Stripped wheel studs (sigh)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:42 PM

Car Info: a llama
Stripped wheel studs (sigh)

What's up guys, anyways personal error I stripped my wheel studs on my driver and passenger side. Then me and my cousin ended up buying a thread chaser and re thread the studs. As of now my threads are functional and I can put my rims back on and screw my lug nuts on like normal. Overall I rather be safe then sorry.

Basically, my question is...

-Any good shops in Sacramento area that would replace all wheel studs (passenger/driver) side for a good price?
-Is it safe to drive on my re-threaded studs? Like I said after re-threading my wheel studs lug nuts screw on normally and snug.

I do understand replace the wheel studs is a simple task for most mechanics, but myself am a starter/beginner mechanic and rather let the professionals take this one.

Thank you in advance guys!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
It's actually not too bad to replace, though I've heard that the rears are a pain in the ***.

I'd tell you to do it yourself, or maybe host an "Install Fest." Offer up pizza and beer in exchange for a helping hand or two.

I remember it to be pretty straight forward. Remove the brake caliper (don't have to remove the lines). Remove the rotor. Take a big hammer and bang the bad one out. Put the new one in. Using a bunch of spacers and an open ended lug nut, tighten the lug nut until the stud is in. Replace the rotor and calipers. Put your wheels on... and that's it.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 PM
The Good Wife

Car Info: 2010 Subaru WRX
Doing it yourself is not too difficult. If you do go that route, get some earplugs the pinging of the hammer is loud and becomes annoyingly droning after awhile.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by darkonion
It's actually not too bad to replace, though I've heard that the rears are a pain in the ***.

I'd tell you to do it yourself, or maybe host an "Install Fest." Offer up pizza and beer in exchange for a helping hand or two.

I remember it to be pretty straight forward. Remove the brake caliper (don't have to remove the lines). Remove the rotor. Take a big hammer and bang the bad one out. Put the new one in. Using a bunch of spacers and an open ended lug nut, tighten the lug nut until the stud is in. Replace the rotor and calipers. Put your wheels on... and that's it.
Originally Posted by the1_thedave
Doing it yourself is not too difficult. If you do go that route, get some earplugs the pinging of the hammer is loud and becomes annoyingly droning after awhile.
I looked up youtube videos looks pretty straight forward but, i'm going to just take it to the shop. If you guys know any good shops out there that wont gauge me on prices then i'd go that route. Also i'm constantly working, so my other question that wasn't answered is... is it safe to drive on them? Like I said I re-threaded the studs and they fit and where screwed back on normally. Is it safe to still daily drive the car?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ZombieFetuz
I looked up youtube videos looks pretty straight forward but, i'm going to just take it to the shop. If you guys know any good shops out there that wont gauge me on prices then i'd go that route. Also i'm constantly working, so my other question that wasn't answered is... is it safe to drive on them? Like I said I re-threaded the studs and they fit and where screwed back on normally. Is it safe to still daily drive the car?
Should be fine. It's just one of the 5 on each wheel right?

Seriously, you should just offer up beer and pizza. I like working on cars... just not my own... :P
Old 08-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by darkonion
Should be fine. It's just one of the 5 on each wheel right?

Seriously, you should just offer up beer and pizza. I like working on cars... just not my own... :P
It's actually 4 on one side and the other all 5. Don't ask me how, yes it's insanely ridiculous and possibly the biggest fail.

I did the thread chaser and got all the threads properly re-threaded with a miracle and got my wheels back on and tightened back up with my lug nuts. This is where my question falls again, is it still safe .........
Old 08-11-2013, 06:58 PM

Hmmm... I wouldn't drive on it. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:01 PM

Car Info: 2005 FXT, 2015 Legacy
What's up guys, anyways personal error I stripped my wheel studs on my driver and passenger side. Then me and my cousin ended up buying a thread chaser and re thread the studs. As of now my threads are functional and I can put my rims back on and screw my lug nuts on like normal. Overall I rather be safe then sorry.

Basically, my question is...

-Any good shops in Sacramento area that would replace all wheel studs (passenger/driver) side for a good price?
-Is it safe to drive on my re-threaded studs? Like I said after re-threading my wheel studs lug nuts screw on normally and snug.

I do understand replace the wheel studs is a simple task for most mechanics, but myself am a starter/beginner mechanic and rather let the professionals take this one.

Thank you in advance guys!
YouTube it. DO NOT RETHREAD!!! It is super easy. I too am a beginner at working on things. Changing the stud was not a big task at all. Pm me if you have any detailed questions
Old 08-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by dbangs
YouTube it. DO NOT RETHREAD!!! It is super easy. I too am a beginner at working on things. Changing the stud was not a big task at all. Pm me if you have any detailed questions
The re-threading has been done! Lmao. Well ultimately I knew I needed to replace all the studs in the front as soon as the problem persisted. I just needed to rethread so I can at least drive to a shop to get it fixed. My tools are limited, and knowledge as well. If anyone would like I can drive my car over grab supplies before hand and get it fixed. I don't mind paying labor fee's or providing food and drinks!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX E85 tuned
I just had this done and watched it and it was way to easy and I should have done it myself. Just made me nervous using a ball pean hammer to hit them out but you should replace them for sure.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 PM

I really appreciate all this advice, but it still leads to my unanswered questions. Still wondering how safe is it to drive with the re-threaded studs and also if there are any shops out there that replace the studs (i'm pretty sure all do) for a good price in the Sacramento area.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM

No one knows of any good reliable shops? I might just start making calls today!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 AM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
Originally Posted by SDTONORCALWRX
I just had this done and watched it and it was way to easy and I should have done it myself. Just made me nervous using a ball pean hammer to hit them out but you should replace them for sure.
Haha that was one of the quickest jobs I did. I think yours being nearly brand new (updated design) and no rust or corrosion on them whatsoever is what made it so easy.

Others are nowhere as easy unfortunately.

I really appreciate all this advice, but it still leads to my unanswered questions. Still wondering how safe is it to drive with the re-threaded studs and also if there are any shops out there that replace the studs (i'm pretty sure all do) for a good price in the Sacramento area.
Not safe. Well, depending on a bunch of things of course, but chased threads are way thinner and weaker and I wouldn't trust my life/wellbeing with them.

No one knows of any good reliable shops? I might just start making calls today!
I'm no pro or big baller shop, but......
Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Vladi you have a PM sir.