Questions about moving to Hawaii.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Car Info: '95 Subaru Impreza
Questions about moving to Hawaii.

My girlfriend just got accepted into a grad school in Honolulu. We're still looking at options and waiting to hear back from other schools, but I'm trying to figure out how much time and money this move would cost us. I have a few questions for you that have moved there.

1. How long did it take you guys to ship your cars?
2. How long before moving did you start with the paperwork, and have the cars shipped?
3. How did you move your other posessions, i.e. furniture, appliances, tools? I'll be graduating with my degree in Automotive Technology and my tools have to come with me if I can get a job.
4. Are there any places in Hawaii that import parts from Japan? That may sound like a ridiculous question, but after looking at the cost to ship my car alone, I wonder if I should just part it out to afford the move and start over with a fresh car when we arrive.
5. How is the job situation, specifically automotive?

I appreciate any info/advice. I searched and read the threads regarding shipping cars, but I didn't find any answers to these questions.

Last edited by t3hWIT; 02-05-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
no parting out! GC's FTMFW

you can call matson or verizon lines or young brothers for thoes quotes.

also shipping parts to hawaii sucks ***** b/c of shipping
Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 PM

I read a few posts saying about how their car got damaged going through Matson, so I didn't get a quote from them. Have you used them? I went to Horizon and Northland, and only one of them was able to give me a quote (I forget which one). It came out to roughly $2300. That covered the shipping from Harrisburg PA (the drop off point), an enclosed container, as well as $5000 insurance. I understand that my car is just a '95 Impreza L, but means more to me than it's resale value and I want it taken well care of.

My girlfriend also wants to bring her Chevy Aveo which will receive similar treatment, only with more insurance since it is a new car. We will be given enough money to just barely cover the cost of shipping the cars, but I still don't know what will happen to the rest of our belongings. I know I have a few months to save (again, if this is the school she decides to go to), but I'm going on a trip to Japan and a trip to the UK, so money is extremely tight.

I was originally hoping that we could rent a large container for both cars and our belongings, but I don't see that working out.

Last edited by t3hWIT; 02-05-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
my friend works at matson this is what he wrote

http://club808.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35580#35580

Originally Posted by 02specv
There are 4 maybe 5 ways to ship your cars.
1- container. i wouldnt recomend this. it is true, your car is safe from the elements. (salt water etc..) but the container is small. And if a stevedore
has a hard time getting in ur car damage will result. can hold up to 2 auto's.
2- ro ro. roll on, roll off. we drive ur car on & off the ship. (need i say more?)
we load up to 300 to 400 auto's on the ship.
3- flat rack. i dont think this rack was made for autos. but if u want to take a chance go fo it. can hold only 2 auto's.

4- autorack. almost looks like a flat rack but this auto rack has two teir's
& it was made for auto's. can hold up to 4 auto's.

5- i think would be the most ideal. but who is rich enough to own a trailer ?
we would load ur trailer on the ship. never to touch ur car.

outerisland shipping?
Young Brothers & Matson has barges going to all islands. so this is ro, ro style. we drive it on & off the barges.
* as for the super ferry. no word yet.
**if ur car is slammed. make sure u check the undercarriage after the shipping.

some pics. (camera phone)
flat rack

autorack

if i had to ship my Spec i would choose auto rack.
**forgot to add. Horizon Lines has ships going to the mainland. i only notice they have containerized shipping.
***Pasha Auto Ship. ro ro style. we drive it on & off.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:02 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx vf34 281hp/276tq
Well I don't want to be a naysayer man just a realist. I think that Hawaii is just about the worst place you can pick to transfer to just for school. For starters any place you find that is decent to live here is gonna cost you an arm and a leg. Secondly everything from gas to milk is more expensive. Not to offend the locals but the school system including the universities are fairly substandard compared to the mainland. Finally the cost of shipping vehicles and all your household goods without some sort of assistance from the government/military (im in the marines) is going to be retarded expensive. Finally if you are planning to work your way through school here it can be very difficult to find a good job if you dont know people (read; locals dont like outsiders). In my humble opinion if you have the money to put into all that just to go to school here then you probably arent hurting for cash and really dont need to go to school anyway. That or you just love debt. Good luck with your decision and again I dont mean to sound all negative as this is a beautiful place with alot of perks, I am just telling it how it is.
-Mike
Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I forget who i shipped through but it was off of Matson's site because they only go over the ocean.

it was $1,700 from Honolulu to Cincinnati. Car came to me fine and dandy in like 5-6 weeks.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
I used Horizon last fall to ship a car, in a container $1000. You want a sealed container, not sitting out on the ship's deck for a week. Also, my friend shipped her truck from Pontoon beach, IL. to hawaii for $1400 with DAS i believe.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
my friend works at matson this is what he wrote

http://club808.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35580#35580
Thanks, that gives me a better idea of what we're looking at.

