Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Plasti-Dip and Vinyl fun

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by 1SIKBRU
Dang. Well, I got 3M so that shouldn't be too bad, plus my paint isn't factory. I repainted the car a few years back and sprayed 3 heavy layers of clear. Plasti-dip won't be here until Tuesday, and then I have the in-laws coming next weekend. Gonna have to disappear for a few hours to the garage.
Haven't seen you on the boards for a while and this is what you're up to these days?! lol
Old 04-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Car Info: Audi Q5 aka "the old man wagon"
Haha, yup. I work a lot, and I'm out of the country about 10 days a month. I've barely had time to drive my cars let alone mod them. Finally I have a straight month in town. Might actually make it out to some meets soon too.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Haha, yup. I work a lot, and I'm out of the country about 10 days a month. I've barely had time to drive my cars let alone mod them. Finally I have a straight month in town. Might actually make it out to some meets soon too.
do ettttt
Old 04-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 2004 Forester XT
where are you located in danville if you dont mind me asking, i might have seen you around if you live over by charlotte wood area
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 PM

I'm actually across the street from Osage lol. Close enough to Charlotte Wood. You're close by?

Ugh the green plasti-dip didn't spray well. It bubbled a lot and was not salvageable. I was testing it on just one wheel, so no real harm. Gonna try something different with the wheels after the in-laws leave.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:01 PM

The wheel I was unhappy with. Pic is with my phone so you can't see the detail in the bubbles, but it's bad. Gonna try something new tonight if I have time.

Name:  greenwheel_zpsa8f7fc45.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  64.0 KB
Old 04-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Post #42
My White Plasti-Dipped GR STi - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
[edit:] this poster also mentioned elsewhere that part of the dip on his bumper actually took ALL the paint off on one spot of his bumper when he pulled it off.

and

Severe Damage Caused by Plastidip (w/pics) - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

I feel that this needs to be quoted again. People use plasti-dip on what ever they can find WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING THE PRODUCT FIRST. Remember that this was originally made to coat metal tool handles to give it a grip.

Now I am not exactly sure what happened there, but I will do more research on it, there are so many varying factors that can come into play and sometimes people are not as descriptive as I would personally like.

Now there are those who are picking up the trend of doing plasti-dip on automotive parts as a SERVICE because it just seems oh so easy, I advise you understand what you are doing before potentially screwing your self over and ruining your clients parts.

Originally Posted by 04GG
I personally thing plastidip is fine for a car with ruined paint. To apply it to nice paint just seems kind of not so smart. Vinyl on the other hand seems like the way to go if you want something to remove. I've read MANY stories of dudes doing their rims and having it chip off easily. If you've ever used the stuff on other things, it works, but it really isn't that strong unless you apply multiple coats.

Never seen that white CF style woven vinyl. Will be curious to see how it comes out once more of it is done.
I agree, if its bad paint, then either plastidip or vinyl is the way to go.

Also, yea theres plenty of colors of CF style weave Vinyl. Ive seen black, to grey, to white. Jacky has a white CF covered hood on his white VW GTI. It yellows over time, which is to be expected on white film......

Originally Posted by Imprezard
Not to make matters worse but I am assuming the vinyl you got was 3m? Well I hope you got the 1080 scotchprint because that is meant for automotive use. DI-NOC is not, it's for home and interior use (It can't handle the beating from the sun). My friend just pulled off his CF DI-NOC wrap off his roof and it turned out exactly like the picture below. He also did his interior trim and it pulled that paint off that too. Just a heads up.

That is another case people tend to wrap what ever they can with what ever they can.............. please take precaution to your automotive exterior. Sometimes the cheap method............ will leave more damage.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
My guess is people got the wrong idea from the off road guys. I've seen LINE-X type products used on entire vehicles. I have a pic of a VW bus done that way somewhere, it was pretty cool actually. Somehow someone thought plastidip would work the same and now lots of people are doing it. They are definitely not the same.