Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Brake light fell off my '01 RS Coupe spoiler.. Double-stick tape or epoxy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Brake light fell off my '01 RS Coupe spoiler.. Double-stick tape or epoxy?

The three flimsy plastic tabs that hold the brake light onto the RS coupe spoiler broke when I shut my trunk pretty hard over the weekend, and the light fell out. A new one is $167 from SubaruParts so I was going to try to double-stick tape it on. I know this stuff works for a lot of other apps like body kits, emblems and such. Can anyone recommend a specific brand of double-stick foam pads or tape or epoxy they have used to good success?

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 01-12-2005, 04:38 PM

Car Info: '04 JBP STi
3M has a brand you can check out at your Local car parts store like NAPA. if you have that in CA....idk. The tape is foam, its grey, and it has a red plastic strip that protects the sticky side. Your welcome, have a nice day
Old 01-12-2005, 04:55 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RAGEWRX
3M has a brand you can check out at your Local car parts store like NAPA. if you have that in CA....idk. The tape is foam, its grey, and it has a red plastic strip that protects the sticky side. Your welcome, have a nice day
Thanks. I was gonna check out those 3M double-stick foam pads. Probably the same stuff.

-Jacob
Old 01-13-2005, 11:20 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
The double sticky foam pads that are white with green/white checkered-style protective sheets are NOT the same as the grey ones with the red strip. I've used both the white ones and the grey ones, and the white ones are definately better holding, albeit they are slightly thicker. The grey ones are very compact and thin, but the adhesive on them don't hold as well. I've used them to help the bottom part of my syms grille on my car stick (as well as other diy hackjobs) and the white ones have yet to dissapoint. The grey ones fell apart or lost adhesion after awhile.

You can buy a whole roll of the white pads at office depot or office max, Its called Scotch heavy duty mounting tape. Or mounting tape, and then it says heavy duty elsewhere. The stuff i have can hold up to 2lbs. They also come in those 1x1 inch squares that come in packs of 12 i think.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:11 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Seraph
The double sticky foam pads that are white with green/white checkered-style protective sheets are NOT the same as the grey ones with the red strip. I've used both the white ones and the grey ones, and the white ones are definately better holding, albeit they are slightly thicker. The grey ones are very compact and thin, but the adhesive on them don't hold as well. I've used them to help the bottom part of my syms grille on my car stick (as well as other diy hackjobs) and the white ones have yet to dissapoint. The grey ones fell apart or lost adhesion after awhile.

You can buy a whole roll of the white pads at office depot or office max, Its called Scotch heavy duty mounting tape. Or mounting tape, and then it says heavy duty elsewhere. The stuff i have can hold up to 2lbs. They also come in those 1x1 inch squares that come in packs of 12 i think.
Weird.. I went back to Orchard where I got the white pads before to attach my badge as well as my x-overs. I noticed this roll of 3M grey foam tape with the red strip on it like RAGEWRX mentioned. It was labelled as 'heavy duty' with a 5lb load instead of the 2lb load like the green/white household ones. Oh well - hope I have better luck with it. I really don't want this to fall off. I used silicone and foam tape, and put zip ties around a towel to help it set up better. We'll see I guess.

-Jacob