Sacramento & Reno
Sponsored by:

FXT no bueno

Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Car Info: *RIP* 05 Forester XT Limited
FXT no bueno

Won't be sporting a Subi for a while, sh*t went bad yesterday
FXT no bueno-img_20121117_164416.jpg FXT no bueno-img_20121117_165502.jpg
I'm no expert so we'll have to wait for the pro's, but, I'm curious how the frame looks, there are different sized gaps on door/fender lines, f'n sucks. I had just left the dealership where they replaced an o-ring, did my oil change, and rotated the tires. If they didn't over-inflate the tires, then I'm at a loss as to how this happened.

Going with the flow of traffic on the South Bus 80 - West I-50 interchange (coming from Maita Subaru going home to Davis) the car got light, swung out, then gripped and whipped around the opposite direction into the guard rail, front then rear, ended up facing the right direction, car pieces strewn for a few hundred feet. Both impacts were primarily on the driver side. Ground was wet, but hadn't rained for a few minutes, so it wasn't hydroplaning due to to excess of water. All 4 tires were in good shape w/ 4/32" tread, which means they need to be replaced soon but aren't in the unsafe zone yet (per the dealer). I was going w/ the flow at or below the posted "50mph" for the interchange. The fact that I wasn't hot rodding or doing something blatantly stupid is part of why this is bothering me so much.

CHP took about 15 minutes to get there to push me to the 16th St exit, the car wouldn't start, starter would engage but couldn't turn, so something mechanical is fubared as well.

So if anyone got stuck in traffic there yesterday, sorry, that was me.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI (sold), 2013 STI, 2014 BURRZ
Well at least your ok. Looks pretty gnarly. I wrecked the exact same way. Rear stepped out, caught traction then flung the car around the opposite way, did a couple 360's and ended up in a ditch. Only difference was I was playing hoonigan and got what I deserved.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by dozenutts View Post
Well at least your ok. Looks pretty gnarly. I wrecked the exact same way. Rear stepped out, caught traction then flung the car around the opposite way, did a couple 360's and ended up in a ditch. Only difference was I was playing hoonigan and got what I deserved.
Yeah, sucks. I can hear myself, I was audibly saying "no....no....no...." when I felt it losing it.
I've never had awd before, so the irony of this is sickening. Honestly I just hope it gets repaired fast, and right. After paying for insurance for the last 15 years of driving, I guess I'm finally happy that I have it.
Also very happy that while I was in a pack of cars, everyone was able to stop and I didn't involve anyone else. REALLY happy my GF wasn't in the car (or anyone else), would feel even worse.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Retired War Hero

Car Info: .gifs
Dang man, that's a terrible feeling. Glad you're okay.

As long as air bags didn't deploy and the subframes took most of the force, it should be repairable. But if your A, B, or C pillars are creased/wrinkled, then it's toast. Hopefully you can get it back on the road as rare as your car is.

Let me know if you need anything since I'm close by.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Lol, well, my neck is stiff, I could use a massage

This was one of my "realistic" dream cars, so I'm really hoping to get her back. Driver side front took the biggest hit, no airbags went off (all glancing blows, not direct hits) the biggest gap change is on the passenger rear door,
FXT no bueno-img_20121117_141303.jpg
The CHP got me off the freeway into a Cigar shop parking lot, where I had half an hour to wait for the tow truck, so I got 20 or so pictures between my phone and tablet.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
Damn i wish you the best of luck
Old 11-18-2012, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX hatchback Automatic SONNNNN!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! =(
Glad to hear your alright, hope the fozzy is fixable.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 PM

Lol thanks guys, I too am happy a sore neck and a banged up car is all that happened.

I definitely want it back, I'm not giving up on my first Subaru that fast

And for cost savings I'll probably have the smallest rental car possible (geico is covering 25/day so it shouldn't cost me much out of pocket). That'll make me super happy to drive her again
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx wagon
Sorry to hear what happened. The car looks salvaged imo. Just ponder the possibility of finding a new used car.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:13 PM

This is my first incident like this, so I really have no idea what the costs are, but the shop who has possession of the car estimated their max expense at around 7K (70% of value), I think.
He had hope that it is fixable, something about how Subaru's have more real frame then a lot of new cars that have only unibodies, but, again, I don't know.

All I know is I don't want the car back if it's going to be riddled w/ problems (i.e. tire wear issues or stability issues), but would be a happy camper to have it back fixed right. (and I'm really glad I have gap insurance built into the loan if it comes to that)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
Ouch man, that really sucks. Hope you're OK.

It definitely looks totalled to me. BUT depending on your adjuster and the company policy you still MIGHT be able to buy it back and have them cut you a check for repairs, or have them fix it for you.

Definitely looks like a good amount of work though. I'm almost sure they'll want to total it.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
damn sorry to hear man
Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...d-news-246229/

Sorry for the loss man, get a massage and if its still hurting or you feel dizzy etc get seen asap. I don't know how well your front apron held up but if any of that is bent.... you may be SOL. On mine the bumper beam went through my timing belt cover too :/

I definitely crashed almost the same way you did. Rear end came out, snap oversteer and got traction into a wall :/
Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 PM

Well, I hope I didn't kill her, after having the taste it's not going to be easy to find another XT w/ a manual.
As for damage, I realize I did not open the hood, so I don't know what the bay looked like. Here's a side shot:
FXT no bueno-img_20121117_142802.jpg
It didn't look horribly pushed in, but, who knows.

(here's my folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mwlg05lvb9lt355/sIuUyIBiMc )

And @Heedz, that super sucks, sorry for your recent loss as well.

Since I'm not playing with a pocket full of cash, it may be pretty much impossible for me to buy back the salvage title (if it goes that route), I am under the impression banks don't do that really.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Retired War Hero

Car Info: .gifs
Originally Posted by Heedz View Post
I definitely crashed almost the same way you did. Rear end came out, snap oversteer and got traction into a wall :/
snap oversteer is because you lifted. subarus (awd) don't like it when you lift, it's the equivalent of no-wheel drive. floor it and you have a better chance of recovery.

Originally Posted by spiked_FXT View Post
that first pic looks like it's really tweaked
engine seems apparently in tact. usually if you buy it back, you'll make a decent chunk of change parting it out. would also make a good donor for a RS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FXT no bueno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.