Travis Pastrana's Rally Show Car Survey

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP WRX Wagon & SGM 2.5i wagon
Alright this is posted on every forum I am registered on so it looks like this has a real chance to happen. When Anthony gets back in town (1-2 months) hopefully we will hear from him and start with things! On behalf of Bpang I will ask if they are bringing out the crap car or good one

If you want drivers I guess put it in the e-mail and maybe it will happen? My guess would be it depends on what kind of support this gets.

BPang sorry for the confusion, We are organizing NASA Rallycross and trying to get Kalaeloa Raceway Park going... nothing to do directly with HIIC.

Last edited by eRicaSWGN; 06-26-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
You know what would be an amazing success here in Hawaii?

Two things:

1) Motorsports Day at the Aloha Stadium.
The guys who organize build the track can help since they have quite the resources. Basically, reserve the stadium and outside parking lot for a car show / parts swap meet / motorsports show. Show the public the benefits of such things like Auto-X and drag racing. Have your ordinary person drive a course in the Auto-X. Your grandmother doing Auto-X? Yes, she can do it there. Bring autodealers here in Hawaii to peddle their new cars and allow a few of their cars to be 1/4'ed and/or autocross. There's always new technology in cars to improve safety, have the companies demo it there, ie city safety. Just the spark the dealers need to get some cars rolling off their lots.

Cap off the night off with Ken Block and others in a Gymkhana battle/exhibit.

Badass isn't it?

2) First Hawaiian Bank Motor Trend Auto Show
This is held in March, shopping isn't too busy at March. They also hold it at the exhibition center. Well guess what? You can see the cars there, and then there will be Auto-X courses, and gymkhana demostration across the street at Ala Moana. Close a large portion of the parking structure and let them go wild. I would definitely pay to see gymkhana done at Ala Moana. ****, make a ramp go into the food court, let him dance around it, then inside the middle side etc. Go buck crazy!

Kick it up a notch, call BBC let them do a segment on Top Gear to film and talk about gymkhana and show Ken Block go nuts on then as Stig. Imagine the Top Gear's cameramen/editors go nuts in Hawaii's scenery.

Oh yes.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:19 PM

I know one of the problems is there are only a handful of people willing to help and all of the organization falls on Mike who is busy as heck with dealing with DHHL and others right now...

I'm sure if enough people were willing to help and the insurance / price to get gymkahana wasn't absurd they would consider something like this. I don't know what the permits would allow for over there. I'm guessing if they are not doing drag racing there already it is for a reason.
Try posting on Hawaii Talks since Mike, Chris & Tom tend to hang out on there.

I should add I think other motorsports get offended when they are left out of things so it is really hard to get the groups to work together here... the dirt guys are a BIG part of the new track..

If there is a huge move to get gymkahana out here I would be more than willing to help, but it takes a lot of people and $$ to do something like that.

Last edited by eRicaSWGN; 06-26-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 1993 RX-7/2002 Subaru WRX
Sounds interesting...We do have the resources to set this off right. But this is no small feat...and certainly something that would take some serious work.

But...I would honestly like to wait till after the 1st to make a decision on this, as we might have some really positive news to share after then. If things don't get delayed again.

My contact email is chairman@buildthetrack.com and my personal cell is 782-7432. We can talk about it, and I think Erica and her team would fit this puzzle quite well considering everything if they were interested. As far as getting spaces to hold events in, that's quite a task in and of itself. Planning is everything, and getting the cards in place will take at least a year, I'd say. Unless of course, you own the land you'd be doing it on.

Last edited by ArchangelX; 06-26-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 1969 subaru sumbar van 360
i am sorry you had a bad experiance before in your life but remember this is all for fun
its not to say we are here to blow your doors off with a full race prepped car and have the drivers take you for a personal ride along

because if i could i would

remember this is a race car that is used is several events but remember that each race requires a different car to be prepped for that race

we will have a real race car for you and if we are lucky maybe even a driver
but for now lets concentrate on just trying to get something going for you in hawaii

maybe this will spark the interest of other vendors and dealers to help get you a kick start to what you really want
to start racing and getting a place to do it again

that is what this is all about
just trying to help you and have fun doing it

Mahalo

Originally Posted by bpang1
Well the dealership that paid for them to bring the car and the trailer closed down. Apparently, there were different levels of "showness" they could buy and they opted not to pay for Pastrana to come with the car.

