Reid's Recon/ Safety Check Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:22 PM

Car Info: VW R32 02 WRX
This is what I would suggest.
Form a civilians group, contact people on the board Ex: Kymberly Pine, Try to get support from the DOT and HPD as was done with the repeal.
Just in my honest opinion I do not think anything is going to happen without the support of at least the DOT.

I would also find an automotive "expert" to prove/disprove any points that you try to make.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:25 PM

Car Info: VW R32 02 WRX
Originally Posted by dub81
Im just sharing a weird experience that has some relation to the topic stated.

Well it was last year when I was in a rush to get my safety check because I've been putting it off till the last minute. At my first attempt, I didnt pass even with stock suspension. Reason behind this is because of 3 things...

1st... My H.I.D's as the light source emitted a bluish type color. Totally understandable as my HID's were 4300k and they're like that when warming up.FAIL..

2nd... Front windshield has items that are an obstruction of view. I had my iclub.com sticker and SUBY*LIFE sticker in the uniformed place which was in the black section on the far lower right corner of the windshield. FAIL. Then the Safety Inspector tells me that the only sticker that is passable where my iclub.com & SUBYLIFE stickers were are the "KQMQ" radio station stickers. I was like WTF, whats the difference since there both technically considered items of obstruction of view but oh wells.

3... Rear Windshield had 2 little stickers and 1 medium size stickers. Its location of the 2 little stickers were on the farthest upper left hand corner of the rear windshield and the medium sticker was on the farthest lower right hand corner of the windshield.

Now've headed back home to correct all the problems. Next day I went again to the safety check station and I passed.Went home and put all the illegal stuffs back on. Oh yeah, I had my BBS wheels on during this whole ordeal and they didnt bother me about the wheels being an inch bigger than my RS/WRX wheels.

But what got me realizing is lets say for example a swapped '93 GC with a '06 STi motor powered by either Hydra or Standalone, will they even go that far into checking to see if its Hydra or Standalone?? Im sure 99% of the inspectors dont know about that type of swaps but lets say that 1% does come by and he knows all the stuff about hydra/standalone/emissions free JDM motors.. Will it pass?? Didnt see anything relevant towards my question in any of the documents I've reviewed through here or on goggle but then again I didnt have my glasses on!!! ANy insight will be appreciated. Also has any attempted to try and get their safety check will their coil over system on their car and the coilovers were painted black to give a stock look??

thanks,
walter
Are you asking if you need recon for a motor swap?
Everytime I have gone they do the bounce test regardless of what your suspension is (or what color it is painted)
Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM
banned

Car Info: .
Here are the laws regarding vehicle noise levels:
I've also added it to the first page

HRS §291-24.5 Motor vehicle muffler.
(a) No person shall use on a public highway, sell, alter or install a muffler which will noticeably increase the noise emitted by a motor vehicle above that emitted by the vehicle as equipped from the factory.

Sec. 15-19.28 Mufflers--Noise-controlling devices.
(a) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on a public highway or street unless such motor vehicle is equipped, at all times, with a muffler or mufflers in constant operation and of such length and size or of sufficient capacity for the motor and/or exhaust system to prevent the escape of excessive or annoying fumes or smoke, and excessive or unusual noise. The term "excessive or unusual noise," as used in this section, means noise in excess of the usual noise which would necessarily result from the operation of a motor when reduced to the minimum by a muffler such as is defined herein.

(c) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on a public highway or street with a motor and/or exhaust system which has been altered or modified to such an extent that the noise emitted by the motor and/or exhaust system thereof shall be deemed excessive or unusual as defined herein, or equipped with a dummy muffler, cut-out, by-pass or other similar device.

(d) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on a public highway equipped with an exhaust system or device which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such motor vehicle above that emitted by the exhaust system or device with which the motor vehicle came originally equipped from the factory.

