Removing Crank Pulley!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
yeah on a manual car it would rev faster since there is no addition weight on it due to the transmission. however on the auto that is not the case. I ended up taking it off in 2~3 days time since i couldn't handle the car being the way it was.

it felt so sluggish and no power not even when my turbo kicked in.

that is why I said what I said about the harmonic balance even though you said that our cars (and I think you're right on that one) has no harmonic balancer. but if there is a balance in load from the front to rear of the crank shaft due to the weight of the auto trans and the weight of the crank pulley.

Jon
Old 04-22-2005, 01:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Yeah, I think I'll leave it since I should complete my swap in less than a month. My Injen intake on my RS is a monster. The car pulls better, and sounds very very mean. I never knew that an intake could sound the way this one does.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 02 RS
i remember a way back i read something about jaming a screwdriver into something to hold it while you use a braker bar to get of the nut. people were using that technique for the autos but i didn't pay attention since i went the MT route. it was back in the nabisco days. try searching over there in the transmission section. it was in there like 3 years ago when i read it. hope that hopes. i'll try and look for it later.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:29 PM
VIP Member

Yeah I looked. That is what I read, but I don't know where to stick the screw driver. The guy I bought it off of told me that. I am going to look to see if I can figure it out later today.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:44 PM

okay i did a quick search during my lunch break. there is a rubber plug on the top of the engine right below the throttle body which gains you access to the flywheel. this was for a legacy but it was a similar idea.

"If it's an auto, find the flexplate access hole (under the throttle body, it's covered by a rubber/plastic plug) and jam a beefy screwdriver in there. When you go to bust the crank bolt loose, use a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 7/8" socket. I can't remember what the correct metric size is for that bolt, but I've always used a 7/8" 12-point with no rounding off. If it's a manual, stick it in gear with the parking brake on and use the tranny to keep the crank from moving!"

here is someone talking about it for an impreza

"I managed to find someone that has successfully done this without using the starter to break the pulley free, or using a belt to hold the pulley when installing the new one. I was a bit surprised to find that the torque converter is actually exposed through a hole in the underside of the block, just behind the oil pan. What I was told is that one can use a screwdriver, jamming it in (not sure of the specifics - will have to look) to hold the torque converter in place, and then you can torque away on the crank with no problem."

i forgot about the starter trick by cranking the engine over. i was planning on doing that but was too scared of seeing a breaker bar flying through my garage.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ey+screwdriver

another note to get the pulley of the shaft i had to whack mine a few times in different angles with a rubber mallet since i didn't have a pulley puller.

good luck.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally Posted by brento
i remember a way back i read something about jaming a screwdriver into something to hold it while you use a braker bar to get of the nut. people were using that technique for the autos but i didn't pay attention since i went the MT route. it was back in the nabisco days. try searching over there in the transmission section. it was in there like 3 years ago when i read it. hope that hopes. i'll try and look for it later.
Brent. I am hoping that I don't come off as an ***, but speaking from experience, this is how we took a few teeth off of my cam gear.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by gpatmac
Brent. I am hoping that I don't come off as an ***, but speaking from experience, this is how we took a few teeth off of my cam gear.
never said it was a good way but an option. i know that methods are dangerous and risky and i wouldn't do it. i'd spend the extra 30-45 minutes for removal/re-installation of the radiator instead.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

Well Brent, you missed the point. I got the crank pulley off in about 5 minutes. It was easy. The PS steering pulley wasn't that hard either. It is the alternator pulley I can't get off. All you have to do to get the crank pulley off is to unlug your spark plug wires and then let the car crank over. It trys to turn the breaker bar to the right so just be ready for it. It almost pulled my arm out of socket, but it works.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:16 AM

wooh i'm so in the in the past sorry got confused esp with the title of the thread. never noticed this thread was from over two years ago. got lost with the dates. but yeah people were also using screwdrivers for the alternator. nate just buy an impact wrench. with the things you do your car it will come in handy.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ver+alternator

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ver+alternator

Last edited by brento; 04-24-2005 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

I'll eventually pick up some airtools, but I don't have the cash to right now. Thanks for the links. I'll be removing my crank pulley today because it is being a complete *****.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:48 PM

Location: Houston, Texas "Drive it like you stole it.." 13.034 @ 105.19 mph
Car Info: Aspen White 04 STI, Silver 03 RS (wife's car)
Originally Posted by keirnna
It almost pulled my arm out of socket, but it works.

Jesus Nate be careful man, P.S. YOU GOT PM thanx.