Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Suede interior....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 08:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Suede interior....

I couldn't take the plastic A pillars, etc and paper headliner anymore.

Total cost of project=$50
suede-$8/yd x 5yds
contact cement-$5
sand paper-$5
Attached Thumbnails Suede interior....-web1.jpg   Suede interior....-web2.jpg   Suede interior....-web3.jpg   Suede interior....-web4.jpg   Suede interior....-web6.jpg  

Suede interior....-web7.jpg  
Old 10-28-2005, 09:12 AM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
I think I like it! Did you completely remove everything or just cover it up? Now you just need to do something about those sun visors.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:24 AM
VIP Member

^^teh sun visors i'm gonna have to take to someone to get wrapped, they need to be stitched and I'm no seamstress!

Next i'm gonna wrap the door inserts, I don't really like the wannabe carbon fiber fabric.

Yeah I pulled everything out of the car, I'll post some pics of the pieces out of car and how they get wrapped.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:40 AM
VIP Member

Here are some pics of the interior pieces out of the car.
The job itself was pretty easy, but you need a compressor and a spray gun to spray the contact cement.

And if you do the head liner, you'll need a buddy to help, extra pair of hands is needed for the large piece, and the head liner was a little tricky getting out of the car, finally got it out the passenger side front door with a little prodding and prying.
Attached Thumbnails Suede interior....-www.jpg   Suede interior....-www2.jpg   Suede interior....-www3.jpg   Suede interior....-www4.jpg  
Old 10-28-2005, 10:23 AM

Car Info: '07 STI
oh wow, this looks freakin nice... think you'd be willing to help people do it? does it take long? i'd love to do the same, but just in black instead of gray but damn, looks freakin nice!!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:30 AM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
Yeah, good job! After seeing what you did I might want to do something like that for my car. I don't have a spray gun, so I might have to improvise a little with the adhesive.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

^^you can use 3m adhesive in a spray can($8/can), but it doesn't stick as well as the contact cement.....you spray the cement on the plastic piece and then spray the suede and let both dry, then the contact cement really grips well

Dunnojack-I would be willing to advise people on how to do it, but i'm no pro when it comes to disassembling interiors, some clips get broken/lost and getting the headliner out of the car is a pain in the *** without damaging some of the corners a little. Its basically an arts and crafts type project and this was the first time I attempted to tackle it myself, so you live and learn as you go.

I bought a $29 detail spray gun from Lowes to spray the contact cement, I have access to a compressor at work, so 29 bucks for a spray gun and try to find a friend with a compressor.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:33 PM

Car Info: wrx
wow pretty nice. i wanna try doing this myself. any tips? or links on tutorials?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:10 AM
VIP Member

^^no links, just did it myself and help of a friend who had done it previously.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
thats adds such a sporty and classy touch to the car... imagine that but black... in an 06 with black leather... yum, i want
Old 11-02-2005, 07:23 AM
VIP Member

that's exactly what I was going for, the sporty look from the lexus IS, gives it more of the luxury sport sedan look, the wrx interior is a good start, the steering wheel is way better in the 04-05, the gauges are nice (except for the green lights), etc......

When I do the door inserts this weekend, it should look really nice matching up with the headliner and eliminating the carbon fiber fabric look.

The only other interior upgrade I want to do (besides suede inserts on the seats) is the dash lights, but it looks like people here have had mixed results with that project, so I'm not really sure I want to f*ck with it.

I have to give props to my buddy who helped me out with the project, Phil T. Monx---->Dead Monkey Racing, he had done it to a few cars prior, and he showed me how to do it.

Last edited by case1; 11-02-2005 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
holy crap thats beautiful. can i ask where you can get suede fabric from? looks like something even a non-wrench monkey could do with a bit of time and patience.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:29 PM
VIP Member

I got the fabric from the garment district in downtown LA, but any fabrics store should carry suede.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
hey case, again, sweet job man... I really appreciate this kind of inspiration, it's nice to see creativity on the boards, things that we can all benefit from and enjoy doing for ourselves... Do post some more pictures once you get the door inserts done... more pics of the process would be appreciated too!

This is a great post, Sorry, I'm rather tongue tied, it looks extremely rich...
Old 11-04-2005, 07:31 AM
VIP Member

^^Thanks boostaddict. I will post pics when i'm done with the door inserts and more pics of the process for sure.

Quick Reply: Suede interior....