Last edited by reid-o; 10-22-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 PM
banned

Originally Posted by UnpimpeD
This is what I would suggest.
Form a civilians group, contact people on the board Ex: Kymberly Pine, Try to get support from the DOT and HPD as was done with the repeal.
Just in my honest opinion I do not think anything is going to happen without the support of at least the DOT.

I would also find an automotive "expert" to prove/disprove any points that you try to make.
The more I read, the more I realize that there are more citations that officers could give out but don't. I suspect it's because they don't know the HRS and HAR that well. It reminds me of people who can't dance. They do like 2 moves and just repeat them over and over again even when the song changes. I need to do more research before I contact anyone. There's nothing like an uninformed lobbyist.

I just posted the HRS regarding mufflers and vehicle noise.

Who the hell writes the HAR, by the way? The HRS are designed to allow for flexibility, and it seems like they're not revised very often, but the HAR are more specific and are revised frequently? I'll go look into it.

Last edited by reid-o; 10-22-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:30 PM
banned

Main page updated with typical fees and laws regarding noise

Last edited by reid-o; 10-22-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by reid-o
Main page updated with typical fees and laws regarding noise
Wow, excellent job Reid.. One of the many perks for working for the State(Access to documents)??
Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
front winshield stickers need to be approved by the chief of police...

rear stickers...shouldnt matter...its all about the field of view...as long as your equipped with 2 side view mirrors...you could have it completely blacked out...
Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM

Car Info: kitanai kuroi kuruma

HRS §291-24.5 Motor vehicle muffler.
(a) No person shall use on a public highway, sell, alter or install a muffler which will noticeably increase the noise emitted by a motor vehicle above that emitted by the vehicle as equipped from the factory.
Wow, that pretty much means everyone with an aftermarket exhaust is illegal. Including all those pickups with loud exhausts.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:14 AM
banned

Seems easily contestable. It doesn't state a decibel level. It's establishing the criteria through a comparison, which is completely subjective and relative.

Maybe that's why it's not used as much
Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 08 LR STI
Question about safety checks: if your vehicle comes with factory tint (AKA privacy glass on SUVs), can the inspector charge you the additional $5 for tint inspection?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 PM

Car Info: 07 pearl white wrx
for suv's, only the front matters. but if all of your windows are tinted than yeah they will charge you extra
Old 12-04-2008, 09:13 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
Seems easily contestable. It doesn't state a decibel level. It's establishing the criteria through a comparison, which is completely subjective and relative.

Maybe that's why it's not used as much
I was given a ticket for "loud exhaust" when I had my RS. The explanation that I was given is that if the officer can hear the exhaust from 30ft or more then it is in violation. Well this also seems pretty subjective and I'm fairly certain that even stock I could hear a car from 30ft if it was night and not a lot going on. The explanation and "30ft rule" are completely bogus and I could not help but laugh as I heard the officers mustang pull away....and down the street....and around the corner.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:30 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
^^I know you can get a sound violation if they can hear your stereo from 30' =D. Is exhaust a sound violation citation or a recon issue? Or could they be total asses and tag you for both? A "loud exhaust" ticket sounds like a way to try scare you going back to stock. sounds really easy to beat.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:48 PM

Car Info: GC8 Type-R, BH5 Wangon Gen3 and 05 SV650 Naked!
^^ you sure he heard your exhaust and not his own?
btw recon makes no sense to have because most cop cars have loud exhaust.
pluse I can hear stock G35/350Z exhaust 30ft away...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 AM

Car Info: none
well i got pulled over today on piikoi... i was speeding probably but miraculously they didn't get a reading on my car... so they step out into the street and flag me down. Officer tells me that she thinks I was going faster than the flow of traffic, which I played dumb. Then she asks me if I have recon for my muffler. And I say no and that I thought it wasn't an item on the recon test. She tells me that's not true and gives me a ticket for no recon for muffler. lol I guess she was mad that she couldn't get my speed and decided she had to give me SOME kind of citation..

Quick Reply: Reid's Recon/ Safety Check Information Thread