Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

DIY: TGV Delete? Is there a DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 06:38 PM

Car Info: 00 RS w/03 WRX drivetrain
DIY: TGV Delete? Is there a DIY?

My intake manifold is currently off my car. Long story short: I anticipated receiving the PROPER injectors (top feed) but received BOGUS injectors (Side feed)...

So, the intake manifold is off the car and it'll be staying that way until I get the new injectors.

While the TGV/intake manifold is off the car...does anyone know what is involved in the TGV Delete?

Besides removing the valves, porting the plenum, and plugging the holes...what else is involved? ie: computer related.

Has anyone ever done it on their own? I've got a welder and porting experience, so no worries there.

Any help would be hot.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the help :P

I figured it out. Not only that, but I found a ton of great articles along the way.

I've got one ported so far...just have to get the other one done.

If anyone is wondering if they should do it, the answer is an easy "yes".

After reading article after article about the reasoning behind it, and it's purpose (to generate turbulence under low throttle, and lean out the mixture)...it's easy to see why you should delete it.

Keep in mind: if you have a STOCK setup, there's no point to go and delete them. But, if you have a setup that's looking closer and closer to a JDM beast, do it.

Also, if you have an aftermarket tuning setup (such as www.openecu.org, accessPORT, ecutek, etc), then this is worthwhile. Instead of relying on a stupid valve/butterflap to do the work, do it through the ECU.

Bottom line: if you're stock, don't rush out to do this. But, if your setup is getting bigger and more sofisticated...give'r.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07' AW 335i & 05' WD Escalade
any pics??
Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Deleting the TGV is not a painless gain. The entire purpose of the TGV assembly is to give you a smooth idle and protect from detonation when going rapidly off-throttle. You WILL have a less smooth idle and less streetable car.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by meilers
Deleting the TGV is not a painless gain. The entire purpose of the TGV assembly is to give you a smooth idle and protect from detonation when going rapidly off-throttle. You WILL have a less smooth idle and less streetable car.
Like I said...you have to tune it.

you WONT have a less smooth idle and less streetable car if you know wtf you're doing...

The one and only reason why they're there, is for emissions. Hence only the north american markets have these.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by pj21086
any pics??
I dropped my digi cam and it won't take any

Time to get a new one...but i'd rather spend the money on the car!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Many people have done it DIY and had no serious issues. The most common idling issue is at cold startup, but then it goes away pretty quickly.

I purchased a set of TGV's and have ported one side already (sorry no pics yet). I'm re-inserting the rods so I can run the motors/sensors without having to try to kill a CEL with a reflash. Besides, I don't have a welder and want this to be strictly DIY.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:40 AM

You can use "JB Weld" to fill the holes.

You can also use the streetTUNER to block the codes. Or, if you aren't using cobb, download ecuflash from www.openecu.org and block the codes yourself. You just need an OBDII to serial cable and a computer! Works pretty sweet
Old 08-28-2006, 01:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by tekgnosis
You can use "JB Weld" to fill the holes.

You can also use the streetTUNER to block the codes. Or, if you aren't using cobb, download ecuflash from www.openecu.org and block the codes yourself. You just need an OBDII to serial cable and a computer! Works pretty sweet
That's true. I have been thinking about trying the openecu stuff for a while. I have lots of experience with UTEC, but none at all thus far with reflashes. It'll be something new to learn. I have the OBDII cable and the computer. I guess I should see what happens.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
Originally Posted by meilers
"protect from detonation?"

ummm..... NO.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:44 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Bolster
That's true. I have been thinking about trying the openecu stuff for a while. I have lots of experience with UTEC, but none at all thus far with reflashes. It'll be something new to learn. I have the OBDII cable and the computer. I guess I should see what happens.
do it, bolster. there's a LOT of stuff that can be tweaked to make the utec / oem ecu partnership work even better.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ride5000
"protect from detonation?"

ummm..... NO.
Ride, you've got being wrong down to a science.

Read the following carefully:

http://www.drivesubaru.com/Win03_Manifold.htm

Note that this is official Subaru tech information. The TGV does strongly influence the air/fuel mixture as you roll into throttle, and we all know that the A/F ratio is the primary culprit in detonation.

That entire article is a strong argument for why removing the TGV on a street vehicle is a very, very bad idea.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

meilers, you'd do well to read your own reference:

Originally Posted by meiler's own reference
When the engine is at idle, these valves close and bypass the incoming airflow through a passage to increase the swirl of the air/fuel mixture, resulting in an engine that operates more cleanly.
so how often do people experience detonation at idle?

i like our relationship, really. i give you rope, and you hang yourself. keep on keepin' on, man!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ride5000
meilers, you'd do well to read your own reference:

so how often do people experience detonation at idle?

i like our relationship, really. i give you rope, and you hang yourself. keep on keepin' on, man!
You take one sentence out of a 1800+-word article, and think you've proved your point? :-) Well, it is nice to know you're easily impressed by yourself.

If you did happen to read the entire article -- an occurence of which I despair at this point -- you'd see that the TGVs also kick in when rapidly letting off the throttle. A recent review of the 2006 STI in Sport Compact Car noted detonation in the bone-stock test car when downshifting from 4rth to 3rd (they blamed it on crappy California gas) -- and these guys double-clutch, which means that the engine was effectively (for a few miliseconds) throttling down towards idle. Again, TGV delete = a very touchy car and endangered engine. It is a choice any car tuner is free to make, certainly.

Last edited by meilers; 09-06-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:21 AM
VIP Member

meilers, get over yourself.

reading article after article does not make you an expert.

these are the facts:

the many people who have ACTUALLY DONE THIS MOD have reported no issue beyond a SLIGHTLY rough idle when bone cold. some of them are my friends, and i have both driven and been driven in their cars. as soon as the throttle is tipped in, and the car is moving, it is EXACTLY like stock.

they did not report detonation.

they did not report a "very touchy car."

their engines did not blow up.

the jdm ej207 v7 spec c and v8 do not have TGVs at all.

here's a nugget of wisdom for you, from someone who actually TUNES CARS:

if your engine detonates, you're not done tuning. it has nothing to do with TGVs.

nasioc would eat you and your constant flow of armchair tuner BS alive. it's a good thing you hide over here in iclub.