Go Back  i-Club > Regional Forums > Hawaii
Reid's Recon/ Safety Check Information Thread >

Reid's Recon/ Safety Check Information Thread

Notices

Reid's Recon/ Safety Check Information Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:13 PM
  #31  
Registered User
 
mo & jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: HAWAII-GOTTA HAVE DA SUBYS!!!
Posts: 512
Car Info: 05 rs 2.5 and 03 wrx bug eye
yup i got 18s so i need recon
mo & jo is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 PM
  #32  
banned
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .
Posts: 347
Car Info: .
Originally Posted by mo & jo View Post
yup i got 18s so i need recon

You still should be able to get a safety check, though.
I don't think they're cracking down on that at service stations.
But if you have coilovers, you may have a problem getting safety
reid-o is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 PM
  #33  
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
houdni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,129
Car Info: 06 STi
rims are no longer a recon item...as long as they dont protrude the fenderwell...

exhaust is no longer a recon item...but at the discretion of the inspector...as they have no db meters to enforce it.... but in the rule book it does say no louder than stock...

as for the bounce test...i do not believe in a 2 inch bounce test...why? most stock cars wont even pass their bounce test...and they know it... 2nd reason...a 200 lb man does not even compare to the weight of a vehicle... i believe there should be 2-3 inches of suspension travel....so measure tire to body...

Last edited by houdni; 10-16-2008 at 07:50 PM.
houdni is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 PM
  #34  
banned
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .
Posts: 347
Car Info: .
Originally Posted by houdni View Post
rims are no longer a recon item...as long as they dont protrude the fenderwell...

exhaust is no longer a recon item...but at the discretion of the inspector...as they have no db meters to enforce it.... but in the rule book it does say no louder than stock...

as for the bounce test...i do not believe in a 2 inch bounce test...why? most stock cars wont even pass their bounce test...and they know it... 2nd reason...a 200 lb man does not even compare to the weight of a vehicle... i believe there should be 2-3 inches of suspension travel....so measure tire to body...

When you say rims and exhaust are no longer a recon item, are you referring to a change in the resconstructed vehicle testing or referring to a change in the HRS or the HAR? I think they update the HAR, but I havent been able to find it in print. That's something I'm trying to clarify in this thread. Because I haven't seen any type of revision to the statute, but it seems the testing has changed.

I think most people conflate the 2 as one in the same.

Last edited by reid-o; 10-22-2008 at 01:17 PM.
reid-o is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 PM
  #35  
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
Irish_car_B0mb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upper North Bay
Posts: 6,974
Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
I know us bay area folk are always pissed when we get ref'd it sound like you fellas on the islands have a hell of a time even when your cars are stock let alone if you put an exhaust or anything on it.
Irish_car_B0mb is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 PM
  #36  
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
substitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mililani
Posts: 506
Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
Originally Posted by reid-o View Post
When you say rims and exhaust are no longer a recon item, are you referring to a change in the resconstructed vehicle testing or referring to a change in the statute (law)?

Seems like a change in testing procedure & not the actual statute. When I did recon a few months ago, they stated the "rules" had just changed (with respect to not needing recon for oversized rims).

I can't believe the HAR pertaining to recon is 22 years old. Older than some of HIIC's members!
substitude is offline  
Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 AM
  #37  
VIP Member
iTrader: (20)
 
kolohe_04sti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ewa Beach, HI
Posts: 1,641
Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
you guys need to remember that once you obtain a recon permit, any mods added to the car that was not listed in the initial inspection must be added to your paper permit. you need to call for another appointment and have your vehicle reispected and re-issued a new permit. it will be marked "updated". otherwise, you can get cited for "illegal recon".

just want to share this.
kolohe_04sti is offline  
Old 10-17-2008, 10:01 AM
  #38  
banned
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .
Posts: 347
Car Info: .
Originally Posted by substitude View Post
Seems like a change in testing procedure & not the actual statute. When I did recon a few months ago, they stated the "rules" had just changed (with respect to not needing recon for oversized rims).

