new to boston. question about car setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:52 PM

new to boston. question about car setup

hi
i am going to bring my car out to boston in a few months. i just want to know what kinda setup i should have done before i bring it out. currently it is lowered on eibach springs. i have been running this setup and the shocks are dead! so im going to buy new suspension before i bring it to boston.

i have not experienced a winter here in boston just yet and dont know how the road conditions are. the road quality is not good in boston tho.. that i already know.

as of right now i have a few setups im thinking about.

option #1

buy some usdm sti take offs and use eibach springs i already have.

my concern regarding this although the shock will be strong... the springs will make them wear quicker. also the ride quality of a lowered car in boston is somethign i need to think about. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINKS? i have thoughts abotu running a jun bumper as well. and that is a bit lowered. will my car survive?

option #2

buy usdm sti take offs and just run em with the stock sti springs.

more clearance. probably better ride quality. but i wont have as much performance. nor will i the lowered look. if i can get away without damaging the car on lowered springs i dont ming a lil harsher ride. INPUT WANTED. with this setup i will be running 17 inch rims.

option #3

buy some type of coilover system. its a lil more money but i MIGHT be willing to drop the money. since the conditions are more "rally" like.. i am thinkign about going with dms suspension. does anyone run these coilovers out here in boston?
with this setup.. i just may consider raising the car, running 17 inch rally rims with agressive winter. or just kepe it stock height. if i can get away with either of the first 2 options i would prefer not to spend the extra money on this option. but i WILL consider it. because a riased wrx is pretty unique in my book.

which look would be more pratical? a raised subaru is extreme... plus the car is originally from california. so i would bring it back there in the summers.. i want it lowered but i am worried abotu road conditions. a stock height subaru is nothign to look at.. but i will do it if the road conditions are really that bad. the pot holes are pretty big.. but i really dotn konw until i drive a wrx here in boston.

all comments are welcome

thanks guys
Old 12-31-2004, 01:24 AM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
Wink

As you probably know by now, the roads here in and around Boston are pretty miserable, personally my defination would be nightmare, and when it snows, even worse. I wouldnt recommend lowering your car around here. Theres just too many potholes i think, i mean ya you could work around them but they seem appear daily especially in the winter.
On the bright side, we own subaru's! And with the amazing AWD, driving in the snowy conditions can be veryy Very Fun, which pretty much goes without saying... I love going up to the line with 6 cylinder luxory in the snowy conditions and blowing them away with my little old 4-gunner.. Now I know on any dry day I would get smoked but my little RS can blow the doors off ALOT of cars in the snowy conditions that would normally ruin me in dry conditions.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 2002 Alpine White WRX
I have had Tein-S on my car for about 10k with the stock struts and so far so good, you just have to be somewhat carefull with potholes but in my opinion that's better then the offroad stock look. If you're carefull you can survive perfectly fine with a lowered car.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:11 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
Smile although...

I definetely agree that 99.9%, i might even say 100%, of potholes are avoidable and being careful will keep you out of them but sometimes you just run into situations where there is no way out. No matter how nasty you are it just happens and lots of potholes (that is lots of massive potholes like in Beantown) will increase the chance of that happening, Just my 2 cents. But anyways,, secretaznboy did you make a decisoion yet as to what you're doing?? Personally I park in a parking garage almost daily and tend to do some minor offroading so lowering really wouldnt be for me which was why I said at first that I wouldnt recommend it BUT it sounds like this is something that you really like so maybe i would say go ahead with it, depsite the street condition aspect. I definetely think it looks really terrific slightly lowered and upgrading the suspension would hopefully give a large increase to your performance, what model do you have?? Also, On your old setup, the eibach springs, was your suspension a lot tighter or did they make it alot softer? I guess what I'm asking is, Did it help give a smoother ride on rough roads or did it make it more sensitive, feeling more bumps??
Old 01-06-2005, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
+1 for looking at prodrives, they aren't as low as the other options.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:53 PM

hey guys
yeah.. i think im just going with the sti take offs, and maybe group-n tophats for the front. would love to include the pink springs with that setup but we'll see...

i plan to get the under dray for the front as well.

by next year ill have helix up and down pipe as well and axle back. i will have it dyno tunned over here in bay area. dont konw which ecu just yet.