Originally Posted by austinp02
Well I don't want to be a naysayer man just a realist. I think that Hawaii is just about the worst place you can pick to transfer to just for school. For starters any place you find that is decent to live here is gonna cost you an arm and a leg. Secondly everything from gas to milk is more expensive. Not to offend the locals but the school system including the universities are fairly substandard compared to the mainland. Finally the cost of shipping vehicles and all your household goods without some sort of assistance from the government/military (im in the marines) is going to be retarded expensive. Finally if you are planning to work your way through school here it can be very difficult to find a good job if you dont know people (read; locals dont like outsiders). In my humble opinion if you have the money to put into all that just to go to school here then you probably arent hurting for cash and really dont need to go to school anyway. That or you just love debt. Good luck with your decision and again I dont mean to sound all negative as this is a beautiful place with alot of perks, I am just telling it how it is.
-Mike
Thanks for that good swift kick in the junk. How does that go... oh, right. "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. My girlfriends cousin is in the Air Force and lives in Hawaii. He told her that if you are willing to live farther away from the major cities, the housing is affordable. We were looking at apartments and were quoted at around $600-1000 per month for an apartment slightly larger than the closet I'm living in now.

For a job, I was planning on sending my resume to the Subaru dealership just for a start. I have my electrical ASE pending a year's experience in the field and will be going for more testing this semester, so hopefully that will count for something.

We're not a couple of rich kids just looking for a cool place to spend a few years. In fact we're quite the opposite. She picked that college along with 5 others to apply to because of their program, not the location. I'm not going to say that the location wasn't a factor at all, but it's not the point in going.

Originally Posted by bpang1
I forget who i shipped through but it was off of Matson's site because they only go over the ocean.

it was $1,700 from Honolulu to Cincinnati. Car came to me fine and dandy in like 5-6 weeks.
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by 808subaru
I used Horizon last fall to ship a car, in a container $1000. You want a sealed container, not sitting out on the ship's deck for a week. Also, my friend shipped her truck from Pontoon beach, IL. to hawaii for $1400 with DAS i believe.
That's not bad at all.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 PM

Ya, again I'm not tryin to be negative, but I'm going back to school this fall once I get out of the military and I can tell you that it would be very difficult for us to stay here and maintain the lifestyle we want. Workin your way through college is no easy task, I know cause I paid cash for my tuition and books out of pocket working full time through school. If you guys can make it happen then great for you, its an awsome experience you will never forget. However, my advice is make sure you know exactly what you are getting into so you can focus on school and having a good time vs worrying about how to make rent or afford food. It seems like you are putting in the time and doing your homework so again good luck! One more little tidbit of thought to chew on here; I dont know if your plans after school are to stay here or go back to the mainland, but if plan to go back home just remember you will have to spend all that money a second time to ship your stuff back home and that added to the additional cost of living here you could use that money to make a decent size downpayment on a house somewhere once you get settled into your careers. Good luck with your decision and I hope everything goes great for you either way!
-Mike
Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP WRX Wagon & SGM 2.5i wagon
Originally Posted by t3hWIT
My girlfriend just got accepted into a grad school in Honolulu. We're still looking at options and waiting to hear back from other schools, but I'm trying to figure out how much time and money this move would cost us. I have a few questions for you that have moved there.

1. How long did it take you guys to ship your cars?
2. How long before moving did you start with the paperwork, and have the cars shipped?
3. How did you move your other posessions, i.e. furniture, appliances, tools? I'll be graduating with my degree in Automotive Technology and my tools have to come with me if I can get a job.
4. Are there any places in Hawaii that import parts from Japan? That may sound like a ridiculous question, but after looking at the cost to ship my car alone, I wonder if I should just part it out to afford the move and start over with a fresh car when we arrive.
5. How is the job situation, specifically automotive?

I appreciate any info/advice. I searched and read the threads regarding shipping cars, but I didn't find any answers to these questions.
My parents just moved back here two weeks ago from the DC area, so fairly close to you. They shipped both of their cars with Matson for $4,000 each. The cars took 5 weeks to get from DC to Honolulu. No problems.

I also shipped a car with Matson from the midwest when I moved back to Hawaii after school and it cost about $2,000.
I only have one complaint.
Matson hires independent truckers to pick up the vehicle, which turned into a hassle for me. The trucker basically forgot to pick up the car and the next truck was not going through for another month so I had to sign a crap ton of paper work which allowed a friend to load the car for me and the car did not get to hawaii until I had been here for two months.

You should contact Matson for info on when trucks will be in your area for pick up because it seems the third party truckers wait until they have a full load for pick up... at least that is what happened in my case.

It is VERY expensive to ship your furniture here. I looked into movers and on averages they charged $14 a cubic ft to ship stuff to hawaii. When I moved back I sold almost everything I owned and shipped the few boxes I had USPS.

