Newbie & FAQ New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the I-Club group. FAQs will also be answered in here.

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:44 AM

Car Info: Impreza 2006
Talking New Guy

Heya Guys and Gals. I just traded in my '01 Civic (gonna miss her) and picked up and '06 Impreza (non-turbo) 2 days ago. I'm semi-new to the Subaru seen; my dad has a 2009 forester and my wife drives an '03 forester, both with the 2.5x. Being the newbie i have lots of questions and lots of plans. I'll start with the questions first. I would like to start off by finding out which motor i have in the car. Next can I plan to add a turbo to my car without changing the stock setup? I will add exhaust and put lower intercooler on so i can keep the stock hood. I plan on buying a used WRX Turbo, Intercooler, and Fuel Injectors, as well as changing the fuel pump. But other than that do i have to change anything internally on the motor, or will it be able to handle the boost as stock? I know what you're thinking "why is he buying used instead of new, and why not something bigger and better?" Well, as we all do, i have a budget and i'm really not looking to turn this thing into a race car. I just want to the boos the power a bit for a little fun.
Third where is a good place/site to buy brakes? This includes pads, lines, calipers, and discs. I'm going to start working on it sometime after next April (its still under warranty from Subaru and there is NO WAY i'm going to void it) and i want to start pricing things out so i can get a general idea of what its going to cost me. I know that prices will change by then but at least this way i can get a ballpark figure. And finally, I would like to post some pics of my girl but i'm not sure how. i'm not very internet savy and have never posted a picture online. Thanks in advance for the help and tips!
P.S. AWD is AWESOMESAUCE!!!!

Last edited by Grumbum; 06-07-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Incorrect info
Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 AM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
i cant help much as i am a newb and dont know too much myself but i would like to welcome you to the forums and you'll find answers soon since everyone here is pretty helpful!

WELCOME! :-D
Old 06-07-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by imprezachiang
i cant help much as i am a newb and dont know too much myself but i would like to welcome you to the forums and you'll find answers soon since everyone here is pretty helpful!

WELCOME! :-D

Thanks!!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:47 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
welcome aboard!!!

just do a whole motor swap with ecu and wiring. If you add a turbo and injectors you are going to have more headaches

brakes: there are a lot of great vendors here that will be happy to help you with both
Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Welcome!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:56 PM

Car Info: STi 2008
Welcome to i-club.

POST PICSSSS
Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 AM

Car Info: 07 black piggy STI, 1996 Integra LS
I second the motor swap, but don't expect the wiring harness to be any less of a headache.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by AlanNgo7
Welcome to i-club.

POST PICSSSS
I posted some pics here https://www.i-club.com/forums/show-shine-212/just-picked-up-06-a-220053/.
If i do the motor swap, which motor do i use. I don't even know which motor is in the car. Do i swap to an EL engine? If so, which one? Remember, i'm still a noob Oh an i'm looking to buy a set of fog lights for the car. Any suggestions where to get them? And are they just direct fit bolt-on? Oh yeah i almost forgot. Are the impreza rims universal for subarus? I'm planning on buying a set of tarmac's and was going to put my current rims onto my wifes forester. Also, what size rims should i buy, 17 or 18? I'm not going to lower it because i do alot of backpacking and have t take it on some pretty rough roads where i'll need the clearance. I also haven' been able to find an exhaust system for my car. The only exhaust systems that are coming up are for the WRX and STi. Any idea where i can get an exhaust system for it? Thanks again!

Last edited by Grumbum; 06-08-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
welcome aboard!!!

just do a whole motor swap with ecu and wiring. If you add a turbo and injectors you are going to have more headaches

brakes: there are a lot of great vendors here that will be happy to help you with both

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
No problem
Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Grumbum
I posted some pics here https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220053.
If i do the motor swap, which motor do i use. I don't even know which motor is in the car. Do i swap to an EL engine? If so, which one? Remember, i'm still a noob Oh an i'm looking to buy a set of fog lights for the car. Any suggestions where to get them? And are they just direct fit bolt-on? Oh yeah i almost forgot. Are the impreza rims universal for subarus? I'm planning on buying a set of tarmac's and was going to put my current rims onto my wifes forester. Also, what size rims should i buy, 17 or 18? I'm not going to lower it because i do alot of backpacking and have t take it on some pretty rough roads where i'll need the clearance. I also haven' been able to find an exhaust system for my car. The only exhaust systems that are coming up are for the WRX and STi. Any idea where i can get an exhaust system for it? Thanks again!