I can't believe the HAR pertaining to recon is 22 years old. Older than some of HIIC's members!

Yes there's quite a bit of misinformation about reconstructed vehicles, but it's largely because the process is confusing.
There's a difference between the HRS, the HAR and the testing procedures. The HRS is broad but points to the HAR which is specific. And there's the testing procedures that appear unregulated and inconsistent.
And because the law has not changed, you can still TECHNICALLY get a ticket if you don't have recon for items, even though the testing procedures have been revised. The forumshawaii posts seem to ignore this fact. THe law still says that you need the permit if you meet the definition of reconstructed vehicle.
Because the testing procedures have change, police officers may overlook certain modifications, but until the statute is revised, they can still cite you.



Thanks for the help and clarification. I don't want everyone thinking that because the test has changed they can't be cited for not having the permit.

Last edited by reid-o; 10-22-2008 at 01:15 PM.
reid-o is offline  
Old 10-17-2008, 11:58 PM
  #39  
Registered User
iTrader: (12)
 
ReleaseDaKraken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ハワイ諸島
Posts: 518
Car Info: kitanai kuroi kuruma
Originally Posted by houdni View Post
as for the bounce test...i do not believe in a 2 inch bounce test...why? most stock cars wont even pass their bounce test...and they know it... 2nd reason...a 200 lb man does not even compare to the weight of a vehicle... i believe there should be 2-3 inches of suspension travel....so measure tire to body...
I agree with you 100%. A stock STi can't pass the bounce test. But the bottom line is, as soon as you modify your suspension, you have to pass the dreaded bounce test! From what the recon inspectors told me they're not concerned with what a stock car can or can't do, just cars that are modified from stock.

On a side note, a friend of mine who used to play with Hondas told me he got pulled over for recon violations. He had a valid recon permit. He gave the officer his paperwork, and the officer straight up tore it up and said it was no longer valid and gave him a recon ticket! That was a long time ago though. But I thought it was a funny story.

It's funny that the recon permit process does not follow the law. I guess we should be glad that it doesn't because it would be even harder to pass! The whole thing is so frustrating to me. Makes me lose faith in our legal system.

Here's another rant. I talked to my friend who passed recon for a lifted 4x4. He said they didn't do a bounce test. WTF? Wouldn't you think that a 4x4 that went to recon for a lifted suspension would have to do a bounce test? He wouldn't have passed either, I pushed on his fender and his suspesion was stiff enough for me not to be able to get 2" of travel. But when he goes off roading he gets plenty more than 2". Goes to show you that the bounce test does not and cannot show you the vehicles true suspension travel with a 200 lb person pressing down on the fender. DUH!

Ok, done with rant.

So what can we do to make our situation better? I'm kinda afraid that if we start making noise, we could potentially make things worse if they decide to follow the law to a tee.
ReleaseDaKraken is offline  
Old 10-18-2008, 12:10 AM
  #40  
banned
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .
Posts: 347
Car Info: .
Originally Posted by ReleaseDaKraken View Post
I agree with you 100%. A stock STi can't pass the bounce test. But the bottom line is, as soon as you modify your suspension, you have to pass the dreaded bounce test! From what the recon inspectors told me they're not concerned with what a stock car can or can't do, just cars that are modified from stock.

On a side note, a friend of mine who used to play with Hondas told me he got pulled over for recon violations. He had a valid recon permit. He gave the officer his paperwork, and the officer straight up tore it up and said it was no longer valid and gave him a recon ticket! That was a long time ago though. But I thought it was a funny story.

It's funny that the recon permit process does not follow the law. I guess we should be glad that it doesn't because it would be even harder to pass! The whole thing is so frustrating to me. Makes me lose faith in our legal system.

