Subi won't cover your car if raced

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:10 PM

Car Info: 06 BLUE STI
Next time I get a car I am gonna try to **** them off as much as possiable and tell them to remove the warrenty completlely. Then when they ask why, I am gonna be like what for, it is a waste of money and all dealerships are cons and I am gonna most likey run it into a tree or off a cliff. By then they should be really pissed off and try to defend themselves. And if they don't do it I will just walk out. That should cause some nice talk around the water cooler for a few weeks.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:04 PM
KC

Car Info: 2003 STX Pro-Solo/Solo-II National Champion
Originally Posted by Icon25rs
Next time I get a car I am gonna try to **** them off as much as possiable and tell them to remove the warrenty completlely. Then when they ask why, I am gonna be like what for, it is a waste of money and all dealerships are cons and I am gonna most likey run it into a tree or off a cliff. By then they should be really pissed off and try to defend themselves. And if they don't do it I will just walk out. That should cause some nice talk around the water cooler for a few weeks.
I sort of agree with this. There should be something where someone can sign saying 'No Warranty' and get the car at a lower price.

However... I can also see unscroupulous sales people taking advantage of that any way they can and selling the car at MSRP with no warranty... screwing the customer even more.

Would be nice to 'select' what you want a warranty for. Drivetrain? Nope... everything else tho.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:53 PM

Car Info: 06 BLUE STI
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by KC
I sort of agree with this. There should be something where someone can sign saying 'No Warranty' and get the car at a lower price.

However... I can also see unscroupulous sales people taking advantage of that any way they can and selling the car at MSRP with no warranty... screwing the customer even more.

Would be nice to 'select' what you want a warranty for. Drivetrain? Nope... everything else tho.

Now there an idea!!! Pick what you want. There are some people out there that have the skills and the time to fix certain things themselves.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by jr4jc
ok my .02 i went to order an EVO and while the guy was getting the paper work together, he was some kind of middle management i asked what if i scca auotcross the evo, he said NO WARRANTy, so i left and did not buy the car. then i emailed subaru and the following is what they sent me, i think is fair.

Thanks for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your interest in Subaru
products.
Here is the information regarding the warranty on a Subaru:
Damage Caused Due to Use of Vehicle in Competitive Events
These warranties do not cover damage to any component that is the result of
operating the vehicle in any competition or racing event.
Damage or Malfunction Due to Improper Repair or Unauthorized Parts
These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged
due to any unauthorized alteration or modification made to the car such as the
removal of parts or the installation of parts, equipment or accessories or
improper repairs or adjustments not approved or recommended by SOA.
Damage or Malfunction Due to Abuse, Neglect, Accident or Fire
These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged
due to objects striking the car, road hazards, whether on or off the road,
accident, fire, neglect, abuse or any other cause beyond the control of SOA.
Damage Caused By a Non-Covered, Unauthorized Part
These warranties do not cover damage to a covered component directly caused by
the failure of a non-covered part, accessory or occurrence of event.

General Statement of Warranty Coverage

Warranty coverage provided on this vehicle is not voided by participation in
competitive or racing events, however, any failure of a component(s) caused by
participation in these events is not a matter for warranty.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future
assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Happy Holidays,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.

i personall think this is fair, i bought a subaru i didn't join their racing team and ask themm to pit for me!!?!?! [although i would like too!!!!
This seems to answer the question: If you break it during or because of compitition / abuse, then you deal with it. If a failure is not due to compitition / abuse, it stays covered by the warranty.

Does anyone have any (documented) information that contradicts this?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
That seems strange

I thought that was a bit awkward seeing that every wrx/sti comes with a one year membership to SCCA...
Old 02-24-2005, 10:43 PM

If there is no racing why does subaru give you an scca reg card??? HMMMMM get a lawyer!
Old 02-27-2005, 07:13 PM
KC

Car Info: 2003 STX Pro-Solo/Solo-II National Champion
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
If there is no racing why does subaru give you an scca reg card??? HMMMMM get a lawyer!
There are other membership benefits than taking your car racing.

