Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Infamous STi Shift Trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 AM

Car Info: Hybrid
Infamous STi Shift Trim

Dear Guru's,

Here is my issue: I bought just the top piece of the STi shifter trim off another member. He never had it installed so I don't think he realized nor did I that we were missing the CNC plastic bottom trim piece that locks in the shift boot. Mike aka old.guy offered to help, but we were stopped short when he realized I'm missing the bottom piece and don't have an STi boot. He recommended that I buy an new or used STi boot. I can't seem to find any boots I searched all last night. The only thing I came up with was the Zero/Sports shift boot, which I cannot afford.

Therefore, my question is there a way of cleanly installing the shift boot on an 2003 WRX while using the existing CNC plastic bottom piece and OEM shift boot? I understand that Mike didn't want to ghetto rig it too much, but I don't have the money for a fancy new shift boot nor could I find the bottom piece for sale.

Would a hot glue gun keep the boot from disconnecting to the bottom trim over time? Thanks.

BTW: I searched this all last night and this morning and the whole installation is vague. It doesn't take in different variables such as stock bottom trim or using a stock boot...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I dont want to state the obvious because I usually do and it makes me look like I ride the short bus.....

However......

If you go to pick n pull or any auto wrecker they can source the whole thing for you probably pretty cheap using thier parts locator......
Old 10-17-2011, 11:17 PM

Car Info: Hybrid
Okay, It's pretty apparent that I will need expertise help with this install! I'm offering $20 and lunch to the person that helps me install the trim. I don't have a dremmel, and could use help getting this on!