NorCal Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

WTB spray tint [where?]

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru WRX 5-door
WTB spray tint [where?]

hey guys, it seems that shipping on these cans of tint puts the price over $20 a can, please tell me theres a place to get this stuff in the south bay / sili vally?
I have an 08 rex and really want to smoke my taillights, they are just too bright for my taste. I do not want to black them out completely by any stretch, so please keep the "rear ending" comments to yourself. I would use film, but theres some other things i want to do with the spray tint as well that film will not accomplish. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
just buy the tint kits(vinyls) much better idea, cause then u can take them off when u get pulled over lol...

i had that issue when i spray tinted my tails..
Old 09-12-2008, 10:35 AM

Car Info: 02 MBP wagon
or go to hobbytown usa in san jose or fremont and get the Tamiya brand "smoke" spray paint for polycarbonates. My buddy did this on his ridgeline and it came out really good. not blacked out, just smoked. he did about 3 coats of smoke and a couple of clears. looks pro. its cheap too.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:23 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru WRX 5-door
nolan, that sounds good. Did it come out glossy and shiny? Because i have definitely seen some that didn't end up that way. Do you know what kind of clear coat he used? Thanks for the info. Oh, and do you know if he has had any cop issues with his?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by skaunit
nolan, that sounds good. Did it come out glossy and shiny? Because i have definitely seen some that didn't end up that way. Do you know what kind of clear coat he used? Thanks for the info. Oh, and do you know if he has had any cop issues with his?
its glossy / shiny. not sure of the clear, but he also got it at the hobby store. just make sure and get stuff for 'polycarbonates' bc the stuff for plastics cracks and chips more easily.

as far as cop attention, we live in the bay area, where attention is high, but he did it on his ridgeline, so no, no cop attention. a nice wrx in san jose tho... i cant really speak for.

I'll have him send me a pic of what it looks like so you can see it. its a nice cheap mod for tails bc taillights arent prone to road debris and rock chips since theyre in the back.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 PM

alright, so heres a couple of shots of it on my friends ridgeline and his friends gti. he said that this is actually like 4-5 coats of 'smoke' and 1-2 coats of clear. Unforunately, these look really dark, like blacked out. But i think its a combination of crappy iphone pics, and the contrast between the dark lens and the bright white car that makes it look this way. In real life, its very smoked, not blacked out.

hope this helps.

Name:  ridgelinetail.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  gtitail.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  50.7 KB