How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them.

problems installing crank pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 1995 Legacy L wgn & 1995 Legacy Brighton wgn
problems installing crank pulley?

is there a special trick to installing the crank pulley that i'm not aware of? i've tried to line up the notch on the crank with the one on the pulley, and it won't fit for some reason. the only way i can get the pulley to seat on the crank is if the notch on the pulley is directly opposite the position where the notch on the crank is, and i know that's not right. if i try to seat the pulley in any other position, it won't go.

so when i do have the pulley seated, it always leans in when i torque it down, and that just creates all kinds of problems. so assuming that i actually have the right crank pulley (this is the one that came on the engine, i'm trying to finish up a timing belt swap), is there a step that i'm missing to get this darn thing on? car is a '95 Legacy with the 2.2 SOHC.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Car Info: bici putas
I really really hope you didn't torque on the bolt when the pulley wasn't seating right.

The crank pulley isn't press fit, and should slip onto the crank smoothly and not move thereafter. The pulley shouldn't move when torquing the bolt to spec.

It sounds to me like you buggered the keyway notch. Or the woodruff key is on the opposite side of the notch and therefore tilts the pulley when you tighten the bolt up.

Use some emerycloth and lightly clean up the mating surfaces, get the crank positioned so that the key is at 12 o'clock. Place the pulley completely perpendicular to the crank, and slide it on. Nothing more is needed.

Goodluck!