Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Tail lights not working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 03 Wagon WRB
Tail lights not working?

Hey everyone I am in need of some help. I accidently snapped my parking light switch off on my steering column and now my tail lights are not working. I have checked all fuses and bulbs and they are fine.

Does the parking light switch run on the same circuit as just the tailights? My brake lights and ALL OTHER LIGHTS work fine. I know for a fact that its not my daytime running lights or something smaller like that. I am in need of help as I leave for work before the sun comes up and come home once the sun goes down.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:38 AM

My brother had the same problem when he took his parking light switch out. Once he put it back in the lights started to work again. So the switch does have to do with some curcuit or something else. Drive with your hazard lights on because he got pulled over.

Drive safely.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
All a switch is a wire crosser, Just cross the wires from the broken switch and your tails should work again.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wrx2fast4ufool
All a switch is a wire crosser, Just cross the wires from the broken switch and your tails should work again.
All the wires are actually inside the plastic housing of the parking switch. Would it be possible to cross the wires near my taillights, or would the cross have to be done at the parking switch itself?

I have also noticed that the steering wheel would need to come off to access anything on the steering column. I have removed the plastic cover and there are 4 screws that come out toward the driver where the wheel sits. Has anyone else attempted this fix w/o taking off the steering wheel or bringing it in to the dealership?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:50 PM

Car Info: wrx
hey i had a similar problem as you. i made a thread couple months ago(some pics included)
https://www.i-club.com/forums/interior-exterior-lighting-69/help-rear-running-lights-not-working-144365/

basicly you NEED that parking switch(on top of steering column) in order to complete the circuit. Thus allowing your tail lights + the yellow parking lights in front to work.

drive with hazards on at night: i got pulled over too

to fix it, youll just have to complete the circuit where the parking switch is. you can do this by snapping back your switch in, (make sure you have that ballbearing still, look at my thread). or you can some how do some electric work by connecting the connections together (which the parking switch does).
Old 12-24-2006, 10:21 AM

Thank you for your help. That is the exact same problem that I have run into. I still have the switch itself and the ball bearing, but one of the two prongs/holes that hold the switch into place have snapped off so there is no way to secure it. Guess I will just have to have it replaced....

Thanks all for your help with this issue.