i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Newbie & FAQ (https://www.i-club.com/forums/newbie-faq-206/)
-   -   New Guy (https://www.i-club.com/forums/newbie-faq-206/new-guy-220047/)

Grumbum 06-07-2010 04:44 AM

New Guy

Heya Guys and Gals. I just traded in my '01 Civic (gonna miss her) and picked up and '06 Impreza (non-turbo) 2 days ago. I'm semi-new to the Subaru seen; my dad has a 2009 forester and my wife drives an '03 forester, both with the 2.5x. Being the newbie i have lots of questions and lots of plans. I'll start with the questions first. I would like to start off by finding out which motor i have in the car. Next can I plan to add a turbo to my car without changing the stock setup? I will add exhaust and put lower intercooler on so i can keep the stock hood. I plan on buying a used WRX Turbo, Intercooler, and Fuel Injectors, as well as changing the fuel pump. But other than that do i have to change anything internally on the motor, or will it be able to handle the boost as stock? I know what you're thinking "why is he buying used instead of new, and why not something bigger and better?" Well, as we all do, i have a budget and i'm really not looking to turn this thing into a race car. I just want to the boos the power a bit for a little fun.
Third where is a good place/site to buy brakes? This includes pads, lines, calipers, and discs. I'm going to start working on it sometime after next April (its still under warranty from Subaru and there is NO WAY i'm going to void it) and i want to start pricing things out so i can get a general idea of what its going to cost me. I know that prices will change by then but at least this way i can get a ballpark figure. And finally, I would like to post some pics of my girl but i'm not sure how. i'm not very internet savy and have never posted a picture online. Thanks in advance for the help and tips!
P.S. AWD is AWESOMESAUCE!!!!

LegAC_GT 06-07-2010 04:52 AM

i cant help much as i am a newb and dont know too much myself but i would like to welcome you to the forums and you'll find answers soon since everyone here is pretty helpful!

WELCOME! :-D

Grumbum 06-07-2010 05:04 AM

[QUOTE=imprezachiang;2883318]i cant help much as i am a newb and dont know too much myself but i would like to welcome you to the forums and you'll find answers soon since everyone here is pretty helpful!

WELCOME! :-D[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!

sigma pi 06-07-2010 10:47 AM

welcome aboard!!!

just do a whole motor swap with ecu and wiring. If you add a turbo and injectors you are going to have more headaches

brakes: there are a lot of great vendors here that will be happy to help you with both :D

LOL_VTEC 06-07-2010 11:04 AM

Welcome!

AlanNgo7 06-07-2010 11:56 PM

Welcome to i-club.

POST PICSSSS

ouji 06-08-2010 12:31 AM

I second the motor swap, but don't expect the wiring harness to be any less of a headache.

Grumbum 06-08-2010 05:29 AM

[QUOTE=AlanNgo7;2883929]Welcome to i-club.

POST PICSSSS[/QUOTE]

I posted some pics here [url]https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220053[/url].
If i do the motor swap, which motor do i use. I don't even know which motor is in the car. Do i swap to an EL engine? If so, which one? Remember, i'm still a noob :60277EB7B04744289C0 Oh an i'm looking to buy a set of fog lights for the car. Any suggestions where to get them? And are they just direct fit bolt-on? Oh yeah i almost forgot. Are the impreza rims universal for subarus? I'm planning on buying a set of tarmac's and was going to put my current rims onto my wifes forester. Also, what size rims should i buy, 17 or 18? I'm not going to lower it because i do alot of backpacking and have t take it on some pretty rough roads where i'll need the clearance. I also haven' been able to find an exhaust system for my car. The only exhaust systems that are coming up are for the WRX and STi. Any idea where i can get an exhaust system for it? Thanks again!

Grumbum 06-08-2010 08:04 AM

[QUOTE=sigma pi;2883411]welcome aboard!!!

just do a whole motor swap with ecu and wiring. If you add a turbo and injectors you are going to have more headaches

brakes: there are a lot of great vendors here that will be happy to help you with both :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks! :)

sigma pi 06-08-2010 08:47 AM

No problem :D

Grumbum 06-08-2010 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=Grumbum;2883974]I posted some pics here [url]https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220053[/url].
If i do the motor swap, which motor do i use. I don't even know which motor is in the car. Do i swap to an EL engine? If so, which one? Remember, i'm still a noob :60277EB7B04744289C0 Oh an i'm looking to buy a set of fog lights for the car. Any suggestions where to get them? And are they just direct fit bolt-on? Oh yeah i almost forgot. Are the impreza rims universal for subarus? I'm planning on buying a set of tarmac's and was going to put my current rims onto my wifes forester. Also, what size rims should i buy, 17 or 18? I'm not going to lower it because i do alot of backpacking and have t take it on some pretty rough roads where i'll need the clearance. I also haven' been able to find an exhaust system for my car. The only exhaust systems that are coming up are for the WRX and STi. Any idea where i can get an exhaust system for it? Thanks again![/QUOTE] ***