Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Passenger headlight went out last night need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 06 wrb sti
Passenger headlight went out last night need help

hey guys i have a 06 sti and last night my passenger headlight went out. Now im stuck lol, do you guys know what should I change? Ballast, bulbs? This is the first time that this happened to me and im not sure on what to do. Would it be cheaper just to get a set of aftermarket HIDs or just stick with OEM. Thanks guys
Old 12-19-2010, 03:44 PM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
Do you have aftermarket HID kit (ballast and bulb) installed? If you do, do a simple check by taking the ballast from the good side and hook it up to the bad side. If the bulb doesn't turn on, then you know it's a burnt bulb. But if the bulb does turn on, then you know it's a bad ballast.

If you don't have aftermarket HID kit, you could still do a check. Just do the same thing with your HID bulbs.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
The STI has OEM HIDs.
Check the headlight fuses first, there is one for each side. If fuses are ok, swap the bulbs from side to side to rule them in or out. Also look at the bulbs when you have them out, a good HID bulb will have a capsule that is whitish in color, a brown or black capsule indicates a worn-out bulb.
If the problem follows the bulb, replace them together as a pair for proper color match. If it doesn't follow the bulb and the fuses are good (best to test for power at the ballasts with a meter in this case to be sure), you may have a bad ballast. If the lights were opened in the past to clear them, it is possible they were not resealed correctly and some moisture has gotten inside and affected the ballasts.
In the event you do need bulbs, don't go to the dealer for them as they will be very expensive there. Go online and find a vendor who has OEM type Philips or Osram D2S bulbs, you should be able to find them for around $60/pair.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 PM

thanks guys for the inputs. I called up the dealer today and each bulb cost 217 each!!! and ballasts cost 420 each!!! FML!!! I tried the bulb from my passenger side to the driver side and it worked so that means i have a bad ballast. do you guys know any places that sells them for cheap? right now im just in the market of finding a use one. Both OEM bulbs are still good. thanks again guys for the help.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
DDM tuning.

Can't go wrong. Have a set of 55W on my girl as well as a set on my sportbike. Great deal, $40, can't go wrong
Old 12-20-2010, 07:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Originally Posted by DarkJuic3b0x
DDM tuning.

Can't go wrong. Have a set of 55W on my girl as well as a set on my sportbike. Great deal, $40, can't go wrong
Once again he has an STI with OEM HIDs, he does NOT need an aftermarket HID kit or parts.

Did you check the fuses as I suggested? There is a separate one for each side so that one may be blown.
Also if the ballast has gotten water in it as I mentioned, it may be possible to remove it and open it up to dry it out. Just do NOT apply power to the ballast if it is open or does not have a bulb connected to it, there are dangerous voltages present inside and on the output cable. If there are signs of water intrusion inside the headlight it will have to be opened up and resealed to prevent a recurrence.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 PM

yessir i checked the fuses and everything, dried the ballast and still no light. would you guys happen to know if 04-05 sti oem ballast will work on a 06?