Questions about moving to Hawaii.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Go find an Army recruiter and tell him you'll sign up right now if you can get stationed at Schofield Barracks. Problem solved.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:16 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
1. How long did it take you guys to ship your cars?
I got it done in 2 weeks from Northland services if you are shipping from Seattle or can and cost me about $1700 when I did it. http://www.northlandservicesinc.com/ScheduleHawaii.aspx

2. How long before moving did you start with the paperwork, and have the cars shipped?
I got it done over the phone and gotta be there wednesday for Friday shipping.
3. How did you move your other posessions, i.e. furniture, appliances, tools? I'll be graduating with my degree in Automotive Technology and my tools have to come with me if I can get a job.
Can go same way,...you get a container..
4. Are there any places in Hawaii that import parts from Japan? That may sound like a ridiculous question, but after looking at the cost to ship my car alone, I wonder if I should just part it out to afford the move and start over with a fresh car when we arrive.
You can order from Japanparts.com or try hkc-speed.com or others. Shipping costs still wreaks to Hawaii though,..
5. How is the job situation, specifically automotive?
Guess it's who you know and your qualifications,..but good luck,.hope you enjoy Hawaii...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Go find an Army recruiter and tell him you'll sign up right now if you can get stationed at Schofield Barracks. Problem solved.
Actually that would be a whole new set of problems lol.....
Old 02-06-2008, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
http://www.movingcenter.com/mc.dll?p...rtner=HONOLULU

some rentals to look over:
I didn't put a max $$amt, so all listings pull up, but you can tailor the search to a price range under $1k a month.
http://www.apartments.com/partner/re...99999&perpg=30

Last edited by 808subaru; 02-06-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
Originally Posted by austinp02
Well I don't want to be a naysayer man just a realist. I think that Hawaii is just about the worst place you can pick to transfer to just for school. For starters any place you find that is decent to live here is gonna cost you an arm and a leg. Secondly everything from gas to milk is more expensive. Not to offend the locals but the school system including the universities are fairly substandard compared to the mainland. Finally the cost of shipping vehicles and all your household goods without some sort of assistance from the government/military (im in the marines) is going to be retarded expensive. Finally if you are planning to work your way through school here it can be very difficult to find a good job if you dont know people (read; locals dont like outsiders). In my humble opinion if you have the money to put into all that just to go to school here then you probably arent hurting for cash and really dont need to go to school anyway. That or you just love debt. Good luck with your decision and again I dont mean to sound all negative as this is a beautiful place with alot of perks, I am just telling it how it is.
-Mike

ouch that hurts, mike...i'm not originally from here but my wife and kids are born and raised here. i've been here for about 15 years so i guess that makes me a local...most of what he said though, is a given. real estate is sky high, including rent (but c'mon, you wanted a piece of paradise, do you?), basic goods and necessities, food, fuel, etc. are more expensive. do a lot of research...obviously you are young and adventurous, but this is hawaii...one of the most sought-after places in the world. but you know that already. in as far as locals not liking outsiders...well, i heard about it, but i haven't really experienced it here in honolulu, nor the people i know or worked with. i guess if you come here, you need to learn the laid-back culture, and respect that. you don't come into someone's house and do whatever you want...over here, you gotta take off your "flip flops" aka slippahs before you go inside one house...and you are
in any case i am not discouraging you to come here. it's a beautiful place, with beautiful people...and yes, traffic here is bad, but they promised us a light rail transit and a racetrack.....the future looks good!!!

Last edited by kolohe_04sti; 02-07-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
ouch that hurts, mike...i'm not originally from here but my wife and kids are born and raised here. i've been here for about 15 years so i guess that makes me a local...most of what he said though, is a given. real estate is sky high, including rent (but c'mon, you wanted a piece of paradise, do you?), basic goods and necessities, food, fuel, etc. are more expensive. do a lot of research...obviously you are young and adventurous, but this is hawaii...one of the most sought-after places in the world. but you know that already. in as far as locals not liking outsiders...well, i heard about it, but i haven't really experienced it here in honolulu, nor the people i know or worked with. i guess if you come here, you need to learn the laid-back culture, and respect that. you don't come into someone's house and do whatever you want...over here, you gotta take off your "flip flops" aka slippahs before you go inside one house...and you are
in any case i am not discouraging you to come here. it's a beautiful place, with beautiful people...and yes, traffic here is bad, but they promised us a light rail transit and a racetrack.....the future looks good!!!
yessssssss!!