Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

The quest for better interior lighting revisited (inst. for Direct Replacement LEDs)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 08:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by WRX Rush
Sisqocqk:
I have read your article about interior lighting. . . fantastic. I have a question on how to change the lighting on the:
Clock
Foglight/cruise control button
Door controls (ie windows&locks)
OEM Boost Gauge

Everything in my interior is blue exept those things. Any info is greatly appreciated
Thank you for being the "Guru of Lighting"

WRX Rus
To be truthful im not too sure on the clock and door controls because they were dim to begin with and i didn't mind them. i don't have a factory oem boost gauge but i know you can change bulb condoms or even replace it with an LED. you might need to take off the column and monkey around with it until you can figure it out. It might be wise to invest in a aftermarket boost gauge with blue lighting. As for the Cruise/Foglight buttons i simply put on a .12" blue bulb condom on the lower bulb.

If you open the fuse door and take it off you can reach the switches and pop them out by pushing them toward you. Once you've done that you need to disconnect the female/male portion of the wire. now turn the assembly on it's side and you'll see two colored plastic screws. Those are the bulbs.

Simply take a flat head screw driver and pop the lower one out. then put a .12" blue condom on (i got them from http://www.partsexpress.com ), the other bulb is for the indicator light and you won't be able to change that. The switches also have a green film so it'll be blue with a tad bit of green in it. There's a way to get the green film out but that involves seperating the switch face but you risk further damage and it may not be worth it. The blue .12" condom seemed to do the trick fine.

I'll look for detailed instructions on how to seperate the face of the switches. Once/if I find it i'll post it here.

Eric

Sorry i couldn't help you out too much....

Last edited by Salty; 01-15-2004 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:10 AM
VIP Member

WRX Rush: As i promised...here are the best instructions i have for the Fog/Cruise/IC switches. Granted these are for the STi but they're the same type of switches.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ight=glue+bulb

I have yet to tackle the green film on my switches but i will in the next few days with detailed pics and instructions. This sticky was created because i wanted a comprehensive alternative in order to take the guess work out of everything in regard to interior lighting.

Hope this helps you out until i provide my own set of instructions.

*In the instructions he mentions painting the bulb. It would be worth your while to do it properly with a .12" bulb condom from www.partsexpress.com. Over time the paint could fade and crack due to the heat of the bulb.

Eric.

Last edited by Salty; 01-16-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Sisqocqk:
YOU DA MAN !!

WRX Rush
Old 01-17-2004, 08:37 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by WRX Rush
Sisqocqk:
YOU DA MAN !!

WRX Rush
No problem. If you need anything else shoot me a post.

Eric
Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 AM
VIP Member

Well last night i tried to make the blue light in the cluster brighter by attemptng to gut the green film and install new blue film I bought from Michaels craft store. Unfortunately, the green seems to be part of the actual number display and removing it would cause the numbers on the faces to dissapear also.

I then tried to install the blue film just behind the gauge faces with green film and it had no effect still. I could imagine that it would be possible to remove the thin material of the gauge faces after CAREFULLY removing the needles with a protractor, peel off all the green film and white, then finally repaint every single number etc white with spray paint or a VERY patient hand. Then after that add a desired color film to get the color/effect you'd want. If you went that route you'd want to be sure to have ALL the needed products, tools etc and a lot of quality time to sit down and do it in one shot properly.

Seeing how im not willing to attempt what was mentioned in the second paragraph, I believe my setup is as good as it will get unless you opt for reverse indiglos or the STi cluster (which isn't 100% compatible BTW) .

Happy lighting, Eric
Old 01-27-2004, 10:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
I am going to swap out my dashboard gauge lights for the blue LEDs (RED ones for the turn signals, heh heh!) and have a few questions...

1) Are there any voltage problems from this? The WRX seems to have a very weak and touchy electrical system; I know someone who put in an interior LED light and now his car throws a CEL and the lights dim when he uses his flashers.

2) Have any of you tried LED lamps in places other than the interor -- for instance, in the side markers, backing lights or other minor exterior lights? There are MANY compatible cluster bulbs out there, some cheaper than the actual incandescents. Any comments?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:04 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by meilers
I am going to swap out my dashboard gauge lights for the blue LEDs (RED ones for the turn signals, heh heh!) and have a few questions...

1) Are there any voltage problems from this? The WRX seems to have a very weak and touchy electrical system; I know someone who put in an interior LED light and now his car throws a CEL and the lights dim when he uses his flashers.

