Brake (not break) question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:28 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by ryball
Pads:

HPS (what I have right now. no noise, acceptable dust.)
Ferodo DS2500
Axxis Ultimates

I am really most concerned with the opinions of people who have tried the HPS' and can compare them.
I ran the HPS and wasn't too impressed with them. They were ok, dusted quite a bit, but I could fade them fairly easily and the stopping power wasn't much improved over the stock pads. The Axxis Ultimates beat the HPS and bobcats out in every aspect. I also ran Panther Plus pads for a while. Those were ridiculously loud and ended up destroying my rotors. Also wouldn't stop for crap when cold. The Ultimates stop about as hard as the Panthers but are much more streetable and better overall. They deffinately do dust quite a bit but I never cared about that in a brake pad as long as it did its job well.

Last edited by MethodBuilt; 06-15-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Hhahha, no it's just that I'm always willing to try something new, and the Ulitmates are CHEAP!!!
hell yea they are cheap.

I paid about 28 bucks for the fronts when i had my 4 pots.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
hell yea they are cheap.

I paid about 28 bucks for the fronts when i had my 4 pots.
and you don't have four pistons per front rotor now?
Old 06-15-2006, 05:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Okay,

here are the options:

-replace the front rotors only with black 4pots+stocker rotors+pads. After further review, I think the rears might be fine for now. ~$745 (gives me firmer pedal feel... anything else?) Can purchase w/ subie bucks... serious consideration...

-replace fr/rr DBA 4000 slotted rotors+Axxis Ultimate pads+H6 rear upgrade. ~$625 (gives me better fade resistance+more rear bias - theoretically better balance)
Old 06-15-2006, 06:06 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
4 pots!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
4 pots!
I know they look nice, but wouldn't I get a better performance increase with the other option?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
H6 conversion is useless unless you've already done something to your front brakes.

4pots.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:42 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sybir
H6 conversion is useless unless you've already done something to your front brakes.

4pots.
Useless? Won't it balance out the brake bias?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3
and you don't have four pistons per front rotor now?
sorry, non brembo 4 pots. (subaru 4 pots)
Old 06-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Useless? Won't it balance out the brake bias?

Meh, not particularly. The caliper is the same, so the bias is the same. All you're doing is moving it farther out to position it around a larger rotor. You've got some thermal advantage from a bigger rotor, but not enough to make a difference.

Dunno, maybe I'm an extreme example, but I've gone through a few different brake setups, 2 pots and 4pots, Wilwoods, Stoptechs, etc, and my rears are the same as when I put them on at ~140k......Power Slot rotors and Axxis Ultimates. They've still gota ton of life left in them at 215k, and you know how I drive. The rear brakes do very little.

The fornts, onthe other hand......yeah, I drive an AT, yeah, it weighs ~200 pounds more than your car, but I've also got 80 less hp, and I could fade the crap out of the stock brakes, WRX brakes with OEM pads, Axxis Ultimates, Wilwood 4pots with the original pads, etc. I liked the HPS's, but they were a touch louder and had less cold bite than the Ultimates. The pads on my Stoptechs are Ultimates, and while they work well, and I can't fade them on the street because of the thermal capacity of the Stoptechs, I hate the dust. My wheels are black within a week. I've got some new Hawk cermaics to toss on when I put the brakes on the next car, we'll see how those do.

Even my crappy wilwoods were a huge improvement over the stock WRX brakes. the FHI 4pots are even better (the pair I had got stolen from the shop so I never had a chance to try them

Honestly, I picked up one set of Stoptechs for 900, the other set for 1k. I think Dean on SECCS might be sellign both of his old sets of Stoptechs, too, it might be worth checking with him........he has one of my anodized black sets, and Mike's old red ones. I'm serious about workign out a trade if you want to stay stealth, but you can probably pick either set up pretty cheap.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:31 PM
VIP Member

Although I would love to have stoptech's I can get the 4-pots/rotors/pads/shims/clips/pins for $743-$200 subaru bucks=$543+32 shipping.

I shot a PM and email to Dean anyway...

Last edited by ryball; 06-15-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:43 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
The Non Brembo 4 pots are the shiznit.
If you don't get them, I will keeeeel you.

OK, maybe not keeeeeel you, but I'll definitely poke you with a stick.

poke poke poke

Hey, yknow what goes great with new brakes????

SS braidied lines!!!!! :banana:
Old 06-15-2006, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
The Non Brembo 4 pots are the shiznit.
If you don't get them, I will keeeeel you.

OK, maybe not keeeeeel you, but I'll definitely poke you with a stick.

poke poke poke

Hey, yknow what goes great with new brakes????

SS braidied lines!!!!! :banana:
I've had those almost since the beginning. But you can do the install/brake fluid change for me when I get the 4-pots. I'll see you tomorrow and you can tell me if I need them sooner than later.

Last edited by ryball; 06-15-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by sybir
Meh, not particularly. The caliper is the same, so the bias is the same. All you're doing is moving it farther out to position it around a larger rotor. You've got some thermal advantage from a bigger rotor, but not enough to make a difference.

Dunno, maybe I'm an extreme example, but I've gone through a few different brake setups, 2 pots and 4pots, Wilwoods, Stoptechs, etc, and my rears are the same as when I put them on at ~140k......Power Slot rotors and Axxis Ultimates. They've still gota ton of life left in them at 215k, and you know how I drive. The rear brakes do very little.

The fornts, onthe other hand......yeah, I drive an AT, yeah, it weighs ~200 pounds more than your car, but I've also got 80 less hp, and I could fade the crap out of the stock brakes, WRX brakes with OEM pads, Axxis Ultimates, Wilwood 4pots with the original pads, etc. I liked the HPS's, but they were a touch louder and had less cold bite than the Ultimates. The pads on my Stoptechs are Ultimates, and while they work well, and I can't fade them on the street because of the thermal capacity of the Stoptechs, I hate the dust. My wheels are black within a week. I've got some new Hawk cermaics to toss on when I put the brakes on the next car, we'll see how those do.

Even my crappy wilwoods were a huge improvement over the stock WRX brakes. the FHI 4pots are even better (the pair I had got stolen from the shop so I never had a chance to try them

Honestly, I picked up one set of Stoptechs for 900, the other set for 1k. I think Dean on SECCS might be sellign both of his old sets of Stoptechs, too, it might be worth checking with him........he has one of my anodized black sets, and Mike's old red ones. I'm serious about workign out a trade if you want to stay stealth, but you can probably pick either set up pretty cheap.
H6 rears do increase rear bias. Same clamping force + longer lever arm = more brake torque. But, the change is minimal. Invisible on normal driving, sometime too visible for spirited driving.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:54 PM
VIP Member

So... 4-pots or accessport+tune?

Quick Reply: Brake (not break) question.