Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

1986 Subaru Leone STi TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 06:30 PM

Car Info: 1986 Subaru Leone STi TURBO
here is the drain back for the dip stick for the Mann Hummel Provent 200 set up I have made... this is for a friend of mine which has a built Subaru also, same design as my original one I made for my Leone.

ill also be making a easy adapter for the inlet on the Provent 200, so its easy to connect the block vent and valve covers all in one tube with out making back pressure free flowing for better movement of air.

used a stand grinder then cleaned up with a file and deburring tool.

ill weld this up and paint it so it stays nice and clean rust free.

when building a subaru motor fuji bond or fixing the brakes RX2 grease and servicing the cv axles and cv boots you got the proper grease from subaru !

Last edited by Nico Leone; 03-31-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM

well I finished the welding the dip sticks for the return line for the Provent 200. I also made a adapter piece because I have had a couple say the pipes inlet are to big and hose will not fit this and that...

the pipe I made is for the block vent and both valve covers, came out ok should do the trick and not block as much air as T ing the tubes up.. more air you can move the better.

all the under side of a GL / XT / XT6 / Loyale sand blasted and powder coated to last a long time... Turbo cross member, XT6 arms front rear, XT6 20mm sway bar, XT6 5mt or 6mt cross member. I'm just missing the rear cross member which I need to find a spare to work with.

Whiteline & Nolathane bushings in place now got to do new wheel bearings and there done.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:42 PM

with the help of Franz @ DieboldAutosport he pointed me in the direction of Karim @ Lachute Performance for this Aim Fuel level adapter for a Subaru.

the Aim dash needed a converter to give it proper signal on a factory fuel sending unit. The sending unit is for the OEM subaru Analog dash in the 1986 ~ 1994 Subaru GL or Loyale, my Oem unit was a digital dash so it need to be changed to the different Ohm unit.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:01 PM

so I just got most of the SuperPro bushings in and new bolts nuts washers every where from Subaru oem

80's Subaru radius rod SuperPro # SPF2534K for 18mm bar, check your bar width if you decide to get these. this are made so much better then the whiteline ones that don't even fit in the socket.

80's Subaru 4WD Differential Pinion Mount Bushing, press bushing out melt out middle add SuperPro # SPF3005K with lots of grease and your done... last year I used a newer whiteline bushing from a impreza this year ill use the proper one. New oem subaru bolts and nuts are on back order still.

88 - 91 Subaru XT6 rear hubs 20MM sway bar, this was a tricky one had to cross reference Nolathane XT6/Vortex number to these proper bushings from SuperPro # SPF0361-20. Oem brackets bolts and nuts from Subaru

some people didn't get to see my Before & After pics, I had to get the ball rolling so I just got another spare set of XT6 5x100 rear set up in and this is what they look like from the wrecker's

STi 6mt Gear-linkage, Support Bar, Front Bush SuperPro # SPF2462K

80s Subaru Rear suspension mounts oem Subaru with SuperPro # SPF2755SK for the shock absorber's to give less movement in the control arm. you only need 4, I'm working on my next project car.

80's Subaru oem rear cross member bushing, this one is going to be tricky to upgrade. ill have to come up with something even cut the bushing mount out and weld up something to a newer style. I have a couple idea's in my head, but ill need to think of a good way to stiff this up. one idea is getting it made solid out of aluminium... there is also one more bushing in the rear cross member, it hasn't come in yet once I get that one to play with ill know where to start.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:13 PM

finally found one of these (really found 2 one for the spare build I got in the works). Manual steering rack OEM Subaru VGR ( variable gear ratio ) which means, less weight, less heat, less stress on the motor.

VGR teeth change

right from Japan antic vintage Subaru grill badges for my Leone and the keys also. I'd Like to thank Billy @JPNHunt for getting me this stuff !! great guy to deal with if anyone is wondering !!

I didn't think they would fit, lots of late night number crunching worked.... 225/45/16 DUNLOP DIREZZA ZⅡ + 16x8 et45 Braid custom made rally wheels just for the perfect fit.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:57 PM

well people have asked how did I bolt up the coil overs in the rear so easy. in the pictures you can see everything in order.

what kit I used is the HSD STi GRB 08-12 set up, what I keep from my Leone is the top mount bracket and spring perch cap. drill the same size hole as the washer from the HSD kit so the spring perch cap will go on.

then pop out the bushings & tube from the HSD GR STi stuff and use them on your new set up.

the only other thing is the lower mount on a GR STi has a 55mm wide bushing tube, you would need to cut it down to 45mm size to fit in the rear control arm lower. the bolt is the same 12mm size flange bolt so no need for a spacer in the bushing tube.