2) Have any of you tried LED lamps in places other than the interor -- for instance, in the side markers, backing lights or other minor exterior lights? There are MANY compatible cluster bulbs out there, some cheaper than the actual incandescents. Any comments?
-First off Blue LEDs will be fine in the dash...the red signal indicators will still appear faint orange/brown because of that damn green film. I too tried red signal indicators with dissapointing results so you may want to try green or blue because they work the best for that.

1)these direct replacement LEDs are infact 12v bulbs, like everything else that runs off the battery in your car. They shouldn't throw a CEL based on the voltage issue. I haven't thrown a CEL yet due to these bulbs and probably won't because they work the same as the OEM style bulbs. If i do then i'll post it immediately in this thread.

2)As far as the exterior is concerned i have heard horror stories in regard to Shorts, CELs etc. for the subaru line of cars. I have yet to play with these bulbs because my older cars (all GM cars) suffered the same shorts etc. Ever drive behind that POS riced out honda and wonder why one blinker is flashing way too fast? well it's because he replaced the regular bulbs with an LED style bulb and the car can't handle it for one reason or another. If you find any good info on an successful EXTERIOR LED project for the subaru then PM me with it and i'll give it a try with detailed instructions to follow.

Hope I answered your questions.

Eric
Old 01-28-2004, 08:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Thanks for your input! You saved me from getting the red LEDs...

Several of the sites that sell the car LEDs also offer mini-ballasts or resistors that are supposed to make up for the voltage difference and correct "flasher" problems. I think I am going to order LED bulbs for my side markers (I'm going to swap them for clear ones this weekend) and one of the resistors and just try it out; I've got a spot picked out over the wheel well (inside) which should be perfect for mounting it.

The weak electrical system is one of the few things that annoy me about this car -- 55w headlamps from the factory is just pathetic, when so many other cars in our price range come with HID or 85w systems. I'm sure the guys in the stereo and security forum could share some horror stories as well!
Old 01-28-2004, 08:39 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by meilers
Thanks for your input! You saved me from getting the red LEDs...

Several of the sites that sell the car LEDs also offer mini-ballasts or resistors that are supposed to make up for the voltage difference and correct "flasher" problems. I think I am going to order LED bulbs for my side markers (I'm going to swap them for clear ones this weekend) and one of the resistors and just try it out; I've got a spot picked out over the wheel well (inside) which should be perfect for mounting it.

The weak electrical system is one of the few things that annoy me about this car -- 55w headlamps from the factory is just pathetic, when so many other cars in our price range come with HID or 85w systems. I'm sure the guys in the stereo and security forum could share some horror stories as well!
Sounds good to me! keep us posted on how it goes and goodluck!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Does the dimmer of the gauges still work?

EDIT: Fixed your capslock key for you.

Last edited by Wingless Wonder; 01-30-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:33 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by nic3krnnamja83
Does the dimmer of the gauges still work?

EDIT: Fixed your capslock key for you.
Yes the dimmer works the same way as it would with the OEM bulbs
Old 01-30-2004, 10:07 AM

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX WRB
I see on autolumination site they sell the led dome lights what one do i need for the dome light in my car? and the maps lights if possible also
Old 01-30-2004, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by SUDN RSH
I see on autolumination site they sell the led dome lights what one do i need for the dome light in my car? and the maps lights if possible also
A little OT but...

Although i can't see why you'd replace these lights i guess the best thing you can do is look in your owners manual for the bulb size or simply take a peek yourself. then buy that coresponding bulb.

Any color other than white would make the lighting worse IMHO. unless you're a haemophiliac and are scared of bleeding problems...in that case a blue led dome light would be best Or maybe you just want to see all the white lint ***** on your sweater or want an "in-car-rave". In that case i highly recommend the IR bulb.

I don't want to steer too OT from the original thread idea so you're on your own when it comes to those bulbs.

Eric
Old 02-02-2004, 07:44 PM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
i work better w/pics...you got any pics of the instrument cluster disassembled? an the polarity of the led at each location?
Old 02-02-2004, 09:22 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
i work better w/pics...you got any pics of the instrument cluster disassembled? an the polarity of the led at each location?
I did at one point but not anymore. That's why I tried to explain the instructions in detail. sorry

Quick Reply: The quest for better interior lighting revisited (inst. for Direct Replacement LEDs)