Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Bad vibrations when braking!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX TR
Bad vibrations when braking!!

Hey guys,
When i'm going speeds above 30mph, especially when exiting the freeway around 65-70mph and apply the brakes the steering wheel, chassis of the car, and the brake pedal vibrate and shake like crazy! It feels like the car is going to fall apart!! Its kinda embarrassing.
I know this problem sounds like its a warped rotor or bad break pads, but i checked all 4 corners for brakes. The Pads have a lot of meat and the rotors are smooth. So my guess is that its not coming from the brakes.
What are your guys experience when it comes to these symptoms?

BTW its a 07 WRX
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
Originally Posted by TwentyAte
Hey guys,
When i'm going speeds above 30mph, especially when exiting the freeway around 65-70mph and apply the brakes the steering wheel, chassis of the car, and the brake pedal vibrate and shake like crazy! It feels like the car is going to fall apart!! Its kinda embarrassing.
I know this problem sounds like its a warped rotor or bad break pads, but i checked all 4 corners for brakes. The Pads have a lot of meat and the rotors are smooth. So my guess is that its not coming from the brakes.
What are your guys experience when it comes to these symptoms?

BTW its a 07 WRX
Even if your rotors are smooth, the rotor could be warped from the factory sounds impossible but we have seen it before.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 PM

Could any other moving part on the car generate this type of symptom? Or should i just go ahead a replace the brakes?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:41 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Smooth does not mean anything. If you are using yoru eyeball to measure that, I am going with warped rotors. The other option is control arm bushings. But I am 99% on the rotors.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Do you guys recommend any rotor/pad replacements?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 AM

Autozone sells front rotors for $94ea!! Thats crazy. When i can buy a pair of slotted and drilled for $209.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Replace the pads and rotors with quality components.
DO NOT turn the rotors.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:49 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
DO NOT turn the rotors.
agreed!!!

VAto Zone does not have quality parts 99% of the time.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Lightbulb StopTech stage2 brake kit

I had the same symptoms when i bought the car. Best thing i ever did for my brakes was do the stoptech stage 2 kit.

Rotors:
I kept the stock size rotor. The rotors are "powerslot"(fancy name for slotted)

Lines:
The brake lines are not only steel braided but also sleeved so they dont corrode and/or snag on anything. The stock hoses are rubber and can flex. The stoptech lines give a better pedal feel/response.

Pads:
The pads perform well and are quiet.

Fluid:
Stoptech blend claims to have a higher boil point and other goodies.

Make sure to clean your calipers really well or replace them if they are lazy. Bleed brakes while you are at it. That will naturally be taken care of if you do get new lines such as the ones I mentioned.
PowerSlot slotted rotors or StopTech's SportStop drilled or drilled/slotted rotors , StopTech stainless steel brake lines, and street performance pads. Rotors, lines and pads are for both front and rear. Components can also be purchased separately. FITS STOCK CALIPERS.
Benefits:

Slotted or drilled rotors prevent glazing of the pads, add bite and improve wet and dry braking performance. PowerSlot Slotted and StopTech's SportStop rotors have a durable black coating on the non-swept areas of the rotor to prevent unsightly corrosion. Stainless steel brake lines improve pedal feel and reduce the amount of time between applied pedal pressure and actual deceleration by preventing expansion, which stock rubber flex lines allow. High performance street pads provide you with higher resistance to fade, higher maximum operating temperature, and better initial bite to allow consistent deep braking into corners. Good for street and autocross. Not for extended track sessions.

For extended track sessions, or if you are running out of heat capacity with your current stock sized upgrade and/or having to replace pads and rotors often, you may want to consider investing in the added heat capacity that a Big Brake Kit offers.

Last edited by johndabrit; 06-03-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: cleaned up a bit
Old 06-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you recommend a good retailer for the stoptech products? Or online store?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Depends. Are you doing the install yourself or having a shop do it? If it's yourself, ive found best prices at import image racing. Customer service isn't the best but prices are. If it's a shop that will be installing, just order through them. Prices may be a bit higher but the shop will be responsible to make sure everything goes well.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Car Info: Wrb bugeye
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
DO NOT turn the rotors.
why not turn the rotors?
I understand if they're drilled/slotted, but whats the problem with turning stock ones for daily driving?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 AM

I took your recommendation and purchased the Stage 2 kit from stoptech from LIC Motorsports yesterday. It was quite a haul to get there, took me about an hour. But Noah was cool and gave me a good price on the whole setup. I installed it last night, and it did fix all of my problems and i have amazing brakes now!
Thanks for your help! I will post some pics later today.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:51 AM

More to come.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 AM

Name:  c49b8b07.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  57.2 KB

Quick Reply: Bad vibrations when braking!!