all put together

so if one is going to be buliding a Leone in the future the best kit to get would be the Subaru GRB STi 08-12 suspension kit. ohlins ? KW ? Bilstein ? future for me for sure

the front you would need the GRB STi 08-12 knuckle with the bolt on bearing which is better they say for its bigger bearing, the top plate will not work unless you drill it out to match your car top mount pattern which is pretty much the same as a 1989-2001 Legacy impreza car pattern.

also the rear in the BRZ is the same as the GRB, the front is the same as a 1989-2001 impreza legacy but the shock is shorter but will work also with the non larger knuckles.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 AM

lots and lots of work went down so far, for the front I changed the rubbing in the pockets of the control arms which alone made the car feel amazing... I stripped everything out and under coated it all along with wrapping my exhaust well worth it all even though its a pain.

all the sand blasted powder coated stuff was add along with the upgraded bushings and oem subaru bolts.

the only thing missing now is the front GR sti knuckle bearings, the sti sealed bearings are being made into 5x100 from 5x114 thanks to my good friend that owns a machine shop

super rare no longer made front bumper clips got made from a 3D printer collage kid which made them so good there better then the real ones.. he used some hard plastic and chemical to harden the clips so they last long.

looks amazing now with the second trim on the top of the bumper very happy now.

with all the new bushings repaired shocks & fixed cross member, it feels amazing drives like its on rails ! point and shoot now feel ! ... I still need a corner balance & alignment done so it will only get much better.

straight from japan !! this is the holy grail of part numbers for my car. with this book and part numbers all I can say is WOW WOW..... there is a boat all read in bound from japan to canada with my new parts on it like the JDM skirt kit, the jdm air dam along with much much more things for this car and my other build the Leone Wagon.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
I had an 83 GL Hatch back in 2010, this thread makes me miss it oh' so much.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Is this the same car?

1986 Subaru GL-10 TURBO | cars & trucks | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 05 STi, 87 RX
Love what you have done with your Leone.

I wish I could do the same for my RX but budgets for LeMons keep it down. Eventually, I'd like to switch to an EJ22T/EJ25.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:34 PM

aeroquip hose fittings and line for the jdm Spec-C oil cooler

got my arp studs in the xt6 hubs

June 1... and then the virgin Leone meets a guard rail while saving my driving license & insurance hike

time to rebuild with all new factory oem parts that are getting hard to find For REAL !

cut the front rad support off not it will be bolt on for that quick release motor swaps lol

got around to adding the BRZ koyo rad OEM subaru rad support new

test fit and drilling holes for bolt on action

jdm Spec-C cooler ready ! Franz welded my AN fittings for me

powder coated and bolted up all stainless steel bolts where all the spot welds where with oil cooler

everything lines up and my spare bumper beam sand blasted and powder coated also

brz filler neck and radiator cap fits nice

and some jdm Leone goods, the fogs with power flip the covers on there own lol pretty slick 80s subaru stuff

strip down ready for the paint job

single stage white BASF Glasurit single stage paint like the factory did

$o $hiny and new !.. wow was my factory paint so dull

more brand new everything from the dealership oem, shiny paint needs new stickers and symbols

home sweet home ready for me to put her back together again

all most done

jdm 3D corner lights sick

jdm SUPER light weight head lights with H4 bulb's

jdm lights dont blind on coming traffic these are also used in europe so beam pattern is straight on a wall with no cut lines pretty cool

black stuff all back on door moldings mud flaps and lower air spoiler..

lost two moldings for front fender, new ones on the way

new oem turbo stickers and jdm Leone tail lights

had to add 4WD in my TURBO lol.. started life as FWD now its a real subaru

all updated and still got small things to add again, trim parts around the windows and front bumper cover.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Awesome project man, great job
Old 08-22-2014, 05:36 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by ddavis
this you are quite handy my friend
Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
This is such an awesome build! Thank you for documenting so much of it for us! Keep it up man! !!!!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by ddavis
thank you

Originally Posted by RAWeiss
this you are quite handy my friend
lol i try thank you.

Originally Posted by queeg9k
This is such an awesome build! Thank you for documenting so much of it for us! Keep it up man! !!!!!!
glad you enjoy the hole thing its been a long time now with, 3 years pretty much it sucks because its only been 3 summers which is like 1 full long year in Canada lol..

car is back up and running, oil cooler and brz rad are working very well with the new set up. its time to get it out on the track before winter comes.

Quick Reply: 1986 Subaru Leone STi TURBO