Newbie & FAQ New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the I-Club group. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Need help, I'm interested in purchasing a WRX, but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 2003 Subaru WRX
Question Need help, I'm interested in purchasing a WRX, but...

So, I've always been very interested in purchasing a Subaru Impreza, and there's a WRX for sale locally.
The problem is, He said the engine was rebuilt at 150k miles, and when I was showing a buddy of mine, he said that the engine did not look rebuilt at all, and he wouldn't buy it.

I heard you guys really know your stuff, so I thought you might be able to give me a little advice.

Here's the link: 2003 Subaru WRX: New paint, New engine
Old 02-16-2014, 02:13 PM

Car Info: 2011 Subaru WRX STI Sedan
This is a tough one, I personally don't like reusing valves, rockers, pistons, rings, or seals, when "rebuilding" an engine. All you get is a motor that was taken apart and put back together.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by d_heimbigner
This is a tough one, I personally don't like reusing valves, rockers, pistons, rings, or seals, when "rebuilding" an engine. All you get is a motor that was taken apart and put back together.
I wrote him and asked him about the rebuild. Should I post what he responded with? Would that help at all?
Old 02-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dubyew
I wrote him and asked him about the rebuild. Should I post what he responded with? Would that help at all?
That would be helpful
Old 02-16-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by d_heimbigner
That would be helpful
I rebuilt the engine with all new parts, this is not my first Subaru rebuild, I have done 3 other ej2x engines, with one pushing 500hp as well as countless other engines, but technically I am not a "professional" as I dont do it for a living. I started with a running ej20 engine, tore it completely down and rebuilt it from there. New OE bearings, the stock rods were still perfect so I re-used those, the crank was good so it got re-used. The crank and rods were balanced to perfection. It then got a good hone just because I could at the time, but no boring of the cylinders. I put some brand new OE specs pistons in it along with new rings. Then I took the heads to my machinist and had him check valve lashes etc. He made the heads perfect. Put the heads back on the newly built short block and went through the very tedious head torquing procedure. After this enduring procedure the cams were put into place and timing was set. After that all the accessories were put back on the engine. I dropped the engine in the car and started it. I can go into more detail if needed.

Like I said in the ad, the car still needs a tune. I have tuned it to the best of my capabilities to run it safely, but it definitely is not at its full potential as of right now. FYI this is not the first car I have tuned, I use to work for a race shop and all I did was tune cars, but again, I am not a "professional". Also if it is power you are after, this car is a perfect candidate for a vf39 swap as half of the job is already done. If the car does not sell soon I myself will be putting a vf39 on it or maybe a blouch 16g.

I have tried to be as truthful with the sales ad as possible as well as with what I have written above. Please remember that the interior is not perfect. The carpet is torn under the driver side pedals and well as a stain in the back seat I just cannot remove for the life of me, but it is a work in progress and I am continuously trying to remove these problems. I love these cars and love to brings them back to life but am ready to move on the faster and rwd vehicles.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:23 PM

Car Info: car
Go with your gut feeling. I've gone against my gut feeling before and regretted it
Old 02-16-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hobosexual
Go with your gut feeling. I've gone against my gut feeling before and regretted it
+1 there. Ultimately it's up to you, there are other areas to keep in mind when buying one of these cars used though too, ie. suspension, exhaust, hubs, ect. Take it for a drive and listen to how the car reacts to bumps and dips in the road too. Good luck
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by Dubyew
Thanks guys.
what is your budget? i feel like you would be able to get something with a non-rebuilt motor for not that much more
Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by flat489

what is your budget? i feel like you would be able to get something with a non-rebuilt motor for not that much more
+1. rebuilt or not, that bugeye is beat. Just be patient and something else in that price range will surface. Go with something stock that hasn't been torn down.