Thunderhill 1 : STI 0

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:30 PM

Car Info: Audi Q5 aka "the old man wagon"
Thunderhill 1 : STI 0

Went out to thunder hill last Friday with NCRC. This was my first time on a track so I was in their driving school group. Omg that was some of the most fun I've ever had driving a car. The first session was basically spent following an instructor around learning the line. Then during the second session we practiced pointing faster drivers past us. Then during the third session we were left to drive the track. The instructors were also driving around attempting to pass us on turns where they weren't supposed to be passing. If we caught them we were to flip them off the. Point them by on the next straight. It was pretty fun flipping these guys off and then depressing when they flew away from me. During this third session I was pushing the car pretty hard and around the fifth lap I felt the clutch starting to give out, then a good puff of blue smoke came out the exhaust. I pulled off the track and parked. The car smelled like burned clutch and was down about 1/2 quart of oil. That ended my day at the track, but I still had a ton of fun. I limped home with the clutch slipping ever so often, and now I get to find a good clutch and lightweight flywheel combo, oh and a new turbo seeing as that's where the oil went.
I can't wait for the next track day.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
haha. Sounds awesome! Sorry about your car. lol. I guess you get some good things out of the bad things. New turbo.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 PM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
Sorry to hear about your car, but at least now you get some goodies for her.
Not sure if your looking for big power goals but I have a vf-48 for sale if your interested. Shoot me a pm if you are.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Yeah I'm def gonna get some goodies. I am leaning more toward something bigger than the vf-48 that came with the car. Something like the Blousch dominator 3.0xt-r, or GT30R. Luckily the STI can be in the garage for a while because I have my beater 525i. Gotta save up a few thousand for clutch/flywheel and then bigger turbo, and maaaaybe a good set of coilovers.

Pics:
Name:  JR1N7502.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  JR1N7005.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  JR1N7534.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  JR1N8248.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  31.5 KB
Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
You might want to do a compression/leakdown test. Its fairly uncommon for the turbos to let go, but very common for the pistons to develop a crack.

-- Ed
Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 PM

I actually pulled the turbo today and found cracks in the housing, plus a broken metal sleeve thing just behind the impeller. Plus I pulled apart my fmic piping and there was almost a quart throughout it and caught in my intercooler :-/.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:32 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Well it sounds like the turbo is definitely shot, but I would still do a comp/leakdown to check up on the engine.

-- Ed
Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Eventually I'll get it done. At least before going bigger turbo and 850 cc injectors. Unfortunately money will be tight for a while.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STI
Glad you had fun, but wow, didn't expect your first track day to take out your car. I've been up to Thunderhill and that sessions with NCRC make it pretty memorial first time. I too can't wait to get back up there.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX base - SWP
Dayum, sorry to hear about your troubles after the first trackday. I had mine this past weekend at Thunderhill also hosted by NCRC. It was absolutely amazing! I installed stoptech brake pads before, and Dunlop Star Specs. On stock suspension it was not bad at all (f/r swaybar, f/r endlink, diff bushings, subframe bushings,transmission mt/motor mt, pitch stop rod) The first session I drove was a mess for me since I was thrown into the Solo session (w/ Motorcycle track experience, but none with car tracking). Having never been on the Thunderhill track, I was learning my lines and the track, while I was pointing by literally every single car on the track haha.

I did get the hang of it in all the sessions after. It was quite epic. It was also a priceless feeling passing all the STI's in the solo group =)