Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Help - bad vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:12 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Help - bad vibrations

So I have a few questions about various vibrations and rattles that my car makes as well as a couple non-interior relatied noises and problems. Please let me know if you know how to fix this or can link a thread that explains the fix. The vehicle in question is a 2002 wrx wagon with just under 70k miles.

1. Upon acceleration below 2000 rpm there is a buzzing sound coming from the center console in the HVAC/radio area. I DO have an aftermarket head unit, maybe something was not secured during installation? Any common reasons that cause vibrations in this area?

2. The possible underlying cause of the #1 problem, there is also a noticable vibration/rattle that seems to be coming from the drivetrain under the same conditions (accelerating under 2000 rpm), mainly heard in 3rd/4th gear. Maybe a loose tranny mount or motor mount somewhere? What should I check? I do have a short shifter, but the sound was present before I installed it and does not seem to have changed.

3. Clock panel REFUSES to come out. I can get all of the clips on the sides and back to pop out but the two big plastic ones in the front will not come out no matter how hard I push or pull, I've even taken out the AC panel in front of it and pushed from below. Any tips on how to get it out? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? pictures maybe?

4. When I let off the gas with the car in gear there is a kind of grinding sound. It's not grinding like when you try to shift with the clutch less than completely out, but more like a generally unhappy sound emanating from the transmission. Maybe I just need a tranny fluid change? (not sure when this was last done, only had the car for ~5k miles)

5. When I roll down the driver side window it squeaks. It seems like something rubbing on the glass. Any tips on this one?

6. My head unit is acting up and I generally don't really like it very much. Recently it has been randomly getting disconnected from the power supply, I think due to a crappy installation job. I NEED iphone/ipod connectability (AUX in or USB) and for it to bed RED or not glow at all. It would be nice if it also hooked up to the stock am/fm radio, played CD's, and satellite radio since I have the antenna wired in as well but I don't use it. Maybe you audio gurus can let me know what brand/model to look into? something cheap.

7. When the car is idling the headlights will periodically dim slightly and the engine will rev up to 1000 (usual idle is ~750 rpm) for a few seconds before returning to normal. This happens every 30 seconds to 1 minute, seems to happen less often after driving for 10 minutes or so. New battery? New alternator? Something else? Seems like adjusting my idle speed up about 100 to 200 rpm would solve the problem but I can't figure out how to do that.

8. Very quiet belt squeal, only audible from inside the car and only when standing still. Comes and goes somewhat at random, more often present in colder weather. The sound doesn't seem to speed up/slow down with engine revs, and happens whether AC is on or off. Goes away after 10-15 seconds on average.

9. Grinding sound that is DEFINITELY connected to wheel rotation speed. Possibly brake pads grinding on the rotors, however it doesn't get any quieter or louder when I step on the brakes. The rotors on the left side (both front and rear) have a long score mark in them all the way around, but are completely smooth otherwise. The brakes don't shudder or pull the car in either direction under hard braking. New pads and milled rotors on all corners less than 3k miles ago. Is this anything to worry about? Maybe it's something completely not brake related? Maybe the sound is coming from somewhere else? What should I do to try to find the source of the sound?

I know that's a lot of questions, but each of these little issues drives me nuts! If you can help me out, thanks a ton. If you need more information or pictures or something, let me know!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 2006 AW STi
That buzz could be coming from poor installation of your head unit, loose screw(s) or rca connection buzzing off metal brackets.

Buzzing is not coming through your speakers? If so maybe poor ground or exposed wires touching.

My 2¢

Last edited by ciRe_oNe; 01-23-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 PM

No, the sound is definitely not coming through the speakers. Thank god, electrical noise drives me nuts worse than any of this stuff.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Do you have stiffer engine and trans mounts? I installed the group-n engine and trans mounts, and along with my flywheel which probably needs to be resurfaced, I get terrible vibration below 2k rpm. I really notice it because the needle on my mechanical boost gauge goes crazy until I hit 2k. As far as the grinding goes, I've had that same problem for the last 2 clutch changes. My best guess is the crappy release bearings that come with clutch kits. Do you hear a rattling when your stopped and the clutch out in neutral? If so, the rattle and grinding is certainly your release bearing.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:45 PM

Theres no rattle at a standstill, either in or out of gear. And I have stock engine/tranny mounts. Maybe they need to be torqued down?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
No, that wouldn't cause grinding. Mine just recently started to rattle(last couple of months), just the grinding has been there longer. I think mine rattles because it really bad. The grinding on decel really sounds like the release bearing though, just not bad enough to rattle. I could be totally wrong, but this was a problem for me with my last clutch as well as my current clutch. Maybe poor work, parts, or combination of both.