Here's another rant. I talked to my friend who passed recon for a lifted 4x4. He said they didn't do a bounce test. WTF? Wouldn't you think that a 4x4 that went to recon for a lifted suspension would have to do a bounce test? He wouldn't have passed either, I pushed on his fender and his suspesion was stiff enough for me not to be able to get 2" of travel. But when he goes off roading he gets plenty more than 2". Goes to show you that the bounce test does not and cannot show you the vehicles true suspension travel with a 200 lb person pressing down on the fender. DUH!

Ok, done with rant.

So what can we do to make our situation better? I'm kinda afraid that if we start making noise, we could potentially make things worse if they decide to follow the law to a tee.
The alternative would be PERHAPS to lobby for more specific laws, while requesting a revision for the reconstructed vehicle definition or a general repeal of the whole law. Right now, it's so general that it gives them the leeway to just test whatever and give citations for whatever.
Most of what I've posted hints to public concerns over loud cars. So we could perhaps lobby for more specific laws with hopes that they'll do away with this more general one. Everyone complains but does nothing. The reason the law is so general is because old people SHOW UP to neighborhood board meetings. And the police do field many complaints of loud cars etc.. We have no representation, really


Your point about your friend's Honda explains how misinformed people are about the distinction between the statute and testing. They can give you the permit, and you can still get a ticket because the definition of reconstructed vehicle is retardly broad. At first I was in favor of changing the testing, but your friend's story makes me think that the statute really needs revision. I just figured that was the harder of the 2 to have changed.




And I agree. We might end up screwing ourselves. I personally think that "maybe" a well written exhaust decibel law would help, as I could live with a quieter car for example, so long as I can keep my suspension, larger turbo, and total disregard for emissions. I think more specific laws is the way to go for now--only if they repeal the reconstructed vehicle statute. While it may mean that some of us will be ticketed, it means that we can't ALL be targetted whenever. And if the rules are specific, we can at least abide them. Right now, and this hyperbole, I think my Subylife sticker may actually violate the statute, as it's a "body reconstruction."

Last edited by reid-o; 10-18-2008 at 12:29 AM.
reid-o is offline  
Old 10-18-2008, 01:57 AM
  #41  
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
substitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mililani
Posts: 506
Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
Originally Posted by reid-o View Post
....I think my Subylife sticker may actually violate the statute, as it's a "body reconstruction."
Dang, I guess the same holds true for my B4 emblem. But wait, I do... by some weird twist of fate... have a recon sticker! (sorry Steve)

They (hopefully) won't mess with me! (more so b/c they'll think I'm a Camry....sorry Reid, I couldn't resist).
substitude is offline  
Old 10-18-2008, 02:01 AM
  #42  
Registered User
iTrader: (12)
 
ReleaseDaKraken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ハワイ諸島
Posts: 518
Car Info: kitanai kuroi kuruma
I think that is the way to go. I could definitely deal with an exhaust decibel law if it meant that the reconstructed vehicle statute was repealed.
ReleaseDaKraken is offline  
Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 PM
  #43  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hawaii Kai
Posts: 135
Car Info: VW R32 02 WRX
UnpimpeD is offline  
Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 AM
  #44  
VIP Member
iTrader: (39)
 
dub81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seibukan Dojo /HI. Kendo Federation
Posts: 4,939
Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Im just sharing a weird experience that has some relation to the topic stated.


Well it was last year when I was in a rush to get my safety check because I've been putting it off till the last minute. At my first attempt, I didnt pass even with stock suspension. Reason behind this is because of 3 things...

1st... My H.I.D's as the light source emitted a bluish type color. Totally understandable as my HID's were 4300k and they're like that when warming up.FAIL..


2nd... Front windshield has items that are an obstruction of view. I had my iclub.com sticker and SUBY*LIFE sticker in the uniformed place which was in the black section on the far lower right corner of the windshield. FAIL. Then the Safety Inspector tells me that the only sticker that is passable where my iclub.com & SUBYLIFE stickers were are the "KQMQ" radio station stickers. I was like WTF, whats the difference since there both technically considered items of obstruction of view but oh wells.


