Vehicle Shipping Hawaii to Mainland - Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:24 AM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
Vehicle Shipping Hawaii to Mainland - Tips?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to cover my bases - For anyone who's shipped Mainland>HI or HI>Mainland - any tips you can impart for shipping?

I'm shipping my STI to CA soon and I'm concerned about it's safety as it's my first time shipping a car. I know the 1/4 tank of fuel rule, plus no personal effects allowed in the car as I'm told (essentially if it's not bolted down, don't leave it in the car). I honestly have very little faith in shipping based on the stories I've heard, I hope it's not as bad as I hear about...

Also concerned with the reverse lockout lever. A valet once had no idea how to back my car up, I have little faith in shippers just smashing it into gear...

Also thought of using RoadWraps or something similar for paint protection. Perhaps blue tape at all corners at the least, maybe some on the wheels?

For the interior, I was thinking to hit up walmart's scrap cloth section to get some cheap cloth to wrap the rear seats, maybe some tasteless seatcovers, maybe wrap/cover the dash?

As for motor, I ordered a cobb for the valet map but I don't think it's going to make it in time (backorder w/cobb); if I find a way to borrow a tactrix and Open Source it temporarily and undo it with the cobb later? I read an older thread in our forum about bypassing the boost controller - I feel like I should consider something like this...

Any tips on who to use or avoid? I'd like to go with enclosed containers (i smelled a car that came in from CA on an open container and it smelled like they pulled it from the bottom of a lake..)

I've heard of Matson, Pasha and DAS for shipping, quotes are all around the same price as I hear, uShip and Movecars.com have a few suggestions as well it seems. Anyone know if PODS allows cars in their large containers?

whew.. I'm not thrilled about the idea of shipping the car, but I don't think selling and buying another is on my radar yet unless someone's interested
Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
document EVERY blemish as they will pay for repairs of any new ones. Maybe a post-it note stating the reverse lockout or a bright pink zip tie.

Other companies

Budget auto shipping
Hawaii Car transport.

Last edited by PSBeachBum; 08-19-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:44 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
use pasha
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Originally Posted by houdni
use pasha
I'm with houdni on this one. Pasha I believe sets a higher quality of standards with shipping vehicles. I've used them three times now, and not an issue. The race bike doesn't count because it was in a 10x10 container and plastic/shock wrapped to hell and back.

The 2 cars however, 1 going to L.A. and the other coming in from San Fran were excellent!

For a really crazy fee, they will put it in a container if you are **** and have the $$$. Can't remember the price but I can try to find the quote in my email for that.

Best of luck!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
+1 for Pasha. Also, give the car a good coat of wax (even on windows) before you hand it over. Sea salt sucks on naked paint. I'd also put a coating of some kind of conditioner on your black trim pieces.

I'd also note the mileage when you drop it off and question it if there are is an abnormal addition of miles when you take delivery.

I'm with others with the thorough documentation and perhaps photos of every detail of the car.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:11 PM

@PS - yup, plan to take my camera along to do photo and video. I thought about the post-it. figured I'll wrap the radio column to keep it protected and put the note there as well as a tag on the lever itself.

@houdini & @sigterm - thanks for the tip on Pasha, I'll give them a call for a quote today. I used a free blanket email service to forwarders last night and all the quotes I got were between 1300-1700. I have to ship the bike too but don't think it needs a crate (unless pasha requires? I've heard of roll on/off services which I'd probably do, that's unless I can put it in a container and ship it like that - I also heard if I crate my bike I can load the crate with whatever I want as long as it's below the max weight?

@Sneezer - I need to plan for a paid detail (anyone suggest someone? or use those groupons for HI-Line or similar?) since the car has to be clean anyway and I'm not sure I'll have the time to do it myself. Def a wax and good tip on protecting trim, I have to see what pasha says about taping up the car after the inspection is complete. Also good tip on odo, I'll take a pic and ask what their expected mileage would be if they're loading/unloading port to port.

I just wish there was a way to gimp the ecu from going over 3k + 0psi boost. at the least I'll leave it in I mode and pull the selector plug lol
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP STi
heres a tip, dont leave!

with seriousness aside... <- see what i did there? when i shipped my car here, they wrapped the seats and took the floor mats and put them in a box in my trunk that had other loose items (ash tray, outlet cover, etc). that also had my tools in there which was only supposed to be a $200 value. i had more in there but if it gets "lost" they wont cover the difference. it took a good 20 minutes to do a walk around with the guy, but i have alot being its an 2005. you already know the 1/4 rule, but i made that mistake by having 3/8. $20 plus the loss of some gas later i was at 1/4. like josh said, definitely give it a good wax. i know youre probly not one to have a dirty car either, but ive seen some people get rejected for the interior being too dirty... hopefully this helps!
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 PM

Car Info: 2008 Impreza STI, 2005 Forester XT
Originally Posted by tesh
@PS - yup, plan to take my camera along to do photo and video. I thought about the post-it. figured I'll wrap the radio column to keep it protected and put the note there as well as a tag on the lever itself.

@houdini & @sigterm - thanks for the tip on Pasha, I'll give them a call for a quote today. I used a free blanket email service to forwarders last night and all the quotes I got were between 1300-1700. I have to ship the bike too but don't think it needs a crate (unless pasha requires? I've heard of roll on/off services which I'd probably do, that's unless I can put it in a container and ship it like that - I also heard if I crate my bike I can load the crate with whatever I want as long as it's below the max weight?

@Sneezer - I need to plan for a paid detail (anyone suggest someone? or use those groupons for HI-Line or similar?) since the car has to be clean anyway and I'm not sure I'll have the time to do it myself. Def a wax and good tip on protecting trim, I have to see what pasha says about taping up the car after the inspection is complete. Also good tip on odo, I'll take a pic and ask what their expected mileage would be if they're loading/unloading port to port.

I just wish there was a way to gimp the ecu from going over 3k + 0psi boost. at the least I'll leave it in I mode and pull the selector plug lol
lol You could always induce limp mode that way they wont be able to switch it period.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
I have done hi-line multiple times. Usually booked for a hot minute. Pretty decent job.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 AM

@Jaren - yeah man, the way work things changed I had to make a move, sucks but cest la vie; good tip on how they wrap the car up, I'll check with them about if I wrap the seats myself vs them doing it (I figure I'll end up taking the car for inspection, then wrap it there in front of them)

@PS - I'll take a look at their groupon again then, my car needs a wash, needs some detailing tlc since I havent had a chance to rinse it in the last month

@Solha - lol i wonder if there's a safe way to do that
Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Horizon is also good. they put all cars into a container. cost is 1100 to west coast.

pasha is also good cant go wrong

agreed with josh protect your car!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 PM

Thanks ****!

From quotes I got (for other's reference as well)

Pasha is 1100, (inside hull parking)
Matson is 950 (supposedly parked inside the hull as well)

Also anyone have tips on sending home goods? I'm boxing as I go, tempted to go with a Uhaul U-Box or Pods container, found an LCL shipper as a backup as well,then there's always parcel post too