Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

camera help!!! NOOB WARNING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:42 PM

Car Info: 03/05/06 WRX with some STI parts :- P
camera help!!! NOOB WARNING!!!

ok im looking into buying a better camera than my point and shoot cannon i have now... i have been told that when choosing a DSLR the best thing to look for is how it feels in your hands so i went to a camera shop and the nikons feel the best in my hands. but what kind of nikon should i get... obviously i am looking for an entry level camera... but i am looking not to spend a whole lot of money because i want to get good with a cheap one and then i figure if i can take a great picture with a cheaper camera i can either upgrade it or just buy a better one later down the road. I love the d90 but cant afford it. my price range unfortunately is capped at about 500... so any ideas???

looking for a nikon
with video capabilities...

any criticism that is constructive and not downgrading will be greatly appreciated and if you have any ideas as to what i can get...

TIA!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
My idea would be to wait until your price cap is above $500.

You can buy the cheapest of cheap, but you are going to outgrow it FAST. I always recommend getting a mid (or MAYBE low-mid) range body. One that has enough features and capabilities that you can grow into it, but isn't going to intimidate you. Any potentially semi-decent photographer will outgrow the capabilities of a low-range body within a year, IMHO. That is why I say go with a body that'll suit you for a number of years and then upgrade the glass as you go. Otherwise you're going to end up spending more money on a new body in a fairly soon.

I stick to my suggestion of waiting until your price cap is above $500.

That being said, I have a friend that I THINK is using the D5000 and has been turning out some pretty good studio shots. Not sure what she's using lens-wise, but I know she's putting a lot of effort into controlling the lighting.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 04-10-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile

You can buy the cheapest of cheap, but you are going to outgrow it FAST. I always recommend getting a mid (or MAYBE low-mid) range body. One that has enough features and capabilities that you can grow into it, but isn't going to intimidate you. Any potentially semi-decent photographer will outgrow the capabilities of a low-range body within a year, IMHO. That is why I say go with a body that'll suit you for a number of years and then upgrade the glass as you go. Otherwise you're going to end up spending more money on a new body in a fairly soon.

I stick to my suggestion of waiting until your price cap is above $500.

That being said, I have a friend that I THINK is using the D5000 and has been turning out some pretty good studio shots. Not sure what she's using lens-wise, but I know she's putting a lot of effort into controlling the lighting.
well then what kind of body do you suggest? what is a good mid range body that i can start saving for?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Subadubaru
well then what kind of body do you suggest? what is a good mid range body that i can start saving for?
I'm not a Nikon or Canon guy, I get confused with all those numbers (even Sony is starting to confuse me)
Old 04-11-2011, 12:58 AM

see i never got to hold a sony because they didnt have any at the camera shop i was at... but i have been told that sony is no where near comparable to nikon or canon... but for some reason i dont believe that to be true... how is the sony? and what is a good mid range body for a sony?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 AM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
its pretty hard to find a dslr with video capabilities at 500 dollars. if you bump it up a few hundred you can get a canon t2i for around 700-800 and those have video capabilities. If not, i have a canon xsi that i might be looking to sell soon but it doesnt have video capabilities.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by xhengmanx
its pretty hard to find a dslr with video capabilities at 500 dollars. if you bump it up a few hundred you can get a canon t2i for around 700-800 and those have video capabilities. If not, i have a canon xsi that i might be looking to sell soon but it doesnt have video capabilities.
i dont absolutely need video capabilities but i think it would be a good thing to just have in case i wanted to use it... but idk
Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM
VIP Member

see i never got to hold a sony because they didnt have any at the camera shop i was at... but i have been told that sony is no where near comparable to nikon or canon... but for some reason i dont believe that to be true... how is the sony? and what is a good mid range body for a sony?
Whoever told you that is a Canon or Nikon fanboi and can suck it.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
+1 Agree

I shoot with Canon but the one thing I can recommend is that you get a body that has AF motors. Sometimes the body doesn't have the motors which means you are limited to the lens having the motors or you have to manual focus them. I believe the D70 is that way. I think that is the one my friend has.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
I'm not a Nikon or Canon guy, I get confused with all those numbers (even Sony is starting to confuse me)
Hells yeah I shoot Canon and I get confused 1DS 1Dn I mean come on!

Who ever said that is an idiot. Sony makes the sensors for Nikon.

Originally Posted by Ecks769
+1 Agree

I shoot with Canon but the one thing I can recommend is that you get a body that has AF motors. Sometimes the body doesn't have the motors which means you are limited to the lens having the motors or you have to manual focus them. I believe the D70 is that way. I think that is the one my friend has.
Huh??? bodies dont have the AF motors lenses do. Are you talking about in body IS (Image stabilization)? there are some manual lenses out there but we dont have to worry about them with this price range.

OP I suggest you save more or buy a used camera.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Whoever told you that is a Canon or Nikon fanboi and can suck it.
hahahahahaha ok i ususally take everything with a grain of salt anyways.

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Huh??? bodies dont have the AF motors lenses do. Are you talking about in body IS (Image stabilization)? there are some manual lenses out there but we dont have to worry about them with this price range.

from what i have read which i am not 100% sure about but some bodies do have an auto focusing motor and some have them in the lenses. like the d90 has the AF in the body and the d40 has the AF in the lens... and by having the AF in the body your lens selection is much better and the lenses are cheaper.

correct me if i am incorrect!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Car Info: Subaru 2009 Forester
Hi,
You want a better DSLR cemara with video capabilities
this is the list:
Can0n: 1D Mark IV,5D Mark II,7D,550D,500D
Nikon: D3s,D300s,D90,D5000
Penix: K7,K-x
Panisonic:GF1,GH1,GH2,G2,
Olympus:E-P1,E-P2,E-PL1

I f you want to a nikon ,it seems D5000 is you only choose~~~~
May be you can buy a good-looking ang few shulter shoots second-hand camera
More cheaper and you can can take a great picture too
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by chinabox
Hi,
You want a better DSLR cemara with video capabilities
this is the list:
Can0n: 1D Mark IV,5D Mark II,7D,550D,500D
Nikon: D3s,D300s,D90,D5000
Penix: K7,K-x
Panisonic:GF1,GH1,GH2,G2,
Olympus:E-P1,E-P2,E-PL1

I f you want to a nikon ,it seems D5000 is you only choose~~~~
May be you can buy a good-looking ang few shulter shoots second-hand camera
More cheaper and you can can take a great picture too
Add the new Sony a33 and *** to that list
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Who ever said that is an idiot. Sony makes the sensors for Nikon.

right ,+1 Agreed
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Add the new Sony a33 and *** to that list
Few knows about Sony,here is the land of N or C in China ,K is the 3rd place.
Few peapol use Sony,i think less than 5%.

Quick Reply: camera help!!! NOOB WARNING!!!