Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

DIY Spare Tire Subwoofer Box (Retains Spare Tire in its Stock Location!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 AM

Car Info: 02 MBP wagon
Originally Posted by medicSTi
Great project bro, it looks great. Are you getting ANY rattling from back there?
There's no rattling at all from the box or the floor panels. I do get some rear license plate / body panel rattle when it's up loud. But I've always had that, even when I had my standard 10" sub box taking up my cargo space.

No rattles from the actual box area
Old 02-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Looks good, ive wanted to do this since the old owner on my car failed to give me a spare tire, Ive got even more space!
Ive got the 40" version of that tv.... damn you.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by YuudaiSTI
Looks good, ive wanted to do this since the old owner on my car failed to give me a spare tire, Ive got even more space!
Ive got the 40" version of that tv.... damn you.
do it. you could probably put a nice 12" box back there.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:06 PM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
I'm thinking about doing exactly this style of build. From the look of that engineering sketch you photographed I imagine you might have measurements for all the pieces you ended up with. This also looks like a more straightforward design that some of the other approaches kicking around on the net. Mind sharing the measurement details?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by glider
I'm thinking about doing exactly this style of build. From the look of that engineering sketch you photographed I imagine you might have measurements for all the pieces you ended up with. This also looks like a more straightforward design that some of the other approaches kicking around on the net. Mind sharing the measurement details?
It is straightforward in design, but not in exact dimensions. Since this was a custom build, I did a lot of test fits/ redesign. You're welcome to come by and take a look.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 AM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
deng I wanna do this to my sedan
Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by sammae01
deng I wanna do this to my sedan
i think the fitment is the same. it might be a little smaller, but you could fit a 10" and keep the spare tire, im pretty sure.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon
I know im bringing this back from the dead but this is awesome! Im thinking of doing something like this and wonder how it has held up for the last couple years?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by whitey02rex
I know im bringing this back from the dead but this is awesome! Im thinking of doing something like this and wonder how it has held up for the last couple years?
Yo whitey (no offense intended)

The box is still in my DD wagon. I use it everyday. I never really drive without the stereo on, so it's pretty much been going strong since 2009 when I posted this. I do turn it up pretty high when I'm by myself. No leaks in the box, no cracks. Sounds the same as when I installed it.

Good luck in making yours. It's a pretty fun project.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 AM

Thx for getting back to me Nolan. Im planning on starting this project soon just need to pick out a sub for it now.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
NICE! i was just about to do this until I bought my 18" Grids. When I run the 18's I have either a full size spare or one down. either way, i wasnt able to do it with the upgraded spare. i like you way anyways. good job!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:40 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Shaggin Wagon, Sonic Yellow Stage 2
After seeing this and studying my spare tire well in my 03 wagon, I am unclear on one thing. It looks as though your box rests on the spare tire and not on the lip of the foam outline as the plastic tray does. Is this correct? Seems like just sitting on the spare tire would rattle, or maybe in am missing something.

Awesome outcome though. Got all the materials, going to glass it up in a few weeks and verify volume, then see if I have enough room to go with the 12".

Travis
Old 06-02-2013, 02:42 PM

I just finished doing the fiber glass portion of this, i'm going to go double check my measurements today but i'm petty sure i'm going to fit a shallow mounted 12 in it just fine. Im thinking of a Pioneer 12 ( TS-SW3001S2 ), Guess I need to go get packing peanuts now to verify the air volume that im guess with my rough messurements using this site.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by T_Racer69
After seeing this and studying my spare tire well in my 03 wagon, I am unclear on one thing. It looks as though your box rests on the spare tire and not on the lip of the foam outline as the plastic tray does. Is this correct? Seems like just sitting on the spare tire would rattle, or maybe in am missing something.

Awesome outcome though. Got all the materials, going to glass it up in a few weeks and verify volume, then see if I have enough room to go with the 12".

Travis
B/c you only put a layer of tape and foil between the fiberglass it actually has a snug fit. For any reason if it did rattle a little bit, you could always take it out and put another quick coat of resin on the outside of the box to make it fit better.