Carlos Sainz to retire

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 07:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Carlos Sainz to retire

Man, what a champion. Its sad to see him go, but he has had such an amazing career. Carlos was truly one of the greatest drivers in the sport. 2 world titles (and many more near misses) as well as the record for most wins (26) makes him not only one of my favorites, but also one of the best.

Hats off to Carlos.

from carlos-sainz.com

During the last month and after 16 years participating in the World Rally Championship I have decided to make a big change in my life in order to have a little more time to spend with my family

During these last two years we have been able to win the Manufacture’s World Rally Championship with Citroen and we have also been fighting for the Podium in each rally, achiving the record of 26 victories in the last Rally of Argentina.

After all this, I think it is a good moment for me to leave the World Rally Championship. It has been a extremely difficult decision, mainly because I still enjoy a lot every single rally.The fact that I am at the moment in the best Team with the possibility of continuing during the next season, make this decision even more complicated.

I would like to thank Citroen for these last two years of my career where I have been enjoying and at the same time working with the best Team. It has been a great pleasure to work in a such a profesional and capable Team where since the first engineer until the last mechanics the only objective is the victory. The Citroen Team has shown that it is the best and I hope that in the future we can somhow continue to have some kind of relationship. I would like to thank as well the support and confidence that Mr. Satinet, Magda Salarich and Guy Frequelin have shown me and I hope I haven’t deceived them.

I also want to thank the whole national and international press that have followed me all over the world with their support and collaboration throughout these years. I would also like to thank very specially the thousands of fans who have shown me their affection in all the countries. I would not like to end without thanking all the members of the Team with whom I have been working, as well as to the Manufactures that I have been racing with; Seat, Renault, Ford, Toyota, Lancia, Subaru and Citroen, and to my friends of Pirelli and Michelin, with whom I have shared many hours of effort and work.

Of course a special mention as well to my sponsors, for their confidence during these years, specially to Telefónica and Repsol, and I would not like forget all my codrivers, Juanjo Lacalle, Antonio Boto, Luis Moya and Marc Martí that have been working with me throughout all these years.

I would also like to thank The Spanish Federation, The Real Automobile Club of Catalunya, The Real Automobile Club of Spain and The Spanish Ministery of Sports that have always been next to me. And to finish up I would like to thank all my friends and my family specially my wife Reyes who has been and incredible support.

I apologize if I forget somebody, thats why I repeat thank you to everybody
Old 10-21-2004, 06:38 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
What a class act. Sad to see him go. I remember when he used to race for TTE and the Celicas.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:44 PM

Car Info: sti
^^^^ ^^^^

yeah the good old days.damn i miss that ford cosworth,that was the badz ride, next to the suby ofcorse

I hope C.Mcrai will come back soon
Old 10-26-2004, 06:50 PM
VIP Member

There are rumors of McRae talking with Skoda about coming back, with his protege Kris Meeke driving the second car.

I would love to see that happen, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:11 PM

To bad Skoda isn't a real competitive car.I think if he comes back,he should come back in style whit a more competitive car,like hmmm! subaru
Old 10-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Adios, Carlos! I'll miss watching you.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
Colin could make the Skoda become competitive, when he actually got to the end of the rally.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:27 PM
VIP Member

Yeah, and the new Skoda is sounds like it'll be pretty hot.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:15 PM

yeah maybe,will see