--kC
Old 03-01-2005, 11:01 AM

Soo.. what are these problems that they don't want to fix? What is it that tends to break from autocrossing? I'm curious because I want to try it out this year - and the warrantee on my car is almost expired. What am I risking at an autocross event?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:58 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Originally Posted by Ansible
Soo.. what are these problems that they don't want to fix? What is it that tends to break from autocrossing? I'm curious because I want to try it out this year - and the warrantee on my car is almost expired. What am I risking at an autocross event?
I don't know what has broken on a subaru, but (on other cars) i've seen CV shafts pop out, control rods getting bent, etc. And lots of new people who try to "pop" the clutch and find out that the clutch doesn't grab like it is supposed to, burn the clutch out. Also the opposite can happen, the clutch grabs, and a shaft gives out, but that usually happens with people who drag.

Tim
Old 03-26-2005, 11:46 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by jr4jc

i personall think this is fair, i bought a subaru i didn't join their racing team and ask themm to pit for me!!?!?! [although i would like too!!!!
hmm wierd tehy do mine

they even got rid of teh trunk monkey for me

Old 03-26-2005, 11:47 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by SpecWRX
I heard Mitsubishi is almost bankrupt... where are all those EVO's going for service
when they are all bust???????????????????
the daewoo dealer silly
Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 PM

Its the world we live in!

I all comes down to the fact we live in a country where people are suing centain fast food places because they ate thier food, got fat, and now have heart disease. Where a guy bought a brand new motorhome, set the cruise (thinking it was auto-pilot) while driving down the freeway got up to make some lunch and crashed. He got a hundred grand, a new motorhome, and the company rewrote the operators manual.
Production cars are sold with around 60% of performance potential. This is so that my grandma and the a street racer can drive around the same car without suing the manufacture over some mundane thing. Everything has to be stupid proof.
I agree its lame that Subaru gives a SCCA membership out with the STI and void the warranty if you go cone dodging for time.
If you want to see why manufactures do this just check out some video clip links on this site. Its the people that put the pud in stupid that ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
You guys are blaming the company out of selfishness... Let's think about this logically...

COMMERCIALS - They show the WRX slicing through corners... you hear a high engine rev... Complete performance driving. Ever bothered to read the bottom of the screen? Professional Driver on a Closed Course, Do Not Attempt. If they DONT market the car like this... how will they make sales? They are merely showing what the vehicle is capable of... They aren't forcing you to drive that way. Sure, its enticing and promotes that type of driving, but they aren't recommending that type of driving. So, trust me, they are in the clear...

HOSTING EVENTS - Why not? Its promotion for their dealership... People come out and see WRXs in action and want to buy one, and low and behold, which dealership has first dibs on a prospective buyer? The one hosting the event.

DRIVING HABITS - Let's be honest... We didn't purchase a WRX to cruise at grandma speeds in the far-right lane. We give it a little kick in the **** once in a while, no? During these times of spirited driving, it fulfills our expectations, however it does strain the drivetrain beyond its typical capability. If we drive our cars repsonsibly, and keep its maintenance up to date and frequently make sure its in optimum condition... Then the once in a while kick in the butt, will not cause an adversly negative affect on the car... But when we put it through events or periods of continuous strain... Then obviously things will wear out, and we need to assume responsibility for these things as they are a product of our own actions...

WARRANTIES - Here is the real kicker... I do not believe SOA should warrant damage that we caused during an event, or due to our irresponsibility of coupling stock parts with cheaply designed aftermarket bits (in some cases). BUT... I also disagree about the optional warranty idea.. Think about it honestly... Do you want to drive off the lot and have an air condition leakage, or defective CD player, or anything at all going wrong? Don't you feel its THEIR responsibilty to take care of that, At LEAST for 35,000 miles? I do, I think it should ALWAYS be mandatory to have a base warranty, because i know not you OR i would want to pay for damages due to manufacturing defects and/or poor assembly

CAN I GET AN "AMEN"??