Hope you find this helpful!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
yep as mike stated it is EXPENSIVE to live here i have a hard enough time getting by and i was grown here not flown here being that my family is from here as well.. but we do get by.. its fairly easy to make friends(in my case anyway) ive been around the world surfing and just plain couch trippin and if you do come here youll find people are willing to help out just a little bit more here it seems (to me anyway) as you can probably tell by how quick and in detail your request was responded to so good luck hopefully we have another hiic club member arriving soon!!
Warren
Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by austinp02
Ya, again I'm not tryin to be negative, but I'm going back to school this fall once I get out of the military and I can tell you that it would be very difficult for us to stay here and maintain the lifestyle we want. Workin your way through college is no easy task, I know cause I paid cash for my tuition and books out of pocket working full time through school. If you guys can make it happen then great for you, its an awsome experience you will never forget. However, my advice is make sure you know exactly what you are getting into so you can focus on school and having a good time vs worrying about how to make rent or afford food. It seems like you are putting in the time and doing your homework so again good luck! One more little tidbit of thought to chew on here; I dont know if your plans after school are to stay here or go back to the mainland, but if plan to go back home just remember you will have to spend all that money a second time to ship your stuff back home and that added to the additional cost of living here you could use that money to make a decent size downpayment on a house somewhere once you get settled into your careers. Good luck with your decision and I hope everything goes great for you either way!
-Mike
Again, thanks for the advice Mike. My girlfriend is going to be talking to the school's relocation advisor, and I asked her to bring up all these things that I'm concerned about. At a bare minimum, I need my computer, clothes, and my tools. My tool chest is the size of a medium-sized refrigerator, but without that I can't work.

If she ends up going to this school, we'll have to work something out at least, even if it means puttering around on a bike until we can afford our cars.

Originally Posted by eRicaSWGN
My parents just moved back here two weeks ago from the DC area, so fairly close to you. They shipped both of their cars with Matson for $4,000 each. The cars took 5 weeks to get from DC to Honolulu. No problems.

I also shipped a car with Matson from the midwest when I moved back to Hawaii after school and it cost about $2,000.
I only have one complaint.
Matson hires independent truckers to pick up the vehicle, which turned into a hassle for me. The trucker basically forgot to pick up the car and the next truck was not going through for another month so I had to sign a crap ton of paper work which allowed a friend to load the car for me and the car did not get to hawaii until I had been here for two months.

You should contact Matson for info on when trucks will be in your area for pick up because it seems the third party truckers wait until they have a full load for pick up... at least that is what happened in my case.

It is VERY expensive to ship your furniture here. I looked into movers and on averages they charged $14 a cubic ft to ship stuff to hawaii. When I moved back I sold almost everything I owned and shipped the few boxes I had USPS.

Hope you find this helpful!
Yes I did. I thought that maybe we could rent a container for all of this, but it looks like that's out of the question. I'm still a bit leary about using Matson because of the horror stories I've read, but I'll consider them. $4000 per car sounds pretty cheap; we were hoping to get both shipped for $5k.

Originally Posted by alienbreed69
yep as mike stated it is EXPENSIVE to live here i have a hard enough time getting by and i was grown here not flown here being that my family is from here as well.. but we do get by.. its fairly easy to make friends(in my case anyway) ive been around the world surfing and just plain couch trippin and if you do come here youll find people are willing to help out just a little bit more here it seems (to me anyway) as you can probably tell by how quick and in detail your request was responded to so good luck hopefully we have another hiic club member arriving soon!!
Warren
I am impressed by the quick replies. I joined I-Club specifically for this forum since it's the only one that seems to have a community and traffic.

I believe I already mentioned it, but this school isn't a definate. We're waiting to hear back from the schools in South Carolina as those were our first choices for practicality reasons. Hawaii would be badass, but so far everything I'm reading and hearing suggests that it's not a good choice financially.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 AM

Car Info: 2003 Jeep Wrangler 8" lift
Housing

Originally Posted by t3hWIT
Seriously though, thanks for the advice. My girlfriends cousin is in the Air Force and lives in Hawaii. He told her that if you are willing to live farther away from the major cities, the housing is affordable. We were looking at apartments and were quoted at around $600-1000 per month for an apartment slightly larger than the closet I'm living in now.
Im not sure where you are looking for these prices but that is total junk. Correct me if Im wrong people, been a few years since I paid rent, but I remember paying about $1500 for a 1 bedrooom apartment in Aiea.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by cmm929
Im not sure where you are looking for these prices but that is total junk. Correct me if Im wrong people, been a few years since I paid rent, but I remember paying about $1500 for a 1 bedrooom apartment in Aiea.
Ya, we live in Kaneohe wich is a bit more expensive than the western part of the island but still we got lucky and found a 1 bedroom for 1600 with utilities.
In my opinion you will pay at least that much for anything worth living in around here.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
well damn do i feel lucky i pay 1200 for a 2 bedrom in kailua and as far as i see the rental market is calming and becoming more affordable it seems... it all dpends if your in the right spot at the right time i guess

Quick Reply: Questions about moving to Hawaii.