I guess my big letdown was they were talking about it being an awesome rally car and what not...then when we come up to it, it's basically a stock WRX with enough mods to make it look like the rally car unless you actually looked hard or were able to get underneath. The big thing was they were hyping it so hard and then when the day came the biggest fun part of the day was eating at McDonalds. But you know what, maybe they've changed things and will bring a legit car!

Oh and I know ALL ABOUT organizing things for HIIC.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
boOm's idea is pretty awesome. i'd be into whatever happens though.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 PM

erica and booms why dont you email me the facts on what you have and what you are working on
maybe we can help in some other way to get you going as well

i dont know maybe even one of the drivers to speak about racing and what it could bring to the state in money and interest?

remember if you build it they will come

it 's better than a sharp stick in the eye?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 1993 RX-7/2002 Subaru WRX
Oh, and by the way, I'm Mike. LOL.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 PM

You are so awesome Anthony.

I know Mike is really interested as well. Boom, you wanna help out before we drag you along?

Anthony, when are leaving for vacation? So we know when to get a plan to you by..

Last edited by eRicaSWGN; 06-26-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 PM

I certainly don't mind helping out getting things done that would be awesome for the motorsports community as a whole here in Hawaii. I'm always full of ideas. The reality is, time wise I work 3 jobs, and makes it almost impossible to go to anything related to motorsports anymore. I can't even make I-Club meets! The only part of the week I have time off are Thursday nights.

If there is anything I can do with my resources I can definitely help.

John
Old 06-26-2009, 10:25 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
sounds like fun ^^d
Old 06-26-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by bigdog
erica and booms why dont you email me the facts on what you have and what you are working on
maybe we can help in some other way to get you going as well

i dont know maybe even one of the drivers to speak about racing and what it could bring to the state in money and interest?

remember if you build it they will come

it 's better than a sharp stick in the eye?
My ideas always been just simply ideas. I actually just thought those two ideas up after I did the can you bring Ken Block post. While they are big ideas, I think it is doable, but imagine getting the support of alot of dealerships/businesses in Hawaii right now. This economic condition makes them penny pinch every single expense.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
funny this came up because we just attended an event like this one in canada when we were there. Subaru of Calgary (a local dealer), brought in Patrick Richard's rally car as seen on the first part of the rally video that i posted in the other thread. this event was held just days before the Canada Rally Championship. they served hotdogs, burgers, and drinks (hint), and was very well organized. there were a lot of nice suby giveaways and prizes. there is also a Show and Shine mini car show for suby owners. i was also impressed by the huge turnout of suby fans considering this was a Thursday night...but then again rally is big there. and yes, it was a real rally car...here are some pics:

Name:  PIC5.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  190.7 KB
Name:  PIC10.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  214.2 KB
Name:  PIC7.jpg
Size:  175.0 KB
Name:  PIC4.jpg
Size:  108.2 KB
Name:  PIC9.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  194.4 KB

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 06-26-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
^^^That's more like it...that's DEFINITELY NOT what the Subaru America team brought.

Like I wrote earlier, who knows, maybe they will bring a legit car. I would just be very careful in your guys' negotiations with the team that they bring a legit rally car and not what they brought to Cincy a year or two ago.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:51 AM

I will be out from June 30-Aug 30
you can send me info to my email
i will be looking while on vacation
that is a bad habit i have of still working on vacation

Originally Posted by eRicaSWGN
You are so awesome Anthony.

I know Mike is really interested as well. Boom, you wanna help out before we drag you along?

Anthony, when are leaving for vacation? So we know when to get a plan to you by..

Quick Reply: Travis Pastrana's Rally Show Car Survey