Infamous Question (WRX OR STI)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
Originally Posted by Tren Hard
Welcome! Careful the mods here are complete nimrods. They think they are the **** just cuz they drive AWD subarus. My accounts about to get banned for stupid *** reasons infamously for "making a thread go off topic" haha. Careful what you post because they like making fun of people. And they get very disturbed if you don't use proper grammar or punctuation. Welcome to iclub, your source for troll like comments and people talking **** most of the time. Sadly, I'm being completely serious.
aaaaand, you've done it again. None of this information is relevant to the OP... AND nobody is buying the victim argument.
You sir, are are a twonk.

Carry on.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Tren Hard
Welcome! Careful the mods here are complete nimrods.
No argument there.
They think they are the **** just cuz they drive AWD subarus.
and we lift, do you even lift bro?
My accounts about to get banned for stupid *** reasons,infamously (just completely the wrong word or syntax) for "making a thread go off topic" haha.
Fixed this bit for you as best I could.
Careful what you post because they like making fun of people.
Not true we never do!
And they get very disturbed if you don't use proper grammar or punctuation.
Guilty there again.
Welcome to iclub, your source for troll like comments and people talking **** most of the time.
no need to tell him, he can read your post
I'm Sad.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
Originally Posted by Cody8675309

...I just don't think it makes sense to go further than stage 2 since you'll see dependability go out the window, especially with the WRX 5 Speed.
Just FYI, the new WRX comes with a 6 speed... not the same 6 speed as the STi, but it's a 6 speed.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
I also drive a golf!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by the_truth
Just FYI, the new WRX comes with a 6 speed... not the same 6 speed as the STi, but it's a 6 speed.
I wonder if that's a good thing.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Car Info: '14 Wrx Hatchback
OP, are you planning to modify your wrx or Sti? If so consider buying a 04-06 Sti due to very common engine failure in the 2.5 motors.Even very minor mods can cause a ringland failure or spinning a rod, if I had it to do all over again I would have bought an older Sti or Evo 8/9. Not everyone has these problems but they happen far more often than Subaru owners think,with that said these cars are quite enjoyable
Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by the_truth
Actually I did not know this haha
Old 05-20-2014, 03:49 PM

Car Info: STI 2014
I had a black 2011 xrunner and loved it, it was quick, and the ability to have a truck bed was well worth it. Reason why I changed was for the 4 door and added room also. If more than one person was in your xrunner it was uncomfortable for anyone else in the back. I say well worth the swap if you want the added room, though u will miss having a truck bed. Performance wise, the subaru is more fun to drive and roomier on the inside. Up to you, but I say go for it! Hope this helps. AND! you get a little more gas mileage lmao!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:14 PM

Car Info: 4runner
Thanks guys, Ya I picked Xrunner cause I needed it for work ORIGINALLY but then I got another cheaper truck, SO now i got 2 trucks, and its ok, (I don't hate the Xrunner but i dont see the point in owning 2 trucks so I was Debating on getting a car I always wanted!) I could use more room but I just dont know cause I never owned a AWD and it would be new to me!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
IMO, from what I have read about both, I would get the WRX. Simply because it contains the new generation of boxer motor, which the STi has yet to receive. Next years STi will be the one to get I think, but I'm hopeful they keep building upon the 2.0l platform and ditch the 2.5l.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:26 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I will chime in but I can only relate to older gen like 05-07 styles.

At the time I purchaced my WRX I paid 15k where a similar year sti was 23k.

I have since done a full swap tranny brakes etc. If I had it all to do over again I would have gotten the STI just for the beefier drive train. What I spent to upgrade my wrx put me over where I would have been if I started with an STI to begin with.

Go with the STI all the way.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 PM

Car Info: 2013 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Shiba
Ok so you got your WRX for 14k and put 11k into it and claim you can walk all over an STI. You could have sold your WRX for more than you bought it and took your 11K and actually bought an STI. You might be faster than a stock STI in a straight line, but not in the turns.

If you can afford it get The STI. You won't regret it.
While i understand your point, not all the money i have into the car is performance. Its a great hobby for me. If I really wanted to, I could've bought an M3, but I enjoy this car more than any of my previous cars and trucks.

To the OP, no matter which you buy, you'll love it.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 PM

Car Info: 2009 OBP Subaru WRX 5-Door
I was kinda in the same boat you are in now back in 2009. I always wanted an Impreza either WRX or STI. Ultimately I went with the 09 WRX hatchback. IMO I was sad to see no hatch options in 2015.

What made me make this decision between the two was pretty simple, "Money"

I test drove both and to me at least I felt the WRX was on par with the STI in power and handling. So I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $9K for a $32K STI even though it produced more ponies and had a 6-speed trans.

Never regretted the decision on the WRX.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:47 PM

Car Info: STI 2014
Everyone who has a WRX secretly wants a STI
Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 PM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
I bought the 2015 STI but I haven't driven the WRX yet. But based on what I hear about the WRX, ontop of its new turbo location, is that the torque and boost comes on early from low to midrange then falls flat on its face up top, whereas the STI's powerband is more mid to top end, and more hp too. Handling and brakes, the STI again has more because of the bigger swaybars, "stiffer everything" suspension, Brembo brakes w/bigger master cylinder, quicker 13.0:1 steering ratio, DCCD, beefier 6-speed gearbox, and LSDs which cannot be retrofitted for cheap. The STI interior is a step above previous years and slightly over the WRX's cheap cloth. Outside, besides the wing, the STI gets LED C-lights and HIDs, bigger and better looking wheels, mirror mounted turn signals, fog lights and a million STI badges all around lol. Some of these listed can be had on the WRX if you bought premium or limited versions.

Now for the big picture. Living on Oahu, 0-80mph is the average spirited driving you realistically will do on our roads unless you find your special place where the authorities won't catch you. It also depends how you drive and how much you expect from either car to put a smile on your face. Everyone is different, some want straight line acceleration only, and others like ripping corners, some a little of both. That's your choice.

Now for my reason (and no one can argue because it's my genuine opinion) why I bought the STI was because I've always wanted one, not just from the outside-in, but being in one and blasting through corners without care, on sh*tty Oahu roads lol. I previously built an EJ18 turbo Impreza which could potentially smash stage 2 STIs but it still wasn't enough to fill that void. Also, I did not favor the 2015 WRX's powerband and drivetrain even though it comes with a redesigned engine. The EJ257 has nearly 10+ years of aftermarket support while the WRX is still growing. Until the STI gets a new powerplant (which is most likely in work), I am more than happy with the EJ engine because I am familiar with it. I don't like the WRX's all-cloth interior and prefer leather/alcantara because it feels more mature and I have kids that ruin cloth like crazy. And last, I waited until this year to get one only because I think this was the best one they ever made. I test drove the 2004, as well as the 2009 sedans and they never amused me like the 2015 did. From what I see, this may be the last STI with the EJ engine and this STI is what I think should have come out in 2004. You may disagree but it's my opinion and there better not be any quotes to this last paragraph. Just sharing my two cents...times 20. XD

If you really have a hard time deciding, go out there and test drive them yourself to see which one makes you happy.

Last edited by joejoe69; 05-21-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Infamous Question (WRX OR STI)