Infamous Question (WRX OR STI)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:03 AM

Car Info: 4runner
Infamous Question (WRX OR STI)

Im new to the I-Club Forums! I have a Toyota Xrunner and Always wanted a WRX STi! I am looking at the 2015, and was wondering if it would be worth it to swap, I dont need the Xrunner(truck) so I was thinking it would be nice to have a 4 door car! So I would appreciate your guys opinions as far as maybe keep the Xrunner, and more importantly WRX or STI, and please POST WHY, i dont just cause reasons! Thanks Much Appreciated
Old 05-19-2014, 12:17 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX Wagon
Average Joe would be the one to talk to about this! He's owned an Xrunner and recently bought a 2014 STI.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Overbear's Power Bottom

Welcome! Careful the mods here are complete nimrods. They think they are the **** just cuz they drive AWD subarus. My accounts about to get banned for stupid *** reasons infamously for "making a thread go off topic" haha. Careful what you post because they like making fun of people. And they get very disturbed if you don't use proper grammar or punctuation. Welcome to iclub, your source for troll like comments and people talking **** most of the time. Sadly, I'm being completely serious.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Aloha.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:13 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by sneezerboi
Aloha.
Indeed.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:48 AM

Car Info: rip 02 GGA, 99L SF5
Check out this video on YouTube:

Good info here as for the mod comment... How long have you actually been here? Afaik this use to be a great community before the new gen... Tread lightly friend
Old 05-19-2014, 04:05 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by push2reloaded
Check out this video on YouTube:

Video Link: http://youtu.be/4qz7P9fy9cM

Good info here as for the mod comment... How long have you actually been here? Afaik this use to be a great community before the new gen... Tread lightly friend
Is this the artist formerly known as push2?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:20 AM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru WRX STI
prepare for the mass of bias. depends on what you're doing and what your budget can afford. test drive both, don't let the opinions of others sway you as you in the end will be the one dropping 25-40k on that choice
Old 05-19-2014, 04:27 PM

Car Info: rip 02 GGA, 99L SF5
Originally Posted by sneezerboi
Is this the artist formerly known as push2?
The one and only
Old 05-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
I would say welcome, but looks like you've been here for fairly long now, haha. As for buying either a WRX or STi, I suggest you go and test drive both of them first.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
Hey what's up man, I had a '13 WRX and traded it for an Xrunner. To me this decision will purely come down to whether or not you are a brand wh*re. The two cars seem to have their share of supporters and in the end will you be able to handle being in a WRX when a STi pulls up next to you at the stoplight or will you resent your decision? I loved the WRX but in the end, will all the mods I put into it, it wasn't an STi. Just my point of view, good luck with the decision and heck if it's too tough, just boost the Xrunner!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:41 AM

Car Info: 2013 Impreza WRX
i love my wrx. the only reason i didn't buy an sti was price. i got my wrx for 7 grand below sticker. so to me 14k (no family discount on sti)wasn't worth it for the sti. i can walk all over an sti right now, but I've 11k in mods on my car. if you plan to leave it stock or mostly stock (stage 2). get the sti. its all the car you'll ever need.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:48 PM

Car Info: The Bus, Country Express Fool!
Originally Posted by kboehme
i love my wrx. the only reason i didn't buy an sti was price. i got my wrx for 7 grand below sticker. so to me 14k (no family discount on sti)wasn't worth it for the sti. i can walk all over an sti right now, but I've 11k in mods on my car. if you plan to leave it stock or mostly stock (stage 2). get the sti. its all the car you'll ever need.

Ok so you got your WRX for 14k and put 11k into it and claim you can walk all over an STI. You could have sold your WRX for more than you bought it and took your 11K and actually bought an STI. You might be faster than a stock STI in a straight line, but not in the turns.

If you can afford it get The STI. You won't regret it.

Last edited by Shiba; 05-20-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester XT
I would definitely drive both cars first and really think long and hard about where you see yourself with the car in the next few years. Thinking about what you will be upgrading and see if just going with an STI in the first place would be the better investment. I have a forester xt and don't really have that option but it all depends on if you are just going to drive it or if you are going to be modding it. Also if you are going to be road racing it too. There are just too many factors to list out haha
Old 05-20-2014, 01:27 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by Shiba
Ok so you got your WRX for 14k and put 11k into it and claim you can walk all over an STI. You could have sold your WRX for more than you bought it and took your 11K and actually bought an STI. You might be faster than a stock STI in a straight line, but not in the turns.

If you can afford it get The STI. You won't regret it.
It's not so cut and dry. I almost always beat the STi's I autocross against, and I just have a stage 2 bugeye wagon with Crucial Springs and Koni Inserts, not any stiffer than an STi and definitely less power than the stage 2 STis I race against.

Here are the results from the last autocross, for example. I'm 4th overall, while the 3 STi drivers are nowhere near that fast. Two of the STi drivers are as experienced as I am too.

As for the WRX vs STi debate, it's true that you would spend more buying a WRX and turning it into an STi than you would if you just bought an STi, but if you're on a budget, you can make a WRX a really good car with just a few mods, and still pay WRX insurance rates. I just don't think it makes sense to go further than stage 2 since you'll see dependability go out the window, especially with the WRX 5 Speed.

Quick Reply: Infamous Question (WRX OR STI)