Removing Crank Pulley!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Removing Crank Pulley!

Anyone know how to do this? What tools did you use? Did you remove the radiator? Can give me some tips!

Jon
Old 12-29-2002, 10:53 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
" PART TWO: VISHNU UNDERDRIVE PULLEY

Before removing the underdrive pulley, you will need to loosen and remove the two drive belts. First, whip out that 10 mm wrench and remove the plastic belt cover. Next, loosen the tensioners (using all 12 mm bolts and nuts). Start by looking at the pulley that is located towards the driver’s side of the car at the same height at the crankshaft pulley. Slightly loosen the bolt that goes into that pulley. Then loosen the other two bolts in that bracket/arm. Then, the long bolt that is parallel to that bracket/arm is loosened. As you loosen it, the pulley should move up and release tension on that belt.

Next, between the AC and the Alternator, somewhat right above the pulley you just loosened, is a bolt that forms the pivot point for the alternator. Loosen that rather large 14 mm bolt. Now the alternator can pivot. So, look for another long, vertical bolt to the right side of the car from the pulley. This one has a bolt (12 mm) holding it clamped in place. Loosen that bolt (should be about half way down the long bolt). Then loosen the long bolt. If the alternator does not drop down slowly, then loosen the pivot point a little more. Push down on the alternator if you need to.

Once the belts are loose enough, remove them completely. Put the car in 4th or 5th gear and have someone step on the brake pedal (if you’re alone, use the handbrake and pull it pretty darn tight but make sure not to roll the car off the jacks!). This will keep the engine from rotating during the next step. With the big 22 mm (7/8th inch) socket (and an even bigger breaker bar), loosen (turn counter-clockwise) the bolt that secures the stock pulley to the front of the engine. It is torqued on tightly, so it will require some moderately heavy yanking. Just be careful not to hurt yourself or your fenders when doing this.

Once cracked loose, the bolt can be unscrewed by finger. With the bolt removed, pull or wiggle the stock pulley off and remove it from the car. Then install your Vishnu pulley on the crankshaft and tighten the bolt to 96 ft-lbs. If you do not have a torque wrench, with a 1.5 foot torque arm, this is pretty tight, but not hernia-inducing tight. Slip the supplied, shorter-than-stock belts onto the pulleys. Use the 4-rib belt in back and the 5-rib belt in front. The front belt is tough to get on (the next available size up is too large) so take your time. Make sure the alternator is all the way down – it is pivoted as far as it will go. Then, wrap the belt around the two larger pulleys first and "work" the belt on the alternator pulley. If you get it started on the top side, then rotating the engine (with the breaker bar and NOT by running the engine!!, and of course, you'll have to take the transmission out of gear in order for the engine to rotate freely) may help pull the belt on. Once you have the belts on, tighten the long bolts first to tension the belts. Make them about as tight as they will go with reasonable effort. They will loosen slightly during the first few hundred miles. They should be taut, but they should have some play in them. After getting the long bolts, tighten all the rest of the bolts you loosened and reinstall the plastic cover."

Is this what your talking about? If not try the MRT web site.

Last edited by Mach5WRX; 12-29-2002 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:04 PM

Thanks DAN!

dammit... I have an auto trans... I cannot lock up the engine like a manual transmission...

I will look at MRT. thanks again

Jon

Last edited by iNfEk; 12-29-2002 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:52 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Why did you get a Autocrapic?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:21 AM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
pop off the timing belt cover on the drivers side. there should be about 3 10mm bolts holding it on. Under that you'll see a camshaft gear. You can try holding the engine still with that. Be carefull not to loosen the bolt on the cam without retorquing it. Also take care not to damage the timing belt.

You could also try loosening the crankshaft bolt before loosening the alternator and power steering belts. Then you can use a wrench on the alternator pulley to keep the engine from turning over. If you do this, just break it free, don't try to take it off.

Using one of these techniques you should be able to get this done pretty easily.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:00 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
You could always get an impact gun to whack it off....
Old 12-30-2002, 07:03 PM

Thanks guys.

Taking an impact gun to it is an option that we had thought about last night and is our last option seeing as how i will have to remove radiator hoses and fans... etc.

thank you for the suggestion though.

I will also try loosening the crankshaft bolt before removing the belts that's something i never thought of.

Jon
Old 12-30-2002, 07:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Originally posted by teiva-boy
You could always get an impact gun to whack it off....
That seems a bit extreme if you ask me. I prefer petroleum jelly. But if S&M is what you're into... GO BABY!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 07:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Man, long time ago. Autocrapic? Ha ha ha! I just did my PS and Crank pulley in a few minutes, but I can't get the alternator pulley to come off. Any ideas? A strap wrench can't hold the pully so I am dumbfounded.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:40 AM

see! i told you...

sorry dude... I wouldn't be able to help you on that. if you do have a center nut for the pulley you're trying to remove then I'd suggest an impact gun

Jon
Old 04-22-2005, 11:18 AM
VIP Member

It'll just spin. I got the crank pulley with 0 problems and the power steering pully with just 1. The alternator is stumping me though. Did you feel any difference when you did your? I feel 0 difference.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:42 AM

actually the car felt like it had NO power what so ever since it's an auto.

in a manual car you should feel some difference.

the reason why you shouldn't do this on a auto is because you can and probably will throw off the harmonic balance.

Jon
Old 04-22-2005, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Our cars do not have harmonic balancers.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by keirnna
Our cars do not have harmonic balancers.
ok... I stand corrected...

However when installing my pulley. the car felt like it had ABSOLUTELY NO POWER and actually got more sluggish. i tracked it and I got slower!

Jon

- damn this is a really old thread! definately brought from the dead... 3 years old

Last edited by iNfEk; 04-22-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

My car feels the same way. I may remove the pulley if it doesn't get any better. I am not for sure it felt slower, but it sure felt like it didn't rev as fast. I was expecting the oppisite because everyone told me the car would rev faster.

Quick Reply: Removing Crank Pulley!