3... Rear Windshield had 2 little stickers and 1 medium size stickers. Its location of the 2 little stickers were on the farthest upper left hand corner of the rear windshield and the medium sticker was on the farthest lower right hand corner of the windshield.


Now've headed back home to correct all the problems. Next day I went again to the safety check station and I passed.Went home and put all the illegal stuffs back on. Oh yeah, I had my BBS wheels on during this whole ordeal and they didnt bother me about the wheels being an inch bigger than my RS/WRX wheels.

But what got me realizing is lets say for example a swapped '93 GC with a '06 STi motor powered by either Hydra or Standalone, will they even go that far into checking to see if its Hydra or Standalone?? Im sure 99% of the inspectors dont know about that type of swaps but lets say that 1% does come by and he knows all the stuff about hydra/standalone/emissions free JDM motors.. Will it pass?? Didnt see anything relevant towards my question in any of the documents I've reviewed through here or on goggle but then again I didnt have my glasses on!!! ANy insight will be appreciated. Also has any attempted to try and get their safety check will their coil over system on their car and the coilovers were painted black to give a stock look??



thanks,
walter

Last edited by dub81; 10-22-2008 at 02:11 AM.
dub81 is offline  
Old 10-22-2008, 12:06 PM
  #45  
Registered User
 
Sarah aka Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Honolulu - Salt Lake
Posts: 422
Car Info: Silver Subaru WRX 2005 (STI wing and interior)
Originally Posted by reid-o View Post
The alternative would be PERHAPS to lobby for more specific laws, while requesting a revision for the reconstructed vehicle definition or a general repeal of the whole law. Right now, it's so general that it gives them the leeway to just test whatever and give citations for whatever.
Most of what I've posted hints to public concerns over loud cars. So we could perhaps lobby for more specific laws with hopes that they'll do away with this more general one. Everyone complains but does nothing. The reason the law is so general is because old people SHOW UP to neighborhood board meetings. And the police do field many complaints of loud cars etc.. We have no representation, really


Your point about your friend's Honda explains how misinformed people are about the distinction between the statute and testing. They can give you the permit, and you can still get a ticket because the definition of reconstructed vehicle is retardly broad. At first I was in favor of changing the testing, but your friend's story makes me think that the statute really needs revision. I just figured that was the harder of the 2 to have changed.




And I agree. We might end up screwing ourselves. I personally think that "maybe" a well written exhaust decibel law would help, as I could live with a quieter car for example, so long as I can keep my suspension, larger turbo, and total disregard for emissions. I think more specific laws is the way to go for now--only if they repeal the reconstructed vehicle statute. While it may mean that some of us will be ticketed, it means that we can't ALL be targetted whenever. And if the rules are specific, we can at least abide them. Right now, and this hyperbole, I think my Subylife sticker may actually violate the statute, as it's a "body reconstruction."
I must say I admire everyone who has posted up useful information on this thread. I think its awesome that people take the time to look for, review and discuss the issues that effect them. I also think it is important that we all seriously consider getting some legal paper work to lobby to get our voices heard. I know we are all tired of getting pulled over, ticketed, profiled and messed around by the state but nothing is going to change that but us.

I have some family in the government (the east coast unfortunately) but I will ask them how we should approach this and what will be the best way to get our voices heard. If anyone is willing to assist in this please post up so we can go forward this the proceedings.

For those who dont think a few people can make a difference, i have a story for you.

My father lives in a small town in MA. This huge power company had made a deal with the state during the energy crises a few years ago and was planning SIX power plants with in a TWENTY mile radius of my fathers town. The state was buying peoples homes to tare down and make room for these power plants. My father and about 30 town residence were outraged so they formed a group. They fought at the town level, the county level they even went to the state house to fight for what they wanted, and you know what, they won...

let me know if your really interested in fighting this, I'll do everything I can to assist.
Sarah aka Star is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reid's Recon/ Safety Check Information Thread


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.