Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

The quest for better interior lighting revisited (inst. for Direct Replacement LEDs)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 02:24 AM

The #74 size you don't have any other lens choices, they only have the focused ones. Take sandpaper to the lens and take the dome off. Just sand it flat. You can go down to a bit under a millimeter from the actual diode (the metal thing you can see inside the lens). Lightly sand the sides as well for the best dispersion.

Get a few extra #74s, the HVAC unit and key illumination use the same size IIRC there are 3 or 4 in the HVAC and one in the ignition switch bezel.

Last edited by wagon christ; 05-09-2004 at 02:28 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-09-2004, 10:05 AM

Hmm. The one in your photo looks flat, but way long. It's still described as a focused lens. Dome or flat, the closer the diode is to the end of the lens, the wider the dispersion will be. Sand it down.

*****, but the autoillumination site is butt ugly and hard to navigate
Old 05-16-2004, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by IntraWRX
I found that cutting the plastic flat as close to the diode as possible, and then sanding the sides to make it frosted all around helps a great deal with the hotspots and evens out the lighting on the dash.
Bingo. Exactly what I was trying to say.
i wonder, 3 of those bulbs i pulled out of the instrument cluster were larger than the regular 74s, are those the 194 size? would the dash be lit up better (speedo/tach) if i used 194s where the big bulbs used to be?
Yes, two or three in the cluster were #194 size. I think this may even vary with model years. I could only obtain focused LEDs, so I cut them with side-clippers and then sanded them flat and almost to the diode. The US vendor has reverse lens items which are probably optimum.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
i used the led 74's but they arent too bright... would the in candescent bulbs work better???
Old 06-05-2004, 05:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by wonton2049
i used the led 74's but they arent too bright... would the in candescent bulbs work better???
No...

Got your email wonton... I'm assuming your lighting doesn't work in the HVAC because you have to tinker with the +/- filaments on the LED bulbs.

So let's go by the numbers shall we?

1)Did you trim the end portion of the LED to fit the socket snug? Not too tight and not too loose?

2)Did you tinker with the +/- filaments on the bulb and try to get it to light after you played with it carefully in the socket?

3)When you trimmed the bulb end did you accidentally trim the workings and filament of the LED?

4)***this happened to me*** Did you break the socket that holds the bulb inside the H-VAC? You'll have to un-do a couple things and snake your hand behind and pull it out via a 90degree twist. Look inside the the socket and use a small needle to re-position the +/- connectors inside the socket to where they SHOULD be... where they were before doing this mod that is.

5)Did you blow a fuse? Look at the fuse diagram and see if ANY (especially lighting) have blown.

6)????

Goodluck!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I keep getting all these confussing remarks for some reason and have some questions for you guys...

1) Are the instructions helpful? I tried to make them as user friendly, straight forward and detailed as possible. I know the pictures on the hvac/keyring instructions crashed but it's pretty damn self explainitory. You'll need a phillips screwdriver and a little common sense to figue it out, right?

2) Are you happy with the results? I know it's not a STi cluster and damn the green film but this is the best i could come with. I'm actually quite pleased with my blue cluster and green hvac now.

Last edited by Salty; 06-10-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
In my opinion, awesome instructions, BUT not for my car which really sux (99 OBS) I tried this, and the lights where the wrong size and too dim, for the nums on the gauge they are barely enough when sanded, BUT cant see the needles at all.

It gave me ideas tho, and looked pretty awsome, so I still like it

Thnx

Quick Reply: The quest for better interior lighting revisited (inst. for Direct Replacement LEDs)