stupidchicken03 01-26-2011 09:06 PM

I know theres at least one member who was going within the last year or so. Cant member his screen name off the top of my head tho

wakeskatemike 01-26-2011 10:11 PM

Nice. You know if he went for automotive or another trade?

stupidchicken03 01-27-2011 06:36 AM

I [I]think[/I] auto, but I could be wrong.

subymobbin303 01-27-2011 09:03 AM

Yea it was Azer he went there for auto

Irrational X 01-27-2011 03:56 PM

i've heard bad reviews of the auto program from talking to random people. they didnt elaborate, but these were people just leaving their classes. allot of them come into the Thai place i frequent so i chat them up sometimes.

GD916 01-27-2011 04:27 PM

In my opinion any trade school is just another type of business that's only concern is recruiting as many people as possible to make their pockets fatter. If you go into one of these programs expecting they'll find u a job when your done, think again. The best part is when you complete it you get a fancy piece of paper saying, congratulations. I don't know if wyotech offers some sort of degree for graduating but if not I wouldn't waste my time.

DerekB707 01-27-2011 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=GD916;3014913]In my opinion any trade school is just another type of business that's only concern is recruiting as many people as possible to make their pockets fatter. If you go into one of these programs expecting they'll find u a job when your done, think again. The best part is when you complete it you get a fancy piece of paper saying, congratulations. I don't know if wyotech offers some sort of degree for graduating but if not I wouldn't waste my time.[/QUOTE]

Not true, depends on the school and trade. I went to Perry Tech in Yakima WA for instrumentation and learned about automation. I had multiple job offers at the end of the two years, in the last 10 years of work, I've never made under 80k and last year made six figures for the first time. I'm not bragging, but that school was the best decision I ever made! I can't tell you how many college grads I know that can't find a decent job right now.

[url]Www.perrytech.net[/url]

wakeskatemike 01-27-2011 06:35 PM

I hear so many mixed reviews, and from what I read 99% of them are the ones who leave early, drop out, don't go to learn ect. ect. I'm not sure if I'm going to do Wyotech or not just trying to find out information and feedback. I do side work and work with a few contractors every now and then (small like 2 man companys), and they all tell me that you need to be in school or have a certifacation for most companys to hire a apprentice/trainie.

wakeskatemike 01-27-2011 06:38 PM

Was checkin out Perry Tech that school looks good man! Too bad its so far!

DerekB707 01-27-2011 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=wakeskatemike;3014991]Was checkin out Perry Tech that school looks good man! Too bad its so far![/QUOTE]

It's only two years, totally worth it, goes faster than you'd think!

DerekB707 01-27-2011 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=wakeskatemike;3014991]Was checkin out Perry Tech that school looks good man! Too bad its so far![/QUOTE]

It's only two years, totally worth it, goes faster than you'd think! We had one guy in my class come all the way from Kansas, lol.

wakeskatemike 01-27-2011 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=DerekB707;3015021]It's only two years, totally worth it, goes faster than you'd think! We had one guy in my class come all the way from Kansas, lol.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah! haha
My grandparents live in yakama.
Price range for the 2 years?

DerekB707 01-28-2011 10:22 AM

[QUOTE=wakeskatemike;3015029]Hell yeah! haha
My grandparents live in yakama.
Price range for the 2 years?[/QUOTE]

Free rent, lol.

Was around 14k when I started in 1999, imagine its around 20k with tools by now. We had 18 people in my class, 11 of us went to work in CA, all of us could have, but some wanted to stay in WA. If you think you might be interested, pm me, i'll give you my number if you have any questions. You could also call the school for info. Its a great career field, but unless you luck out and get into an apprenticeship in CA, pretty much the only way is to goto school for it and there is nothing specifically in CA. I started at the brewery in Fairfield, they came all the way to Yakima to recruit students. Refineries from here also showed up looking for people. Any place that has an automated process has positions for instrument techs. Just something to consider.

GD916 01-28-2011 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=DerekB707;3014938]Not true, depends on the school and trade. I went to Perry Tech in Yakima WA for instrumentation and learned about automation. I had multiple job offers at the end of the two years, in the last 10 years of work, I've never made under 80k and last year made six figures for the first time. I'm not bragging, but that school was the best decision I ever made! I can't tell you how many college grads I know that can't find a decent job right now.

[url]Www.perrytech.net[/url][/QUOTE]

I guess I should be a little more specific, you have to be the one going out pursing job offers and take the initiative, at least in my case. I'm about to graduate from A trade school and although I've had a job working at a toyota dealership for the full length of my program, I received no help in doing so. I tried all the employment programs my school has to offer and came up with nothing, they promised otherwise. I ended up going out on my own with no leads and got lucky. Unfortunately, I know a lot of friends
at school that are equally as qualified and still can't find a job even with the help try receive. I guess what I'm saying is that don't rely on the trade school to get you a career, go out and make it happen with the knowldege you hopefully gain from it.